Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2024, 01:22:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Game Mode  (Read 4781 times)
DuckOfDoom Offline
EIR Veteran

« on: June 12, 2009, 06:12:19 pm »

I think the majority of players will agree that attack/defend is a terrible way to play out the game most of the time.
It creates alot of problems for attackers on both sides. I think that the major problems with attack defend can be summed up in 3 points:

1) Defenders are essentially unmolested for the first 3 minutes of the game. Bar a suicidal airborne players (because dropping airborne into a hornets nest with 2-3 other players is just silly without something as OP as  THE OLD raid assault), nothing can disrupt the defenders during those 3 minutes, because even off-maps start with a recharge time (offmap howitzer shot starts out with 3 minute cooldown, for example), so that eliminates recon run + offmap combo.

2) Defenders get roughly 75% of the map to set up on, which gives them a huge lead in pop cap.

3) Attackers do not get additional benefits when attacking the defenders. Any normal army isnt going to attack a well defended position without some kind of artillery support/overwhelming number superiority to balance out the defenders advantage. What I am saying, in game terms, there is an advantage in being the defender but there is no advantage in being the attacker.

As it is, I propose a new game mode. Each side arrives on the field simultaneously and gets to deploy within the 25% of the map closest to its spawn. Troops in the middle of the map are subjected to artillery strikes just like in attack/defend, except both sides units will trigger that artillery. The deployment timer should be between 1m and 1m 30s. I think this combination will eliminate alot of current problems with attacking/defending.

For the sake of description, lets call this mode "Pitched battle". What do you guys think?

« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 06:13:50 pm by DuckOfDoom » Logged
AmPM Offline
Community Mapper

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 06:17:25 pm »

I prefer attack/defend because it actually feels like a battle.

Very rarely are you going to see two groups charging eachother.

Smokaz Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 06:24:55 pm »

A mode where both sides start at the same time should be a great diversion sometimes, and easy to code. "Skirmish" maybe??

"Elimination" would also be cool, where VP drain was reduced to 25% or 0% of what it is currently to allow for a more kill-each-other type of gameplay.

"Waterloo" - Like R/attack/defend, just with 60 pop. A huge battle is taking place, and numerous forces have arrived to wipe each other out.

"King of the hill" would also make for some exceptionally interesting games. A difficult to camp sector in the middle of the map which has to be held in your colour for 10 minutes for your side to win. Population loss speed is dramatically increased making harassment of the sides efffective and preventing someone from just camping the shit out of middle.

"Fort Alamo" - Defenders start with a 5 minute preparation time but a medium (8-10) population disadvantage. Pop increases equally for both sides as long as defenders hold their half the map.
- If they start losing sectors in their own half, their population gain is slowed more and more until they dont gain more and have to reclaim territory up to their half to gain.
- Essentially a scenario like: You are outnumbered by the enemy, and- have to defend at least half of the map against more numerous forces until the pop equals out representing allied forces coming to help you push back the enemy offensive.
- On the other side the attacking party needs to quell the defenders with their superior numbers before the fight turns even. Imo this change could be done to the current defensive mode giving the defenders a pop disadvantage to make up for their preparation time.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 06:30:51 pm by Smokaz » Logged

SlippedHerTheBigOne: big penis puma
SlippedHerTheBigOne: and i have no repairkits
SlippedHerTheBigOne: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
DasNoob Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 02:47:29 am »

Some of these ideas would fit into "featured" battles on a war map campaign.  I believe the meeting engagement will make a comeback for sure.

Quote from: fldash on Today at 06:22:34 PM
DISASTER AVERTED... IM A MOTHER FUCKING GENIUS!

You have DasNoob who uses the mod as COHTV
Duckordie Offline
Community Mapper

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 02:55:50 am »

How about

Royal mode: You start with 50pop, then after 60sec it goes to 0pop. Forcing you to  fight the hole game with those 50pop start at beginning of the game

^<-- Duck ™ and ©

We need more axis players!:
LeoPhone Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2009, 03:31:29 am »

headquarters mode!
there are some victory points around the map. at some point you get the message to capture one of them.
both teams try to capture it. the team that holds it, cant call in any more troops. they try to hold it as long as they can, untill the other team captures it, they can spawn units again, and at some point another message shows up that a VP somewhere else has to be captured.
while your team has captured the point and is defending it,  they could get more population, OR like in vCoH VP games, the counter is going slowly from 500 to 0. i think that last thing is the best, becouse then the territories in a map can just stay the same, and people keep fighting for the terrtiories for POP.

for the balance of the gammode: lets say there are 6 points on the field. 2 closer to the allied spawn, 2 in the middle, and 2 closer to the axis spawn.
when territories are tied, one of the 2 points in the middle you must cap, when allies are winning in terrtiory,
one of the points near axis spawn needs to be captured, and when axis are winning, one of the points close to allied spawn has to be captured.
this mode could even balance games even more than a normal game, becouse when the allies are winning, and holding a point close to the axis spawn, the allies cant spawn, so when axis captures the VP back, they get some time to capture theyr terrtiories back while allies are spawning, and when allies are on field again, battle is going on in the middle again.
ofcourse when a VP is captured , no other terrtiories should be able to capture to prevent backcapping cause one team has much less troops on the field.

and renember, you can still be anihalated before the counter comes to 0  Wink
Duckordie Offline
Community Mapper

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 03:43:15 am »

LeoPhone that mode wont work, it need to involve map updates and changes,
And we know how much EiRMOD and Unk0wn love to update maps, its like taking 50 hours of their lives  Kiss
LeoPhone Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2009, 03:48:41 am »

wel.. i would love to update some maps myselve, not too much ofcourse, becouse everyboddy needs to update them trough the launcher, and we first need to know if it would work, so far i think it would.
edit: and the only updating that needs to be done to the maps, is add a victory point or two.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 03:55:47 am by LeoPhone » Logged
Guderian Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2009, 02:47:36 pm »

"King of the hill" would also make for some exceptionally interesting games. A difficult to camp sector in the middle of the map which has to be held in your colour for 10 minutes for your side to win. Population loss speed is dramatically increased making harassment of the sides efffective and preventing someone from just camping the shit out of middle.

Ahhhh i see what you did there

Eir customer support staff.
Malevolence Offline
Donator

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2009, 04:00:22 pm »

Royal mode: You start with 50pop, then after 60sec it goes to 0pop. Forcing you to  fight the hole game with those 50pop start at beginning of the game

Defeats the purpose of building a full company and encourages cheese starts much worse than reinforcements mode ever did.

Akranadas' Greatest Hits, Volume 1:

Quote from: Akranadas
Vet has nothing to do with unit preformance.

Quote from: Akranadas
We are serious about enforcing this, and I am sure you all want to be able to have your balance thought considered by the development team with some biased, sensationalist coming into your thread and ruining it.
Guderian Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2009, 04:06:47 pm »

headquarters mode!
there are some victory points around the map. at some point you get the message to capture one of them.
both teams try to capture it. the team that holds it, cant call in any more troops. they try to hold it as long as they can, untill the other team captures it, they can spawn units again, and at some point another message shows up that a VP somewhere else has to be captured.
while your team has captured the point and is defending it,  they could get more population, OR like in vCoH VP games, the counter is going slowly from 500 to 0. i think that last thing is the best, becouse then the territories in a map can just stay the same, and people keep fighting for the terrtiories for POP.

for the balance of the gammode: lets say there are 6 points on the field. 2 closer to the allied spawn, 2 in the middle, and 2 closer to the axis spawn.
when territories are tied, one of the 2 points in the middle you must cap, when allies are winning in terrtiory,
one of the points near axis spawn needs to be captured, and when axis are winning, one of the points close to allied spawn has to be captured.
this mode could even balance games even more than a normal game, becouse when the allies are winning, and holding a point close to the axis spawn, the allies cant spawn, so when axis captures the VP back, they get some time to capture theyr terrtiories back while allies are spawning, and when allies are on field again, battle is going on in the middle again.
ofcourse when a VP is captured , no other terrtiories should be able to capture to prevent backcapping cause one team has much less troops on the field.

and renember, you can still be anihalated before the counter comes to 0  Wink

Support it.

Suggestion:

Capture the flag!
RikiRude Offline
Donator

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2009, 04:28:30 pm »

Cool ideas I've always liked the idea of

Battle mode where everyone comes on at the same time at 25 pop, but would be interesting if it was only 10 pop to start off. Or maybe 12, so if you call in a tank that's all you get, then the starting callins would have to be really discussed before hand. maybe one person just brings a few ATGs, one person brings a tank, and another brings  infantry.

Quote from: Killer344
Killer344: "Repent: sory no joke i just had savage diorea"
... or a fat ass cock sucking churchill being stupid
EliteGren Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2009, 04:31:07 pm »

My Idea of battle mode is probably covered as meeting engagements, which are coming back AFAIK.

i prefer to no u
Don't knock it til uve tried it bitchface, this isn't anything like salads version. Besides u said a semois conversion would never work, now look that's the most played map, ohgodwhy.jpg r u map lead
Piotrskivich Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2009, 04:38:14 pm »

Attack/Defend is fine but the attackers need a pop boost.
Smokaz Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2009, 06:20:52 pm »

Secret operation / small forest engagement mode:

- Everyone starts with 8 or 9 pop, population increase is very slow the first 10 minutes before everyones pop is instantly set to 40!

Teams will have to work together to counter the other team and gain a superior map position!

Imagine microing a single stormtrooper squad to defend your teammate's two m42s while a enemy ranger squad engages your other teammate's puma! Every click is important, epic lulz
Piotrskivich Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2009, 06:25:14 pm »

How about fast gameplay mod (option)

Everbody starts at 40 pop and pop limit is only effected to 30-50.
Tymathee Offline
Donator

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2009, 07:38:19 pm »

- Everyone starts with 8 or 9 pop, population increase is very slow the first 10 minutes before everyones pop is instantly set to 40!

Teams will have to work together to counter the other team and gain a superior map position!

Imagine microing a single stormtrooper squad to defend your teammate's two m42s while a enemy ranger squad engages your other teammate's puma! Every click is important, epic lulz

sounds fun. I'd love to see game modes where its armor heavy or infantry heavy, that'd be fun.

It can be like

both sides can only field infantry and support weapons

or you can it so both sides can only field basic infantry and armor.

"I want proof!"
"I have proof!"
"Whatever, I'm still right"

Dafuq man, don't ask for proof if you'll refuse it if it's not in your favor, logic fallacy for the bloody win.
Rocksitter Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2009, 07:44:16 pm »

This is the kind of thing I was talking about a while back i even made a post dealing with this type of game mode..

I think it would be a very tactical experience... Iam all for it..

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc