Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 22, 2024, 10:34:14 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hide The Icon For The Type Of Garissoned Troops  (Read 6745 times)
Armfelt Offline
EIR Veteran

« on: August 18, 2009, 05:48:46 pm »

What if the weapon type of the troops hidden in buildings remained a secret until they fired them?

My suggestion is that the HMG icon, Bazooka icon and LMG icon for example would be temporarily hidden when entering houses until they exit them. People could still see due to the red box around the building that it is enemy troops, but they don´t know what it is until they fire. A function like that could make scouts more important.

Just a thought. Smiley

"Well opinions are like assholes, everybody has one."
Tymathee Offline
Donator

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 08:07:13 pm »

It can be done and has been done, i for one would love to see this but i doubt it ggets done Sad

"I want proof!"
"I have proof!"
"Whatever, I'm still right"

Dafuq man, don't ask for proof if you'll refuse it if it's not in your favor, logic fallacy for the bloody win.
TheWindCriesMary Offline
The Ethics Police
EIR Veteran

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 09:06:33 pm »

Brilliant.

Vermillion Hawk: Do you ever make a post that doesnt make you come across as an extreme douchebag?

Just sayin'
EIRRMod Offline
Administrator / Lead Developer

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 09:13:59 pm »

An interesting concept.

On the plus side, it adds more to the strategic layer of gameplay - rather than KNOWING there is an HMG there, you need to see it.

On the con side, It may prove daunting to new players (as many things are to those poor souls).

I think this could be chalked up into a gameplay extension at a later date, but would need to be explored fully.

Quote from: brn4meplz
Shit I'm pretty sure you could offer the guy a cup of coffee and he'd try to kill you with the mug if you forgot sugar.
Quote from: tank130
That's like offering Beer to fuck the fat chick. It will work for a while, but it's not gonna last. Not only that, but there is zero motivation for the Fat chick to loose weight.
Quote from: tank130
Why don't you collect up your love beads and potpourri and find something constructive to do.
Tymathee Offline
Donator

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 09:55:05 pm »

Basically what you can is the icon only comes up when you get into a certain range of the building.

The thing is, what will happen is you can still see that a unit is in that building but you wont know exactly what until you get close enough, i think like within 20 units of the building or so (or however you set it) but you can still tellt here's a unit in the building. Um...BotB Mod does it. It's pretty cool but not totally game changing.
sgMisten Offline
Donator

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 10:26:12 pm »

Oooo this sounds like a very interesting idea that adds depth! I like it on its own applying to everyone - but yea adds complexity.

Another option, other than making it available to everyone, is to make it a doctrine ability. Maybe scorched earth or defensive for instance, to reflect their more defensive approach to things.
Warlight Offline
Donator

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 11:09:11 pm »

Blitzkrieg mod does it to.

It gives some units an option do do things like, a Panzer Shrek barrage, similer to piat ambush.  And stuff.

It basicaly gives units in buildings hide in cover, without an ambush bonus.  So you know its occupied, just not by what.
Tymathee Offline
Donator

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 11:40:15 pm »

Blitzkrieg mod does it to.

It gives some units an option do do things like, a Panzer Shrek barrage, similer to piat ambush.  And stuff.

It basicaly gives units in buildings hide in cover, without an ambush bonus.  So you know its occupied, just not by what.

right...i kinda said that. :-p but yea...i wonder if you have to have all infantry be able to hide in cover in order to make this work
Warlight Offline
Donator

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 11:50:25 pm »

I thought you said, BoTB mod, I assumed that was like, Battle of the Bulge, of which I've never played.
Tymathee Offline
Donator

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2009, 12:35:39 am »

I thought you said, BoTB mod, I assumed that was like, Battle of the Bulge, of which I've never played.

Yea...i think botb got it from blitzkrieg, uses the same system. BTW, i'd love if eir used the acp or whatever its called system in botb where you can't hold territory with just one man if you move like two squads into the same territory and you also see a percentage of how much you've captured in it and when it gets to 50 it turns.
Baine Offline
Steven Spielberg

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2009, 02:23:40 am »

Why not make it for all the same and Doctrines like Defensive or Scorched Earth would get an ability that would make the house appear empty until they get into shooting range? Tongue

Falcon333 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2009, 05:04:47 am »

Don't MGs stick out of the windows?

"Chance favors the prepared mind"
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2009, 05:12:46 am »

Well that wouldn't be too bad, if you pay attention and notice it good for you Smiley.
But it's still going to be a surprise element most of the time!
NightRain Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2009, 07:28:08 am »

Well that wouldn't be too bad, if you pay attention and notice it good for you Smiley.

Recon units should be able to spot these units in houses. Jeep, Recon Section, Motorcycle

Because a forum post should be like a woman's skirt. Long enough to cover the subject material, but short enough to keep things interesting.
deadbolt Offline
Probably Banned
EIR Veteran

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2009, 08:22:19 am »

Yeh lets slow gameplay down even more by letting opponents not knowing what anything is. Encouraging mortar and arty spam and down right campfests cos people will want avoid the possibilty of and mg cos of it's supression, when it turns out its a couple of mine detector pios.

We want to be looking at speeding gameplay up and making more and more bloodbaths, guaranteed the one thing that depresses players is sitting there not fighting and when they finally do they lose a vet unit and say, FUCK YOU BULLSHIT CAMPER, Player x Dropped from the game.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 08:23:51 am by deadbolt » Logged

DERDBERT
Like Jesus, Keeps died for us

He made a funny thread for bear, and got banned.

Now bear makes his own funny thread. It's unsurprisingly not funny.

Keeps died for our funny threads.
EliteGren Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2009, 08:27:32 am »

The post above me, while maybe not being written with the best grammar or pronunciation, still holds alot of truth in it.

i prefer to no u
Don't knock it til uve tried it bitchface, this isn't anything like salads version. Besides u said a semois conversion would never work, now look that's the most played map, ohgodwhy.jpg r u map lead
Tymathee Offline
Donator

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2009, 10:38:40 am »

Recon units should be able to spot these units in houses. Jeep, Recon Section, Motorcycle

They would be. They'd essentially be cloaked in the house but if you look on the mini map ifi remember you can see there's a unit in there and you can choose to avoid it.

and to deadbolt uh...I dont see your point. There's always mortars and artillery on the field, most games are camp fests and involve a lot of support weapons. What this change would do is change the tactical nature of the game and provide a bit of surprise on both sides of the line. It's kinda BS when a unit can walk into an hmg and then just walk right out of its fire w/o taking damage.
gamesguy2 Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2009, 03:43:21 pm »

I don't like it, it just turns the game into even more of a mortar and artillery fest.
Tymathee Offline
Donator

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2009, 05:00:13 pm »

i just dont see it turning into more of a mortar and artillery fest. It opens up the strategy, most people mortar whats inside of bulidings inway or hit it with artillery, nothing would change. I've had my engineers inside of a bulding hit with artillery before, just a waste lol.

WinIsUP Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2009, 06:38:19 pm »

sounds good, if it turns out not to be appropriate, it can be used as an awesome Doctrine ability.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc