Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 18, 2024, 08:38:49 am

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[October 14, 2024, 02:38:41 pm]

[October 05, 2024, 07:29:20 am]

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]
Poll
Question: Do you think the current drift system has been a positive or negative change with regards to gameplay?
It's been positive - 21 (70%)
It's been negative - 9 (30%)
Total Voters: 30

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Current Drift System for Off-maps  (Read 4244 times)
pqumsieh Offline
EIR Veteran

« on: September 13, 2009, 07:35:46 pm »

The current drift system on off-maps has had some adverse effects. First, it reduces the effectiveness of many abilities like precision strike. In some cases, it makes off-maps too luck dependent and removes the skill/tactical applications they use to require.

Additionally, in some cases well micro'd units are punished because of drift. Moving units out of red smoke sometimes causes more damage then staying where you are. In other words, in some cases better reaction/micro'ing is causing more damage/loss.

On the bright side, we are seeing fewer instances of off-maps being used in the game. That was the intitial push to have such a system intiated; however, did we expect the adverse effects to be what they are now?

Please vote and post only 100-150 word reponses, stay on topic and ensure you have only constructive input. If you can't think of something to say, don't force something just for the hell of it. These are guidelines, try and follow them please.

PQ

Common sense is not so common after all.
Tymathee Offline
Donator

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 07:53:06 pm »

less offmaps being used = intended effect

if you get hit by random,thats just how it goes but now since its hard to hit what you want, you just dont use it now.

"I want proof!"
"I have proof!"
"Whatever, I'm still right"

Dafuq man, don't ask for proof if you'll refuse it if it's not in your favor, logic fallacy for the bloody win.
salan Offline
Synergies TL2 mod!

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 08:02:36 pm »

the fact that people had to build their companies up would literally mean less offmaps being used in and of itself.  The only reason we saw so many offmaps in that one portion of play was because everyone was given everything at end tier without having to get through the building process.

The drift does discourage the few who would simply because of what they found, and the over abundance of offmaps really did need some sort of scale for usefulness.

in some cases I am sure this has helped a lot to its intended design, in others, it can't be helped.

puddin Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 08:28:57 pm »

As i have said i enjoy the current off maps.  Less chances to get Gibbed which is painful. 

Onmap artillery has become MORE useful because it is So accurate in comparison.  Persion strike is spot on.  And i use it often with my 2 uses, i think its the best arty in the game at the moment, if timmed properly, In my lasy 10 games i have yet to not take out the MG or At gun i was aiming for. 

American 105 arty is different tho. 

I thin that it should have a scatter radius, Not All come down in one spot, but the shells spread more over the entire drift area. Right now it drifts to the right or left and only hits that 1 area and you know your safe. 

Its not the I win Button is used to be, but the more arty such are firestorm or earth shaker can still be quite deadly. 

The point of off map is to inflict dmg, Not kill.  It inflicts a lot of dmg nowadays   without normally getting entire squads killed.

Puddin' spamtm
i cant really blame smokaz i mean playing against puddin is like trying to fight off breast cancer. You might win and do it and be a bad ass but you'll feel sick and mutilated forever.

Puddin' spamtm is soulcrushing... what's hard to understand about that?
lionel23 Offline
Donator

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 08:37:05 pm »

I think the results have been positive in that the intended effect of LESS OFF-MAPs was established and we're not seeing an overabundant use of them, and more usage of on-map items that are counterable and can be silenced.

However, I do agree that the changes have made some off-maps unusable, like the 105 howie off-map being subject to drift and then all the shots landing precisely in the drifted spot and not scattered like Earthshaker or Firestorm and that itself needs to be addressed when it can.

Congratulations, dear sir...I must say, never before have I seen such precise gunnery displayed. - CrazyWR (on Leaderboard Howitzers)

EIRRMod Offline
Administrator / Lead Developer

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 09:12:40 pm »

As the person who coded in the change Wink  Heres what fueled the decision, and issues that you will see (due to this being... the first parse on the change)

Randomness - your offmap will not now guarantee an exact landing, which moves the focus of offmap to strategic planning (where it should be) and on-map to tactical (and, used more).

Floating point change - The centre is no longer where you clicked, yet abilities (at this point) have still retained the original radius scatter for the dropped shells.  These could now be expanded, or contracted, and the floating point could also have less violent changes (smaller or larger radius).

So, in short - I believe there are issues with individual abilities rather than the system itself which is working completely as intended (Strategic use, not 'I WIN!' buttons)

Quote from: brn4meplz
Shit I'm pretty sure you could offer the guy a cup of coffee and he'd try to kill you with the mug if you forgot sugar.
Quote from: tank130
That's like offering Beer to fuck the fat chick. It will work for a while, but it's not gonna last. Not only that, but there is zero motivation for the Fat chick to loose weight.
Quote from: tank130
Why don't you collect up your love beads and potpourri and find something constructive to do.
Demon767 Offline
Warmap Betatester
EIR Veteran

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 12:07:48 am »

ill have to disagree with you there puddin.

Precision strike is the most useless offmap available at this point in time, other than that i believe strongly that the change has been greatly positive.

Generalleutnant of The Reichs Wolves

Nevergetsputonlistguy767
Draken Offline
Chess master
EIR Veteran

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 07:36:35 am »

People decide. You, cry first about nerfing offmaps now you cry that they are to weak. It's like going for haircut asking for shorter hair then, ask for longer  Huh.

I like the current system.
Baine Offline
Steven Spielberg

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 07:37:38 am »

I'd like to have a wider spread of the rockets itself for Rocket Artillery. Because as it stands now, more than 60% it will hit nothing but the ground.

Draken Offline
Chess master
EIR Veteran

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2009, 07:42:18 am »

Yeah I also would like that offmaps covered all area instead of just "focus drop" in another area in range of offmap.
EIRRMod Offline
Administrator / Lead Developer

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2009, 08:07:29 am »

Yeah I also would like that offmaps covered all area instead of just "focus drop" in another area in range of offmap.
Yep, that seems to be the problem with them atm.

Most of the abilities were tight radius to start with so that you had a change to escape the majority of the shells, now, with a tight radius, its completely hit or miss rather than partially effective (with some abilities)
sgMisten Offline
Donator

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2009, 08:31:20 am »

Bad - Very weak unlock, limited uses, even can cost SP (tier 2/3 ability)
Bad - Punishes players who try to evade off-map; now have chance to run into it

In its current state off-maps shouldn't be on limited uses but on a timer.
I do like the idea of having a less concentrated barrage for an off-map.

But right now with off-maps being mostly T2 and T3, and even some T4 ones like artillery fortification, the RCA one and Falling Fear, this change totally wipes out the viability of those unlocks.
EscforrealityTLS Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2009, 11:19:31 am »

It's a fantastic change, the less off maps the better. Grin

Pwanawan baby!
Mgallun74 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2009, 12:25:33 pm »

meh, get rid of offmaps altogether.. just give each faction sometype of art piece.

acker Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2009, 05:50:08 pm »

A dedicated Field Observer (70 HP, infantry armor, 70 "range") would have been a better idea than arty drift, methinks. So arty wouldn't just miss/hit places that it shouldn't, yet was still counterable by one good sniper shot.
VERTIGGO Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2009, 10:18:02 pm »

less offmaps being used = intended effect

if you get hit by random,thats just how it goes but now since its hard to hit what you want, you just dont use it now.

LOL I voted no because all I have is imprecision strike, but you're totally right.

TOV units = intentionally OP marketing gimmicks
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc