Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 11:41:54 am

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 26, 2024, 09:37:35 am]

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EIR Map Feedback  (Read 5084 times)
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« on: March 03, 2010, 06:56:09 pm »

Hey all

I would love for the community to provide me with some feedback on the general direction our mod has taken in regard to the use of custom maps. In particular I'd like ya'll to answer one or multiple of these questions

1. Are there any maps you feel should be removed from the download list, if so which maps?
2. What is your biggest concern in regards to 'custom maps' in EIR (Quality? Quantity? etc)
3. How do you feel should we encourage/attract mapping talent as developers?
4. Other map related features you'd like to see (Map played list on the website, map choice in launcher, etc etc)

Any other feedback is more than welcome

thanks
Two Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 07:12:40 pm »

1. None
2. Too many maps are rectangles, square maps are better, and a few more maps wouldnt hurt.
3. Tell them their maps will be getting regular usage in a large community and constant feedback. (Id offer a pp/xp bonus for playing maps that are new to the mod so more people will play them to get the feedback needed to make them better to become regulars anyway.)
4. The warmap choosing maps scrapped and random maps of the day for pp, so every 24 hour 3 new maps are chosen for bonuses

IplayForKeeps: if we were an equation
IplayForKeeps: it would be
IplayForKeeps: two = keeps
IplayForKeeps: i only have 1 friend
davidf78 Offline
Community Mapper

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 07:40:56 pm »

3. Tell them their maps will be getting regular usage in a large community and constant feedback. (Id offer a pp/xp bonus for playing maps that are new to the mod so more people will play them to get the feedback needed to make them better to become regulars anyway.)

that great you can tell them that but the reality is no, you dont get any feedbac from the community.
Armfelt Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 07:45:07 pm »

Remove the Pak88 in Arnhem.

Otherwise I think the maps are quite good. Smiley

"Well opinions are like assholes, everybody has one."
gamesguy2 Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 07:54:08 pm »

4v4 linden!
spinn72 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 08:04:54 pm »

I don't know if Lanteville is still in the beta stage but maybe that should be removed from its name....

that new warmap you've been talking about for 6 months should probably be implemented too.

More 4v4 maps could help too, right now the only ones really played are abberville winter and schindel with a bit of action on Arnhem too.  linden could be made to be 4v4 although it could be a little congested, but in general 1 or 2 good 4v4 maps would make a world of difference.
Two Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 08:51:20 pm »

that great you can tell them that but the reality is no, you dont get any feedbac from the community.

Im sure there would be if more players played it, maps that dont get feedback are good maps, with only minor problems most people wont post, but if more people play you'll get the guys that will post the problems Smiley
Akranadas Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 09:41:10 pm »

I wouldn't mind seeing some maps that break the RTC mold; being that they are long and rectangular, have a couple of buildings/hedges
Groundfire Offline
EIRR community manager
EIR Veteran

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 10:22:06 pm »

What I would like to see are maps built in such a way that can be shaped by the players to open up new avenues of attack and flanking options.

Think of it like the destructable blockades in Starcraft II. If you blow up the rocks, you can get to a new area, or get around a defense to open up new flanking opportunities as the game progresses.

We can do this with Heavy crush and ATGs blowing apart hedges to get to the new areas, or to open up a bottle neck. Stuff like that. It rewards the player that can utilize the whole map

Latest Shoutcast:
EIRR Groundcast 11 "The Super Dev Showdown!!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOGm79rXWhU (full version)

Akranadas Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 10:40:20 pm »

What I would like to see are maps built in such a way that can be shaped by the players to open up new avenues of attack and flanking options.

Think of it like the destructable blockades in Starcraft II. If you blow up the rocks, you can get to a new area, or get around a defense to open up new flanking opportunities as the game progresses.

We can do this with Heavy crush and ATGs blowing apart hedges to get to the new areas, or to open up a bottle neck. Stuff like that. It rewards the player that can utilize the whole map

Totally Agree, less maps defined by the shape.
jackmccrack Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 10:51:28 pm »

Le Paradis is one of those maps. The center is a sphere of hedges.

Let's talk about PIATs in a car.
Skaevola Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 11:02:40 pm »

Bocage had that and was generally viewed unfavorably.

Its difficult to balance the width of the map - as Bocage tried to (slightly less wide than normal so that when that flank was opened up it would be near regular size, but was viewed as a "clusterfuck") with the ability to open up even more flanks. Also, especially using hedges to do that, seems to favor the allies because they (in general) have less heavy crush units than the axis.

Square maps suck for (persistency) gameplay - I think that's pretty much been conclusively proven. It leads to fighting to close to the spawns, which is fun for neither team, and disproportionately rewards pop to the winning team (because of the lack of a buffer zone of "free territories") I personally love maps with a lot of area to just sort of fuck around behind enemy lines - Ardennes Valley is an example, but not really a great one, where a front line is impossible to set up, and players have a lot of room to set up intricate flanks. Argentan and Shijndel also have that characteristic to varying degrees. At the same time maps that are too wide like that do tend to encourage backcapping. OCP ftw?

People need to play better maps more often. Gold Beach is the shit, but never gets any play Sad
Nevyen Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 11:19:25 pm »

Maybe a simpler way of gaining feedback would be better, such as voting etc. 

as far as detailed feedback the map team should be supporting each other on that, which really means the map lead needs to get his butt into gear and organise the mapping teams.....

Groundfire Offline
EIRR community manager
EIR Veteran

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 11:19:33 pm »

People hated bocage for the general shit laying around in the roads, the imbalance of the buildings and the indestructable tank traps. Not to mention, the size of the maps and the urban middle made it a meat grinder.

I want the idea applied to RTC style maps. Im sure it's a good idea, just the application was wrong.

I was one of the few people that i know of to actually utilize that old compound to flank and break lines. Always put a dozer croc in my co. for that b/c i knew how usefull it would be to discretely plow thorugh those hedges for a flank.
3rdCondor Offline
Donator

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2010, 11:23:19 pm »

Regarding 3v3  maps:

The best ones are maps that are open with some hedges for flanking opportunities and a central town with some buildings for some urban action. Then on the other side there are some trees or hedges with a couple more buildings for some flanking opportunities. Basically tanteville, bocage, bastion, etc. The maps that are bad in game are ones that specialize in one area (urban, open, hedged).

I would like to see some maps that are balanced without being specialized in one area or the other so that some factions might be at a disadvantage. Too open means 88s dominate, to hedged means pe might do well, urban means piats etc. (I'm sure we all have opinions on which faction would flourish but the point is that it wouldn't be balanced. I'm not trying to list that only X faction would be superior).

Sure they can be made to be fun... maybe a bridge (as long as it isn't the only thing worth fighting for xD. Maybe a slightly bigger town so the map emphasizes a little more on urban, but Carentan??? DAMN
A lot of maps look good, but ppl really only want to play a few maps because they're the best ones. We need more "best ones."
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 11:24:58 pm by 3rdCondor » Logged

No tits, but i will bake a cake then eat it in honour of Sir Condor The 3rd
fuck the pgren rifle, fucking dogshit weapon
My beautiful black pussy won
LeoPhone Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2010, 03:14:53 am »

i am redoing salentijn 4v4. the forest is being redone completely. were there any other problems with it?
skaffa Offline
Honoured Member

The very best player of one of the four factions.

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2010, 08:46:44 am »

Hey, Im working on a 3v3 map, its almost done. I shall upload pictures later on, its pretty awesome so far if I may say so myself.
Has hedges as many people in this topic are talking about, some buildings, open spaces, overall a lot of flanking ways.

Best thing is if people are willing to play it to check it out ! Give their opinion, post games they played so I can see them. If this is in someway guaranteed its worth making new maps. If noone is really willing to try out some new maps before they are in the launcher then its a big demotivator. Im not sure how it usually works with new maps in EIR and how many people try them out, hope a lot will, but we will see.

Quote from: deadbolt
bad luck skaffa>  creates best and most played eir maps
                      >  hated for creating best and most played eir maps

Quote from: Tachibana
47k new all time record?

Quote from: deadbolt
Don't knock it til uve tried it bitchface, this isn't anything like salads version. Besides u said a semois conversion would never work, now look that's the most played map, ohgodwhy.jpg r u map lead
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc