Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 22, 2024, 05:46:56 am

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: M/E and Reinforcement Fix  (Read 3181 times)
Armormaven Offline
EIR Regular

« on: August 09, 2009, 11:55:34 pm »

Can we please fix these in the next update so that Meeting is meeting and reinforcement is reinforcement. 

I think no one other than the Devs likes building a company for a M/E or Reinforcement and then having to attack [or even defend sometimes]. 

While I understand the big picture of the war and the need to have some attacking and defending actions  as the mod currently exists these random attack and defend games are stupid. 

At least in the old EIR the allies or axis KNEW they were attacking or defending during the war so you could build your company appropriately.  Heck in almost any real engagement you will at least know whether you are attacking or defending. 

I just think you can throw out all the results you get from these types of games because not only is the attacker caught totally off guard and doesn't have the proper company built, but even selecting the map is an exercise in futility.  One side is agreeing to a map where they may have no chance at all as attackers because they are not expecting to have to attack. 

I just think these types of games are a sorry way to lose valuable units or take losses and more to the point they more often are Allies attacking than Axis - which I would like to see the Devs release the stats on.  I haven't played a game that was M/E where the allies defended in WEEKS but my last two M/E games have turned into allies attack.
AmPM Offline
Community Mapper

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 12:04:36 am »

Wait for it....

Don't build a company around a game mode. Problem solved.

Tymathee Offline
Donator

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 12:18:07 am »

ahh...the soft rebuke of AmPM, just like a mothers touch.

"I want proof!"
"I have proof!"
"Whatever, I'm still right"

Dafuq man, don't ask for proof if you'll refuse it if it's not in your favor, logic fallacy for the bloody win.
Mukip Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 01:47:43 am »

I think no one other than the Devs likes building a company for a M/E or Reinforcement and then having to attack [or even defend sometimes]. 

I like it.  The uncertainty of what you'll play keeps certain gimmicks like doomfort to a minimum meaning that attack/defend games aren't the horrible matches they are when the defenders know they'll get to defend.  Attackers win often enough in my experience.  The mod shouldn't be dumbed down because of some players fear of attacking.

You don't need a company built specifically for attacking to do well.  Most properly constructed companies contain units for taking as well as holding ground.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 01:53:27 am by Mukip » Logged
EIRRMod Offline
Administrator / Lead Developer

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 02:16:56 am »

Thats kind of the thing we're aiming for.

You dont know what type you will be playing, but you can be *mostly* sure it will be a certain type.

War is hell.
Modding is worse.

Quote from: brn4meplz
Shit I'm pretty sure you could offer the guy a cup of coffee and he'd try to kill you with the mug if you forgot sugar.
Quote from: tank130
That's like offering Beer to fuck the fat chick. It will work for a while, but it's not gonna last. Not only that, but there is zero motivation for the Fat chick to loose weight.
Quote from: tank130
Why don't you collect up your love beads and potpourri and find something constructive to do.
salan Offline
Synergies TL2 mod!

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 03:16:20 am »

ahh...the soft rebuke of AmPM, just like a mothers touch.
i'm stealing this one!

Sach Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 06:09:27 am »

You could add a 5th game mode which was random and 25% chance of all the above for those of us who enjoy random.

Sach Wins! Cheesy

Would people please stop killing my AVREs. Not cool.
scrapking Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 06:15:41 am »

There is the opinion that your company build should be well designed to handle any mission thrown at it, or specialize for 1 and suffer when it faces the rest.

Like ODB says "diversify yo bonds, bitches".
Baine Offline
Steven Spielberg

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 06:21:46 am »

No thanks, leave the random factor.

The thing with the old system(nearly the same OMGmod has) is that people tailor their companies too much to fulfill one task and games become (my pov) boring, with one side building doomfortress and planting mines everywhere with minespam companies etc.

I rather have people build companies that can attack and defend at the same time, that makes (my pov) for better play.

Ununoctium Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 06:26:11 am »

well ME should be ME or Attack/Defend and not include the Reinforcements mode.

If your forces are traveling together i highly doubt that's gonna happen.

As for R mode it's fine.

Quote from: shockcoil
Quote from: CrazyWR
My tigers get penetrated by everything.  Its really really frustrating.
Your tiger is a whore
Nevyen Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 06:44:11 am »

In history, co-ordination of units and formations has always been a challenge.  Even the great offensives of the Germans against the russians there were instances of units not starting at the kick off time, of time when units would suffer un-expected delays.

Even in defensive situations some units would need to hold until support arrived, and in the case of r type think of two columns advancing to contact and as units come of the route of march and enter the line the battle will obviously escalate. 

At army level this might not seem the case but at small unit level this has a higher level chance of happening.

That aside the feedback has been considered and thank-you for it .

CafeMilani Offline
Aloha

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009, 08:29:35 am »

Wait for it....

Don't build a company around a game mode. Problem solved.

thats it

it should stay random.

Piotrskivich Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2009, 10:09:58 am »

I love it the way it is.
Aggamemnon Offline
Donator

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2009, 02:04:14 pm »

Fine the way it is.

"Success on D-Day, depended entirely on these men"
Pages: [1]   Go Up