Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 07:25:53 am

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 26, 2024, 09:37:35 am]

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hey ma, no skill required!  (Read 12033 times)
Jazzhead Offline
EIR Veteran

« on: June 22, 2009, 05:15:24 pm »

I'm here to comment on the sad state of EIRR play right now. I have been playing this mod for a little while now, and up until recently i have absolutely loved it. I appreciate everything the devs have done to make it great.
BUT i think there are some severe problems with the balance.
I have noticed that 2 strategies reign supreme right now:
1) Support spam--simply sit behind your wall of mortars, mgs, and atgs, and wait until your opponent has nothing left.
2) Elite inf spam--i know they are called "elite" for a reason, but this does not mean that a player should be able to win with only these units. I have seen countless players spam commandos/rangers 'till the cows come home. (ex. last game a certain lvl7 player dropped in ~7 commando squads on me and buttraped me) It seems that using combined arms is just too tiresome for some players, and they must resort to spamming 1 unit type.  They spam and repeat until all of their units are vet 3 and then they become unstoppable.

My point is that right now in EIRR, the easiest way to win is to use strategies that clearly require no skill whatsoever. This mod should be all about using combined arms and teamwork, and not just bumrushing w/ elite inf or sitting behind an impenetrable fortress of support weapons.
I'm having a hard time bringing myself to play anymore with the balance in this sore state. I hope that things will change asap and I can find this fun again.

Pak88mm Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 05:17:34 pm »

i wish it was this easy but it isnt.

Exactly.

There is only so many times you can slaughter Lt Apollo, Rocksitter, and Alwaysloseguy24 before you get bored and fall asleep.

-GamesGuy-

Most Hated player in EiR....Pak88Mm
Dragon2008 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 05:25:31 pm »

Yep that why iv stopped playing myself. Like u sed too much Elite inf spam (mostly by the allies). I think the support weapon spam on the axis side is really to try and counter the amount of elite inf spam and blobs the allies keep using but fails badly for the axis. Get buttraped by mandos dropping from behind (most of time about 5-7 units dropped). Also the reason I refuse to play any brit player who uses mandos cos all they do is spam/blob them and think they got skill for doin it when the true fact they avnt.

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1100T @ 3.3ghz
RAM: 4GB
Motherboard: ASUS M5A99X (EVO)
Graphics Card: ATI HD 6970 2GB
Hard Drive: 1TB
Tymathee Offline
Donator

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 05:30:14 pm »

Yep that why iv stopped playing myself. Like u sed too much Elite inf spam (mostly by the allies). I think the support weapon spam on the axis side is really to try and counter the amount of elite inf spam and blobs the allies keep using but fails badly for the axis. Get buttraped by mandos dropping from behind (most of time about 5-7 units dropped). Also the reason I refuse to play any brit player who uses mandos cos all they do is spam/blob them and think they got skill for doin it when the true fact they avnt.

I find this so funny. I see just as many Storms and Falls (especially falls) and KCH as I do rangers and commandos so stop it already jesus.

and to the author of this thread, what about axis hmgs and mortars and their nebels? What about iht spam? And what about the endless 88's we have to deal with and the 3 panthers i see sometimes on the field in 3v3's. The countless heavy tanks and p4 spam and puma spam and ac spam etc etc. Both sides have their strategies, if you dont like it, then either

1. find an effective counter cuz there's always counters
2. play another game
3. Suck it up and keep playing for fun.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 05:33:01 pm by Tymathee » Logged

"I want proof!"
"I have proof!"
"Whatever, I'm still right"

Dafuq man, don't ask for proof if you'll refuse it if it's not in your favor, logic fallacy for the bloody win.
Mukip Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 05:31:38 pm »

Yep that why iv stopped playing myself. Like u sed too much support weapon spam spam (mostly by the axis). I think the elite inf spam on the allied side is really to try and counter the amount of support weapon spam and blobs the axis keep using but fails badly for the allies. Get buttraped by mg42s and mortars shooting from behind (most of time about 5-7 MGs used dropped). Also the reason I refuse to play any wehr player who uses support spam cos all they do is spam/blob them and think they got skill for doin it when the true fact they avnt.

Hey, being an opinionated victim is easy!
Glaze Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 05:35:28 pm »

1. Find an effective counter because there are always counters.
2. Play another game.

This.

Glaze (US)!
I am also...
Glazerman (PE)
Glaza (CW)
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 05:42:24 pm »

Keep it nice and civil guys, I don't want to see any flaming or bashing.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion and while he may be exaggerating claiming that 'it all takes no skill' and it's 'easy win' his post does hold some ground in regards to some situations that we have seen in this modification.

That being said, we very much encourage the combined arms game play approach and will see to it that most games do in fact rely on combined arms rather than 'easy blobs' and 'autopilot support teams'.

Personally I wouldn't go so far to claim that it's the 'only' thing you see nowadays, most of the games I have been playing have featured few actual (succesful) blobs and excessive amounts of support weapons but of course it does happen. Good teamwork and coordination can usually overcome these hurdles but that doesn't make it any less of a frustrating experience for the players having to coop with it.
Guderian Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 05:50:14 pm »

I have to say: I have seen very little axis or allies basic infantry....

Eir customer support staff.
brn4meplz Offline
Misinformation Officer

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 05:51:46 pm »

I only have basic infantry Sad ohh wait, no i got some storms on my blitz(2 squads)

Ohh and now that i think about it, my PE Scorched earth company has 4 squads of storms. it also has 10 Pgren squads too so my ratio is all good

He thinks Tactics is a breath mint

Wow I think that was the nicest thing brn ever posted!  Tongue

the pussy of a prostitute is not tight enough for destroy a condom Wink
Jazzhead Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 05:52:35 pm »

Ofc there are a lot of players out there who actually use combined arms and teamwork, but i think there are too many ppl still who do the opposite.  
I'm sure everyone can agree when i say that i don't mind when i'm defeated by someone who clearly outplayed me (superior flanking, etc), but i can't stand it when i was i was beaten by someone who just spammed.

I didn't mean to seem biased, its just that ive only played axis. I'm sure there are elite spammers and support spammer on both sides.

I'm just saying that i wish there was some way to deter this "style" of playing...
RubixCubed Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 05:53:24 pm »

i see more games like this..

button... PIATS!!!!!!

then the occasional 2-3 mortars every game.
Nijo Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 05:57:26 pm »

that would actualy mean that the armored player are skilled ones?

Grin

thats something i can life with Cheesy
Dragon2008 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2009, 05:58:06 pm »

1. Find an effective counter because there are always counters.
2. Play another game.

1. Kinda hard to counter a blob when ur full to ur pop cap or got no units which are good against counter blobin.

2. Doesnt really matter which game you go into cos there is always someone blobin either basic troops (Brits) or elite inf (mandos/rangers).

3. Facing blobs constantly in my view isnt fun at all but the absolute opposite.
brn4meplz Offline
Misinformation Officer

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2009, 06:01:49 pm »

I've rarely had a problem with blobs, Then again i use alot of tanks. for the most part i treat blobs like floods, Move out of the way and come back with someone else to shore up the defenses. They are still only infantry and still only run as fast as your infantry. and in the case of Brens, they even have to stop to fire.

If anything it's grenadier blobs that scare me the most because they can pack some Serious AT and every grenadier is deadly with that Kar98, from any range
dravidian Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2009, 06:38:39 pm »

for me its just a giant blob of doom, kch, mp44 pgrens everything!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dravidian_people
"I pimped slapped him man!" - Coh Commando
"Ah this is not the end, it is not even the beginning of the end, but, perhaps it is the end of the beginning!"
"Everyone loves Abbeville"-Cobol
Kangaroo- the very concept that you can put a blob in a can
Nevyen Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2009, 06:41:23 pm »

Tough one hey!

I find my company that has 4 hmgs 2 mortars  3 falls (all upgraded)  8 grenadiers (mostly upgraded)  8 volks (recrew and scout role) and my armour and bikes all rely on each other heavily

The HMG dosn't wotk without supporting antitank, which is my infantry and 2 tank destroyers.  The mortar on its own struggles with out infantry support,  So at all times i have one element of the 4 areas on the field.

I try not to stack in one area and role combo call ins to keep it even.

The struggle i found was dealing with commando's but then one day i witnessed 4 falls in ambush supported by a hmg and backed up with grenz and a stug take out 2 of those buggers who ran off once they hit 50%.

The thing is that to make that work you need good teamwork and good communication.  

Your probably right about elite infantry in some respects but its all about counters really, and how you approach the game.  Some players feel the need to have large numbers of Elite troops but then people seem to think my vet3 grens are elite troops as well.....

There is choice and flexibility but thanks for the point of view and will incorporate it as a discussion point in the ongoing process.

Cheers Nev.

Mgallun74 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2009, 06:42:19 pm »

meh, i can say same for Axis.. look mah, i have Tigers, King Tigers and Panthers oh my!

Tymathee Offline
Donator

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2009, 07:01:44 pm »

Let's see, last game i was infantry buddy commandos and ip layed vs blitz and falls

guess what I saw more of? Falls yes, lots and lots and lots of falls. There were commandos oh yea but at least my commando teammate used his mainline infantry most of the time and used commandos mainly when we needed. There wer always at least 2 falls on the field, there was always storms on the field and oh yea...at the end of the game, there was a tiger (reinforcements im guesing) and then he brought out a panther (same guy) so...whats the moral of this story? Both sides have their units that they rely most on. Heck, last game i didn't even use my rangers for the 2nd straight game. I rely on my rifles mainly.

Not to flame or anything just to go on what i've seen.

Axis - Gain vet, kill vet, spam p4's, stugs, bring out panther to kill tanks, tigers for everything, mortar spam, hmg's, paks. IhT spam, ac spam, puma spam, falls falls falls, 88's, kch spam, volks now (cuz of fausts), flame pio spam (in ht's mainly) and nebels

Allies - rangers, commando's, rifle spam, arty, button + piat, sherman/cromwell spam, m10's, mortar pits (can't think of anymore)

i can't think of anymore. If anything axis have a lot more options than the allies but their options in a way are limited because they can't field as much as the allies can in one game but htey make up for that with more powerful weapons that hit harder and can take a much harder beating. Thats just the way the game is, so like the old saying goes either assimilate or die. Basically...learn how to play, find ways to beat things that are giving you issues and stop trying to change things cuz you can't figure out how win.
Groundfire Offline
EIRR community manager
EIR Veteran

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2009, 07:17:30 pm »

The balance is in a sad state. (although i appreciate the dev's work immensely!)

With the faust, and the inf HT/flame pio combo, and axis elite troops, ive found it too frustrating to play a pick up game as allies.

Ill let you know right now. The main reason why allied elite is spammed is because axis support weapons are so damn good.

Even with their special abilities designed to pick apart a defensive line, they still often lose. Ladies and gents, I only have so many rangers in my inf. co. to begin with.

Rifles are pitiful. In atk/def. there is next to no room to flank effectively with them bar putting grenades on every squad, and a few BARs here and there.

So, to save myself the frustration, i decided to play my blitz co. for the day.

I practically fell asleep! With the majority of the the good people in this mod playing axis, and the superior support weapons, I actually got to watch the battle play out like a movie, while occasionally microing my double shrecked storms to gang bang a sherman or 4....

When elite inf. gave me a problem, id just angle a machine gun that way and bring up an ostwind, which got 20 or so kills before dieing due to the very cost effective repair kits i was able to get. But I digress. I was playing offensively, and it should've gotten much more.

Edit- btw, dont get me started on the fausts. I had one every volks squad, and hamstrung every allied tank that got too close. They are too good! good thing devs are gonna fix em.

Allies most certainly need artillary to win against this. That is certainly the only problem ive had playing today, and is probabily why the dedicated axis players bitch so much about it. Of course you dont have problems with calliopes when you can get to it with cloaked storms.
Although, I didnt get to kill the one i faced, it did limp off the field in a sorry shape.

The root of this problem is the axis support weapons, but availability and pricing are not gonna fix this problem.

If anything, I sudgest dropping the price of american nades to 25, increasing the in supply PP per elite squad, increasing the cost of repair kits, taking inf. HT outta the luft. reinforcement package and sticking it in a neglected package that doesnt give you access to fallschirmjagers, and increasing the pop of nebels.

Imo, brit inf. dont need help, but 25 muni nades will help rifles immensely, and mitigate the damage done to HMGs that now function in buildings. High PP in supply elite squads will make you actually pay for going over your 4 squad limit. 3 PPs in supply is nothing with the amount you get every game and for how much they survive.

This imo, would be a step in the right direction.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 07:33:57 pm by Groundfire » Logged

Latest Shoutcast:
EIRR Groundcast 11 "The Super Dev Showdown!!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOGm79rXWhU (full version)

Rayze Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2009, 07:44:04 pm »

This imo, would be a step in the right direction.

Here Here.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc