Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 23, 2024, 12:31:23 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Casual Players and Noobs  (Read 8712 times)
scrapking Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2009, 09:46:46 pm »

Man I don't know what to say about this, it certainly happens, for various reasons to various degrees.  Part of it is going to depend on who is on the other team.  Any given player is much more likely to more desperately cling to holding out for the best possible teammate when the opposition is seen as tough.

Sometimes its just personalities.  People like to play with people they get along with and can communicate effectively with.  Or for that matter simply prefer spending their time with.  OR "not" with.

I'm sure there are (and always will be) people who are constantly trying to get the best of things by only pairing with the best available teammates, or the worst available opposition.  What can be said about this though?  Identify them and avoid them.

The flipside is that there are very talented players who will play with anyone, against anyone, and be very helpful and quite patient.  Identify those players and support them.  Salan is King here.  Even when you retreat a fresh call in of Rangers by accident at the beginning of a game.

Bottom line, make friends, learn who is who, grind on through the early going - everyone else here did at some point, try not to take it all too seriously, enjoy yourself and find the people with whom you'd prefer hang out with.
salan Offline
Synergies TL2 mod!

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2009, 11:21:30 pm »

Identify those players and support them.  Salan is King here.  Even when you retreat a fresh call in of Rangers by accident at the beginning of a game.

LOL you got me soooo owned by doing that, I laughed about it off and on throughout the night. 

I sometimes get crappy win loss records because I play with anyone.  It is good to see others doing it as well.

Akranadas Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2009, 11:36:55 pm »

You don't play with me  Cry
Warlight Offline
Donator

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2009, 11:41:52 pm »

Well you do have that wierd Drop habbit of yours.
Glaze Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2009, 12:14:06 am »

i like the idea of playing against high lvl ppl even if you're going to lose...BUT i find this makes it also much more likely to lose vetted units. Personally i don't care about stats, but i'm attached to my men. If the high lvl ppl didn't murder my shit then i would play them  Tongue

I'm like that too, if a unit survives on the field for more than a few minutes I tend to get sentimental about the lil' guys!

Glaze (US)!
I am also...
Glazerman (PE)
Glaza (CW)
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2009, 10:36:43 am »

I don't either, it's just hopeless Smiley.
Jazlizard Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2009, 11:17:02 am »

I think the more information the better, folks should know who they play with and against. If people want to 'stack' they will find a way regardless of what system you put in. If people want to avoid playing high rank or high skilled players, they will eventually learn who those people are and avoid them.

For new players I think it's good that they know if the guys they are going against have amazing records, it sets their expectations from the beginning. Maybe they know they'll lose or at least expect so, but play because they enjoy the challenge or the PPs/XPs. It doesn't matter why as long as they are making an informed decision.

All other systems just created more frustration within the player base and an increased amount of smurfing. I wish that accounts could have 1 of each faction and the overall record of that account could be displayed, ideally that is how I would do it.

Quote from: Phil
The MOD is over. The war is over. We're too lazy to restart it. You can all go fuck pickles mom, I hear she's easy.
Guderian Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2009, 11:24:29 am »

We had this problem from the start......and what have come to  every time (i actually don't remember)?

Eir customer support staff.
DerangedGerman Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2009, 11:25:58 am »

This has been a problem since the EIR days. There really is no way to solve this satisfactoraly for all parties involved. I suggest you leave it be.

Proud mapper for both OMG and EIR.
Guderian Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2009, 11:27:03 am »

Doubled opinionised take that penut cake!
dravidian Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2009, 12:12:20 pm »

maybe the xp shouldn't be halved for a loss, because im sure that helps somewhat with stacking

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dravidian_people
"I pimped slapped him man!" - Coh Commando
"Ah this is not the end, it is not even the beginning of the end, but, perhaps it is the end of the beginning!"
"Everyone loves Abbeville"-Cobol
Kangaroo- the very concept that you can put a blob in a can
Dragon2008 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2009, 12:26:48 pm »

I love to play high ranked players more PP and XP for me. The only problem I face is that if I verse high ranked players I don't play to win. I play to get XP/PP or kill their vet. I was in a 3v3 game last night where my team was ranked 3/5/6 v 8/8/8 and it was a joke. 50 vet 3 units plus atleast 8 offmaps and the endless spam of units jus made me think im not playing to win but to survive. Cry

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1100T @ 3.3ghz
RAM: 4GB
Motherboard: ASUS M5A99X (EVO)
Graphics Card: ATI HD 6970 2GB
Hard Drive: 1TB
Jazzhead Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2009, 12:32:04 pm »

maybe the xp shouldn't be halved for a loss
I like that idea a lot. Right now the amount of XP you get when you beat noobs is close to the amount you receive when you lose to pros. I would love to see losses to higher lvl people give you more XP than currently

Mysthalin Offline
Tired King of Stats

« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2009, 12:35:27 pm »

You should gain 75 percent of the EXP if you lose, 50 percent if it's a draw. Would discourage drophacking just a bit more, give more chances to nabs.

Guderian Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2009, 12:42:40 pm »

I sort of like this idea.

But in retrospect: Don't show the wins/losses yust show rank.
Scotzmen Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2009, 02:13:18 pm »

But in retrospect: Don't show the wins/losses yust show rank.

It dosnt matter about rank, its the win/loss ratio. Obviously if its high then the player is pro, if its low then the player is a noob. But then again people might want to show there win/loss ratio as it might be embarssing to them or they keep getting asked to leave from a game becuase they are that good.

Whatever the way theres going to be disadvatages
Guderian Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2009, 02:17:42 pm »

Yes and i think that its the best way to go
Jazlizard Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2009, 02:30:55 pm »

Most folks will know if you are good or bad after about a week or so. Unless you are constantly switching accounts or play so infrequently that folks don't even remember you, folks tend to remember who was good and bad on their team, or who kicked their ass or got their ass handed to them.

I really think you shouldn't hide anything from the players, if the community wants to shun lower skilled players, then that's to the communities detriment. It will happen regardless of what 'system' is implemented.

I do think that the system should help encourage new players/lower skilled players to play via incentives in the system, and to be frank we've come a long way I think in that regard.

The bottom line I fear is that many folks, understandably, don't like to lose, and when you lose over and over, not only is the experience generally not a good one, but eventually it will be hard to find games as your reputation/record gets around the community. Part of it will just come down to the community policing itself and new people or lower skilled people creating pre-setup games that are more balanced.

What if instead of rank, there was a score based on your W/L ratio (after a certain amount of games). This would help balance incentives based on actual skill then just rank which can sometimes be due to number of games played instead of skill.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 02:35:00 pm by Jazlizard » Logged
Guderian Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2009, 04:41:59 pm »

And some people don't remember or are new players.

Or new players who make a game.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc