Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 16, 2024, 01:13:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Airborne strafing run  (Read 45115 times)
LeoPhone Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #120 on: June 08, 2010, 11:03:18 pm »

probably because it actually shoots a spray of bullets instead of a spray of AOE.
it totally depends on if the bullet will hit the little guy or not.

not good tbh.
TheLastArmada Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #121 on: June 09, 2010, 12:12:22 am »

i beleive we should make it a suppresion ability , in its current state its uttlerly hit and miss..
so please change it back to suppression with light dps and choose the direction

CrazyWR Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #122 on: June 09, 2010, 02:04:19 am »

has anyone mentioned the fact that on small maps the strafe hits before the plane even comes on the screen?  So thats fun...And on big maps, the plane comes on the screen and hits you with bullets well before reaching your location...

1. New tactics? it's like JAWS, first one in the water dies

RCA-land where shells fall like raindrops and the Captain is an invincible god
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #123 on: June 09, 2010, 04:07:21 am »

That doesn't seem quite right actually.
Mysthalin Offline
Tired King of Stats

« Reply #124 on: June 09, 2010, 05:04:09 am »

Indeed - on small maps you first see your men dieing and getting suppressed, then smoke drops on top of their now cut up heads, then the plane flies over, then the person with the dead or dieing men retreats in panic because he thinks an offmap is coming.

smurfORnot Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #125 on: June 09, 2010, 05:51:54 am »

I want some  Grin
Groundfire Offline
EIRR community manager
EIR Veteran

« Reply #126 on: June 09, 2010, 10:51:19 am »

Really? would you really move if you saw the plane come in at all?

People move already when they see the smoke, the fact that you cant see the plane's direction is the only reason still why this ability has any effectiveness at all.

Btw, strafing run is not as random as everyone thinks. Most of what you here is is popular mythology. there is a specific pattern to how the shots fall and how the damage gets distributed.

Here's a video detailing how the bullets fall and how your units are effected.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E57yBvIqU8

From what I understand (and im going off the GR thread that i remember reading it in) each bullet fired in a strafing run does a set amount of damage. if one bullet hits 1 man, then all the damage is delt to that one man. Usually killing them

If there are two men standing close togather, that bullet damage gets divided in half and distributed to both. They may die, they might not.

If 3 men are standing togather, the bullet damage is divided by 3. The men get suppressed or pinned with only some damage done to their health.

Unless you got some kind of cover/vet buff going on, this is how things work.

It's not random, stop portraying it as such.

Personally i think it's contrary to how this ability should work. Blobbers should be killed not suppressed. On most occasions, only the single squads are killed.

Anything other than that can be attributed to player error at this point. Staying in red cover and such.

IMO, the ability is working fine and dandy and exactly the way it should.

We've already tampered with it enough. Any other further nerf suggested imo is just someone trying to get their army buffed b/c they dont know how things work.

Latest Shoutcast:
EIRR Groundcast 11 "The Super Dev Showdown!!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOGm79rXWhU (full version)

LeoPhone Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #127 on: June 09, 2010, 11:27:56 am »

it still kills complete squads sometimes, and it comes down instantly.
that last thing is the worst part.

if u look at the video, u see the strafle come down within a second of callin it in.
BULLSHIT.
lionel23 Offline
Donator

« Reply #128 on: June 09, 2010, 11:30:44 am »

Small maps and all?  Also, wasn't it said the plane actually doesn't fire the bullets but is just an animation?

Congratulations, dear sir...I must say, never before have I seen such precise gunnery displayed. - CrazyWR (on Leaderboard Howitzers)

LeoPhone Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #129 on: June 09, 2010, 11:33:53 am »

Small maps and all?  Also, wasn't it said the plane actually doesn't fire the bullets but is just an animation?

thats how precision strike works, not strafle run.
LeoPhone Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #130 on: June 09, 2010, 11:35:24 am »

but wasnt there this typhoon rocket run in the game a while ago?
it would come from your spawn and shoot it's rockets in a line. use that for strafle and bombing run too.

Again, you would not be able to choose how the ability fires.  Meaning you cannot line up the enemy army with the strafe, and would result in a huge amount of misses because you can't choose the direction of the strafe.

I don't know how to make this more clear without drawing a picture.

yeah, i thought 1st u were talking about actually making the ability work.

well too bad then, the width of the strafle run is big enough to hit one complete squad at least. and it will still kill a complete squad in most cases(+suppress!!), even if you  just target one.
precision strike, also a t2 can only take out one support weapon. leth the strafle be the same, but then vs infantry.

if it doesnt come down fast enough, increase the speed of the plane, and the range of the guns if it doesnt fire enough bullets.

I drew a picture! Cheesy

Anyways, strafe isn't wide enough to hit a full squad. I've seen strafe bullets go between two men from the same squad and hit nothing.  It also has no aoe suppression so it actually has to hit to suppress.

Precision strike has one big advantage over strafe, you can hit tanks with it and do quite a bit of damage.  It does 200 damage to all tanks and vehicles and comes down so fast it's pretty hard to avoid as long as you're targetting something that is stationary to being with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E57yBvIqU8

look, strafle targets one squad and kills it.

i guess i was right  Grin
lionel23 Offline
Donator

« Reply #131 on: June 09, 2010, 12:04:24 pm »

Cute pic Leo...  Grin

But there's one thing I hate to break to you.. but....

THE PIE IS A LIE!
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #132 on: June 09, 2010, 12:08:49 pm »

Oh god, Godwin's law.
I think we're approaching the point where it's better to just lock the thread and try again.
lionel23 Offline
Donator

« Reply #133 on: June 09, 2010, 12:14:14 pm »

Wow Unknown I had to go totally look that up.. educational lesson of the day.. Godwin's law..  Grin
smurfORnot Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #134 on: June 09, 2010, 12:20:10 pm »

I noticed that it doesnt say for strafing run and bombing run,how much is free and how much is max anymore in launcher? is it only 1 or 2(pay for 2nd,how much pp?)
EliteGren Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #135 on: June 09, 2010, 12:21:10 pm »

All offmaps are 1 free use with an additional 2nd purchase. 2nd strafe is 4 PP, 2nd bombing run is 5.

i prefer to no u
Don't knock it til uve tried it bitchface, this isn't anything like salads version. Besides u said a semois conversion would never work, now look that's the most played map, ohgodwhy.jpg r u map lead
Tamska Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #136 on: June 09, 2010, 12:44:47 pm »

It seems my suggestion about friendly fire created some discussion.

Well my point about the friendly fire is this, imagine this kind of situation:

2x Vet 2 AB squads with RR are shooting from yellow cover. You feel very lucky and think about attacking those AB squads with your 3x vet 3 Mp44 squads. You rush in CQB with those AB squads and start raping them, but then suddenly most of your guys are dead and rest are pinned and then you see red smoke and then a plane on your minimap. After all that, those living AB guys kill the rest if you didn't retreat them quickly enough, or the retreat button doesn't respond(usually happens when they're pinned).

Solution: Strafing run could friendly fire.

Good:

- No more using strafing run in CQB
- You need to think where to send it so it wouldn't harm your own and teammates troops.
- Still very effective blob killer

Bad:

- You can kill your own and friends troops by an accident

Here are other solutions I've found while reading this topic.

Solution 2:

X second delay before the plane comes. But no warning smoke.

Solution 3:

Remove strafing run and think something else.

Solution 4:

I suppose I could turn it into an overwatch ability like the henschel and then reduce the damage on each pass, that's about the only way I can think of to make it balanced.
[/quote] But I would add FF in that too(might be just me)

CrazyWR Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #137 on: June 09, 2010, 01:04:02 pm »

Indeed - on small maps you first see your men dieing and getting suppressed, then smoke drops on top of their now cut up heads, then the plane flies over, then the person with the dead or dieing men retreats in panic because he thinks an offmap is coming.

this. needs fixed...
deadbolt Offline
Probably Banned
EIR Veteran

« Reply #138 on: June 09, 2010, 01:52:29 pm »

make strafe send a recon plane first, then followed by the strafing plane, that way no one can complain about how long it takes, and make it drop yellow smoke or somethin.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 02:03:48 pm by deadbolt » Logged

DERDBERT
Like Jesus, Keeps died for us

He made a funny thread for bear, and got banned.

Now bear makes his own funny thread. It's unsurprisingly not funny.

Keeps died for our funny threads.
Groundfire Offline
EIRR community manager
EIR Veteran

« Reply #139 on: June 09, 2010, 03:23:17 pm »

I like it that for some reason, the ammuntion fired from the damn plane actually matters.

If I were to code in the Inf. T2 howitzer shot to have a plane fly over as the shells are comming down, and the shells insta gibbed a few squads, no one would say a fucking word. Infact it would seem a bit odd, but that's what strafe would be if you switched the type of visual ammo being used from the plane.

But this would make it a bombing run essentially, which is why instead of arty shells, machineguns are used instead. Doesnt make any difference at all.

it still kills complete squads sometimes, and it comes down instantly.
that last thing is the worst part.

if u look at the video, u see the strafle come down within a second of callin it in.
BULLSHIT.

It's supposed to kill squads, all vCoH offesive offmaps are capable of killing squads.

And this was also a vCoH video, there is no delay.

make strafe send a recon plane first, then followed by the strafing plane, that way no one can complain about how long it takes, and make it drop yellow smoke or somethin.

I wouldnt be apposed to toying with this idea, but no smoke, revert strafe back to vCoH and just have the recon plane spawn before the strafe plane. That would give fair warning, imo.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc