Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 22, 2024, 11:28:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: game = dead?  (Read 14454 times)
AmPM Offline
Community Mapper

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2009, 03:09:27 pm »

Go play in a non-stacked game Fallen, winning when the other team has Stephen95 on it does not count.

Aggamemnon Offline
Donator

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2009, 09:28:26 am »

Stopped playing when my faction/doctrine was broken, back in business now it's patched.

I'm sure a lot of people will be waiting for the resets, but personally I enjoy the game in the start and end meta game.

"Success on D-Day, depended entirely on these men"
Ambramelin Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2009, 09:46:03 am »

If eir was truly balanced then the battle field should always be level with rank only increasing the number of tactical options and Varity of units, not affecting unit performance or numbers.

then it wouldn't be war now would it. Who ever said war was fair. I think we would all be better served by the notion that it is just a game...and we should have fun playing it...Being a noob such as I am it is frustrating to come into the game at this point and sit there while people quietly debate whether or not they will play based on ur vet level. If you ever want EiR to grow beyond its numbers then people should play and not only when playing is advantageous to them. I do understand the time commitment and subsequent frustration over building a fully vetted company and then seeing that unit wiped out. But I agree that skill wins out 99% of the time.

my 2 cents
Leafedge Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2009, 05:28:57 pm »

The real problem is that it takes too many fucking games to get a good company. Before you had to play 1-3 games to get 90% of the T4s and after that you were at least fighting a semi-fair game. You could get any T3 you wanted from the get-go. Nowadays you start with nothing, so its that much harder. It wasn't bad to get stomped for 1 game, but needing to get stomped 50 times just to start playing is beyond stupid.

Just take away the rank system altogether. It serves literally no purpose other than forcing people to game-spam. Do that and give people enough starting PP to grab a few doctrine abilities. Maybe not quite a T4, but enough to get started. Then I'd actually bother to start a company Undecided
Groundfire Offline
EIRR community manager
EIR Veteran

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2009, 06:21:48 pm »

So, you want to take basically like half the persistance out of the game. You have no goal other than to vet your troops, then we all become vet whores because we lose the objectives of gaining doctrines though hard work.

Here's an idea.

If we want a fair game, either...

A.)start from the beginning with everyone else
B.)Get better so the stupid rank doesnt mean as much
C.)Stop deleting your account every time you lose a few games, or dont like your current build.

It takes at least 20 games to get to lvl8, and that's if you fought lvl8s or equivilants from game one. I got it in 25. EIR does not need to be dumbed back down to getting everything in the first 3 games.

Latest Shoutcast:
EIRR Groundcast 11 "The Super Dev Showdown!!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOGm79rXWhU (full version)

pqumsieh Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2009, 06:31:25 pm »

agree with Groundfire...you do not want to remove the persistence from the game. In fact, thats one of the key factors to its success.

We might need to consider more meaningful means of achieving persistence without some of the drawbacks currently harming EIR.

I had an interesting dream the other night. I'm sure many of you have played World in Conflict, I thought it might be interesting to make off-maps a separate system within EIR. But make some interesting tactical off maps, like being able to lay down mass tank traps in a straight line or drop some mines Tongue I won't get into details, but make them different from direct damage dealing off maps. Each player might get 3 points per game, if you use an off map that game as a higher rank you would lose a lot of points. Essentially, make it a system where those with lower ranks get some sort of decent advantage over higher ranks. Can it be abused? Yes, of course! Bottom line, its only there to reduce the advantage of a lvl 8 vs lvl 1. Maybe I'm just rambling...oh well

PQ

Common sense is not so common after all.
EIRRMod Offline
Administrator / Lead Developer

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2009, 06:40:57 pm »

I believe the method to remove the 'grind' at end game might go something like this:

Beginning of war
Base costs 2x

Middle war (maybe, 2-3 weeks in)
Base costs 1x

End war (4 weeks +)
Base costs 0.5x

Or it can be reward based (So, 0.5 to start, 2x near end)
This would allow people coming in late game to catch up faster, or people to 'grind' up an account faster.

I wont be implementing any 'freebies' to starting accounts - in any form however.

Quote from: brn4meplz
Shit I'm pretty sure you could offer the guy a cup of coffee and he'd try to kill you with the mug if you forgot sugar.
Quote from: tank130
That's like offering Beer to fuck the fat chick. It will work for a while, but it's not gonna last. Not only that, but there is zero motivation for the Fat chick to loose weight.
Quote from: tank130
Why don't you collect up your love beads and potpourri and find something constructive to do.
WriterX Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2009, 07:49:11 am »

I can't wait for the reset. I find it terribly annoying at times that new players get stomped with ease, when one of those Level 8 Axis or Allies roll out their Vet 3 stuff against which a Level 1 can only hope for miracles to counter at times.

I found a huge disparity between Beginner and "Veteran" accounts. I rarely saw "Mid Levels". Now, when the majority of players will start of from the start we can hope, that at least for a time, everyone will have an equal chance to win, and it will be personal skills not bonuses or abilities that mean something.
tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2009, 09:23:09 am »

The whole reset thing doesn't make sense to me. Sure, for a week or two everybody will be back at level one. Then the players who play a lot will level up faster than the rest; the rest will eventually catch up. Finally after a few weeks or month, everybody is right back to where we are now. So unless you plan on resetting every month or 6 weeks, whats the point to reset at all?

If you want to close the gap between new players and veteran players, stop making the doctrine choices so strong. Stop making vet so strong. Do we really need such powerful abilities anyway? Why not take this game back to it's roots where skill at battle meant a win.

I personally have been loosing interest in this game because it has become a little to fantasy like. Before doctrines came along, your skill at battle tactics was the most important thing. Now it's all about getting PP to get doctrines........ then complain about it being boring and asking for a reset.

I think it is part of a persistence mod to gain abilities as you go, but stop making it so extreme.

Geez, while Wind was banned I forgot that he is, in fact, totally insufferable
I'm not going to lie Tig, 9/10 times you open your mouth, I'm overwhelmed with the urge to put my foot in it.
WriterX Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2009, 11:21:59 am »

Actualy, what Tank just said makes a lot of sense. Though I personaly like the "Vet" system, I do wonder how much harder would gameplay be without all these additional doctrine choices?

On the other hand, Doctrines is what makes each "faction" unique. We would have to introduce either more unit types (somehow) to compensate for the lack of buyable abilities and such, OR introduce a system where Doctrine abilities could be bough via SPs and only for specific battles, as is in the case of battlefield advantages.
Groundfire Offline
EIRR community manager
EIR Veteran

« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2009, 12:39:59 pm »

If you want to close the gap between new players and veteran players, stop making the doctrine choices so strong. Stop making vet so strong. Do we really need such powerful abilities anyway? Why not take this game back to it's roots where skill at battle meant a win.

I personally have been loosing interest in this game because it has become a little to fantasy like. Before doctrines came along, your skill at battle tactics was the most important thing. Now it's all about getting PP to get doctrines........ then complain about it being boring and asking for a reset.

I think it is part of a persistence mod to gain abilities as you go, but stop making it so extreme.

How are the doctrines so extreme? explain please?
Cause they are no where near as bad as they were in vEIR.
Example: Tankreapers used to be 70% extra penetration/damage/health to ATGs and zooks.

That's an overpowered doctrine choice. EIRR doctrine abilities are a fraction as good as they were. Same with vet. Go look at retail vet and compare it to EIR vet. retail vet gives like +35% extra accuracy and +50% damage at vet3. EIR vet is half of that, if not lower, and dispersed through out all vet levels.

Yes, ill admit sometimes things stack and get out of hand. I will run away screaming like a little girl from a single vet3 zeal grenedier, but that's because i dont have a sniper for backup. Things like this are getting changed. I wouldnt worry about it.

Aside from doctrine abilities that confer "Slow" or a debuff to enemy units, there are no "fantasy" doctrine abilities, and those are getting wiped with the reset.

I am speaking very generally now. No doctrine reset or company reset will make a newbie equivilant in skill to IplayForKeeps, or Cannonball & company.
Most of the time, and im saying maybe 75%-85% of the time someone loses and blames the system for their loss, it's because their was a skill disparity instead of a rank disparity. Maybe they get pissed off because more experienced players know how to skillfully wield powerful unit combinations and such, but i guarentee you, your not going to magically win or not get stomped because of a reset. I mean, you can choose who you play. Make some friends on vent and play with them.

Despite what most people think, experienced players just want an even game more than anyone else.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 02:35:21 pm by Groundfire » Logged
EliteGren Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2009, 12:52:52 pm »

Example: Tankreapers used to be 70% extra penetration/damage/accuracy to ATGs and zooks.

That's an overpowered doctrine choice.
Fuck yes that would be, 70% more accuracy at guns and zooks sniping inf galore. Good thing it "only" was damage penetration and health for 57mms.

i prefer to no u
Don't knock it til uve tried it bitchface, this isn't anything like salads version. Besides u said a semois conversion would never work, now look that's the most played map, ohgodwhy.jpg r u map lead
Groundfire Offline
EIRR community manager
EIR Veteran

« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2009, 01:07:01 pm »

meh, that's not the point.  Roll Eyes
my bad, health, not acc.
Demon767 Offline
Warmap Betatester
EIR Veteran

« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2009, 01:54:23 pm »

Tank and groundfire are absolutely correct.

Generalleutnant of The Reichs Wolves

Nevergetsputonlistguy767
Mysthalin Offline
Tired King of Stats

« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2009, 02:10:53 pm »

Mm... equal games... best thing ever to really get your heart pumping with that constant "will we win?".

Wolster Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2009, 03:38:39 pm »

Personally i stopped playing awhile back due to stacking & team players (ie... sos Wolster thats spots taken, i no you have wasted the last 15min queueing for this game but will you please leave to let my mate in, kind of action (nothing worse than asking a Brit to leave a queue)) imo try a 1st come 1st served basis for awhile & see if that gets some decent games flowing.

At least the games will fill quicker & launch quicker re less hanging around for the mythical mate (or in reality the player with better stats to join your team).

Less team stacking  - no one wants an ass raping by elite players (only the elite players want to ass rape as they get to frustrated playing with normo's, tho sadly this means ultimately they will be alone eventually with no new blood)

Finally i miss the excitement of not Knowing the outcome of the engagement at the outset, picture this if you will:-

Me (medium skill player- but expert enough to recognise elite EiR opposition) + 2 random & propably new players join together for a 3v3, chances are one wont have vent, one has vent & no mic, & me.

Our stats look abit naff but we think what the hell its just a game to pass the next hour, opposition arrives (after the abilgitory 30minute wait) 3 elite players top scores, all rank 8, all on Vent, & fresh from there last noob stomp game.

Seriously need i say more. However the next 10minutes of the game flows i predict no lasting new players will be joining EiR from that match, & the Elite will simply move on to the next batch ready for the slaughterfest.

The only thing i wonder is what is the record for the most new players put off a mod in one evening.

AmPM Offline
Community Mapper

« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2009, 03:46:27 pm »

So true. You can even ask LeFort, I stopped playing against people with worse stats if I can avoid it (aka, not 2am and looking for last game of the night), I've probably passed up 15 games or so in the last week because I don't want to play against noobs.

Its an issue, but its not one of levels or doctrines. A player that is good at EIR will be good no matter what level they are, and they will still beat up those that have no idea what is going on (no matter how long they may have been playing).

Its just the way things go.
CrazyWR Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2009, 04:47:08 pm »

despite what people may think, I think most players would prefer an even game.  The problem is that there isn't always equal competition online all the time, so what are the better players to do?  Ignore the game for an hour to wait for an even game, or just play the first available opponent?  Is that noobstomping?  What about when 3 good players host up a game, and then 3 not so good or not so high levels join their game?  Is that a stomp?  They weren't looking for the discrepancy in skill...it found them...I think there is plenty of intentional stomping, but some of it is unavoidable to be honest...

1. New tactics? it's like JAWS, first one in the water dies

RCA-land where shells fall like raindrops and the Captain is an invincible god
tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2010, 09:39:53 pm »

Bump...

This is one of many threads in which a number of players said the game was dead because we need a reset. So there has been a reset and it is the deadest it has ever been. Of course all the posters who don't actually play the game will say they are waiting for the doctrines.......

I have come on 3 nights in a row to see the same 5 or 7 players in the launcher.
I think doctrines or not, it's time to start some major promotion of the mod. If you wait for doctrines to come in, all the hard core players will get those advantages and still leave newbies out in the cold. I say bring the newbies then the docs. At least they will feel like they have a chance.
Pak88mm Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2010, 11:34:16 pm »

i havent played in a good while either. just not interested lol im sure when they get next version out everyone will come back to power level and get in quick. but for now most will stay out including myself.

Exactly.

There is only so many times you can slaughter Lt Apollo, Rocksitter, and Alwaysloseguy24 before you get bored and fall asleep.

-GamesGuy-

Most Hated player in EiR....Pak88Mm
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc