Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 09:23:52 am

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 26, 2024, 09:37:35 am]

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Map with no name (WIP & First proper try)  (Read 4432 times)
LCII^Bun-Bun Offline
Donator

« on: December 01, 2009, 10:36:02 am »

Well,

Some of you might know I have been experimenting with making maps, usually I have either made edited maps or made some way to big and gimmicky maps which I would play with a bunch of friends of mine.

Now however, I have been working on a more serious map.
As I started with it, I was thinking that it would probably be better if more people than just me and my friends would judge it, specially since I have been thinking about maybe making an EIRR version of it too.

I'll post some SS's first:

Global overview of the map, the village in the woods is only accessable by infantry or heavy crush vehicles (it has 2 normal entrances with tank traps and 2 crushable hedges)

The other part (with the barbed wire, sand bags and tank traps) will be an "open" area, with little to no shot blocking, the tank traps will be far enough appart to make it easy to drive through with tanks, though I will add wrecks, craters and some other objects to make it look like a war zone.

Here is a closer shot of the "open" side (just started with it, has been 5 min of work so far :p )
You might notice one side has sand bags, the other one doesn't... see the WIP part. :p

the village (will upload better SS probably) The Church will get a wall around it, and some more sandbags, barrels and other stuff will be placed to make the church look like a german HQ and the whole village german occupied.

Please give constructive critism (non constructive critists can suck my dick (then again, so can constructive critists if they feel like it, but that's besides the point, also not saying if I want it to happen, but everything is possible))

Might not be MY Doctirine, but it's so damn close I'll TAKE IT!
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 10:37:50 am »

Please give constructive critism (non constructive critists can suck my dick (then again, so can constructive critists if they feel like it, but that's besides the point, also not saying if I want it to happen, but everything is possible))
Lol

Looks like a great start!
Mysthalin Offline
Tired King of Stats

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 10:45:47 am »

First impression - clip the top right forest to provide room for flanking while giving a bit more shotblock at the bottom - or the map will be quite easily won by an 88 being set up at the bottom, with an MG and mortar locking down the town.

Not allowing vehicles inside the town isn't a particularly great idea either, in my opinion, and I would suggest reconsidering it, or MGs and mortars will begin playing much too large a role in this map - quite expressively excluding PE and non-RCA brit players from properly having a proper chance. Not to mention that WM will be largely benefited by the fact they have access to panthers when needing heavy crush. Only RSE players have churchills, and Pershings are pretty rare.

If you decide to still stick to the idea - remove the hedges on the left side, and replace them with TTs as well, or the side on the left will be able to bring in light/medium tanks by simply shooting down the hedges, what the right side will not be capable of.

What scale are you on? The map seems a bit small, but that may just be me.

LCII^Bun-Bun Offline
Donator

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 12:28:14 pm »

I think I managed to clip the top right forest a tad, which means you have more space there.

The fact that I used hedges was for the reason it is killed easier, but you are right: on one side there are is only 1 hedge that you can destroy (which is hard to see, and can't guarentee you can get through it) So I added some more hedges (and removed some of the forest).

I was thinking about flak 88's, however, I don't know what I can properly place there, I am considering making farms (with hedges and maybe small forest stuff and some houses) behind both sides at the "front" so the buildings (and hedges, unless they destroy them) will act as shot block for flak 88's...

The village will be takable by vehicles, however, you would have to destroy the tank traps (or now the hedges) so it will cost time unless you take infantry, which I thought might add some spice. So I do want to keep that feeling in it, I might consider making it a bit more open of course (I will probably damage some of the buildings) and I might add some more shotblock which makes MG's less usefull.

I will think about what to do with it, I will keep flak 88's in mind, so I will think of some shot block.

The only thing which is a pain to me is panthers, I honestly don't know what's the best sollution, I suppose that's just the disadvantage of this mod which makes Croc's very underused...
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 12:32:30 pm by LCII^Bun-Bun » Logged
LCII^Bun-Bun Offline
Donator

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 05:56:54 pm »

First of all, sorry for double post, but don't like giving an update in an edit.

Some new SS's:
First, a look at the side, where the battlefield is, it's still far from done, but it has some stuff in it to give you an idea:

Here are the hedges on one side, to make it a bit more confined:

Other side:

Now for the village I edited the "entrance" so it has more hedges, both sides:

And last: an overview of the battlefield side:

PErsonally I have no idea if the hedges will work (good enough) or even be benefitial, so I will have to test that tomorrow (can't do it properly, but I can still try). I tried to make it still walkable with infantry (be it not always straight) and have some shot blocking capabilities, of course, I might just add some extra trees.

Oh right, the building you might see: that was a test to see how buildings look. I might switch over to buildings (even though I personally like it less) if hedges don't work properly.)
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 07:58:55 pm »

Use opacity on splats and transparancy on splines, makes your map look a lot more natural.
brn4meplz Offline
Misinformation Officer

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 03:13:11 am »

What makes maps playable initially is a realistic environment. If it feels like a idylic country town on the cusp of war then you've probably done it right. Starting with a rough outline of important areas and then worrying about the details later is the best start. Those defensive lines you have in the screens could just as easily be constructed of a few buildings and some Green cover walls. it would look alot better and suit the setting.

Before i lost my hard drives I had a few maps almost finished. I start them all on paper first. I sketch out a rough outline and focus points based on real world military concerns. I find time on lunch breaks or taking public transit. Jumping into the editor and trying to start it right from there is pretty daunting, so I advocate the paper sketch

He thinks Tactics is a breath mint

Wow I think that was the nicest thing brn ever posted!  Tongue

the pussy of a prostitute is not tight enough for destroy a condom Wink
Tymathee Offline
Donator

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 03:58:52 am »

Another thing for the town just an idea, maybe use messed up tank traps, maybe a bit un finished or destroyed a little so you can shoot at them and destroy them but you can't destroy them with only one shot if thats possible. Or maybe add walls i dunno kinda like a check point so that tanks can go straight through but vehicles can't? I think having a whole side stationed off like that will make it really difficult.

"I want proof!"
"I have proof!"
"Whatever, I'm still right"

Dafuq man, don't ask for proof if you'll refuse it if it's not in your favor, logic fallacy for the bloody win.
shockcoil Offline
griefer & spammer
EIR Veteran

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2009, 04:03:43 am »

I'm really liking the look of this map but I would suggest removing the tank traps altogether because the pathing might get a bit frustrating on that battlefield. I would also suggest either making the town more central or just removing it because as it stands it just looks like 2 separate maps.

LCII^Bun-Bun Offline
Donator

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2009, 03:32:59 pm »

Well, after Sinterklaas again hampers me from working on it, I was busy with adding farms and stuff and also editing the "front" to be part of an old farm, but, as lucky as I ever am, I always forget to save it in time before it crashes because of something stupid, luckely, I thought of it this time in time, so when I was done I pressed safe...

Which managed to crash my worldbuilder, leaving me with about 2,5 hours of work lost, lovely.

However, to give you an idea: the battlefront will be par of a big farm, with some farm buildings and a road to the village which will NOT be blocked off, leaving an entrance for vehicles without the need of being crushed or shot. The village itself got some more details (If I can't find a right thing to do with the whole of the map I usually stress relieve with those small things) And I just started working on it again to get those farms back on the map! I'll hopefully post some screen shots tonight, but if not, tomorrow for sure!
LeoPhone Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2009, 04:47:58 pm »

bun-bun,

go in worldbuilder to edit->options->save reminder interval->and set it so something like 30 mins.

you can only change it while a map is loaded.

and btw, your map is too small.
LCII^Bun-Bun Offline
Donator

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2009, 05:51:06 pm »

LeoPhone, that is actually set to 15 min, I usually keep me to it and save it every time, but especially if I'm busy with splines or detailed work I usually click it away.

Also, yes, it is quite a small map, maybe even to small for a 2 v 2, might make it a 1 v 1, even though those aren't played much...

The point is that a nebel's range (together with a flak 88) would be pretty damn long, I'll take a SS to show you guys what I mean. The only problem is I started to get to attached to the map and I want to play it in EIRR at least once, even if I just trow it away afterwards.

Also, it will be some nice practice for future maps Wink

Some new SS's:
The village as it looks right now:

Close up of the church:

Close up of the "market" (probly gonna edit that some more) and some practice targets.

The Cafe (unrealistic? Yes, probly not gonna do much for the map? Yes, fun to make? Heck yes)

Here you see the road to the farm, with a broken Panther...

Better look at the farm, still no farmland or proper barriers next to the sandbags and stuff, it might shift around a bit, but you will get the idea.

Same farm, other angle.

Tymathee Offline
Donator

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2009, 08:25:33 pm »

broken panther is a nice touch heavy tank husks can't be crushed by normal tanks works kinda like a road block.
Mysthalin Offline
Tired King of Stats

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2009, 11:53:32 pm »

Try and spread all that stuff apart a bit, or pathing will suffer greatly..

The walls around the church are quite unnecessary.
Malevolence Offline
Donator

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2009, 12:15:38 am »

One key to a map is to make it LOOK like it's embattled enough (roadblocks, sandbags, tanktraps, strategically fortified positions) but not to the point that it ACTUALLY impedes the progress of people physically.

Like make it look like it's supposed to, but try to make it so it doesn't really.

Akranadas' Greatest Hits, Volume 1:

Quote from: Akranadas
Vet has nothing to do with unit preformance.

Quote from: Akranadas
We are serious about enforcing this, and I am sure you all want to be able to have your balance thought considered by the development team with some biased, sensationalist coming into your thread and ruining it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc