Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2024, 01:41:45 am

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GR gets facepalmed  (Read 6058 times)
skaffa Offline
Honoured Member

The very best player of one of the four factions.

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2010, 07:18:54 am »

Map sucked ! Cheesy

Brits basically had nowhere to go but to stay in base area and camp, iirc.

I do remember this Relic dev Mora who tried to set up in the middle, but PE AC rush was OP and he got raped, he realised then they needed to be changed, lol. Kinda weird their own balance team hadnt even tried that.

Quote from: deadbolt
bad luck skaffa>  creates best and most played eir maps
                      >  hated for creating best and most played eir maps

Quote from: Tachibana
47k new all time record?

Quote from: deadbolt
Don't knock it til uve tried it bitchface, this isn't anything like salads version. Besides u said a semois conversion would never work, now look that's the most played map, ohgodwhy.jpg r u map lead
Mysthalin Offline
Tired King of Stats

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2010, 07:40:52 am »

Actually competitive play attracts tournaments and sponsors which increases a product's public exposure which will then surely draw in more competitive players. If COH was better balanced it could have probably become the most popular competitive RTS since Starcraft.

Company of Heroes was never in the position to become such a product, so don't flatter yourself. Truly competitive games happen by sheer fluke. Many, many games have going after the esports crowd and have failed, the reason games like Starcraft are esports is because they were at the right place, at the right time.

Yes, let's ignore the fact Blizzard had already released two games of the same genre(thus gaining experience), made Starcraft and then WC3 specifically for competitive play and spent hours upon hours of work balancing the games as good as they could, and recruiting the best players within the game's community to help them with the balance.

Let's completely forgo that, and imagine both Starcraft and WC3 simply "happened" on a sheer fluke, with the competitive play somehow being completely unaffected by the fact the games were very balanced.

CoH WAS in a position to be the most competitive and popular game ever. It had a completely new and interesting system of suppression and squad-based combat, it already had a decent enough balance(at 1.71), and exactly at the same time the game started picking up it's MP community(coincidence, not related to being decently balanced at all). It could of picked up... The gaming community was ecstatic to find out about OF coming soon.
But then OF actually came out and the game became retarded in terms of balance. It began stagnating in terms of the MP community. After a few somewhat fail patches TOV came along, and now vCoH MP is in general just about dead, save for the few hardcore players that have loved the game since the start, no matter it's short-comings.

Compare that to Starcraft, which is still popular not only in Korea, but in many countries around the world.

Akranadas Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2010, 08:07:03 am »

Saying COH was in the position to the most competitive and popular game ever is ridiculous, complete and utter garbage. CoH was a good game, no doubt about it and it had a competitive community behind it, but it never took off, even with 1.71 next to no action happen at esports level to propel it to the competitive stage.

COH was never going to be the next starcraft, saying that is basically saying that every new RTS is going to be the next starcraft. Company of Heroes is what it is, and was never going to be anything more than that. Relic never wanted it to be beyond what it was; they saw no need to push the Esport level of competitive play, and most likely because there isn't really a market in that area for another RTS.

I mean, come on; the esports are still playing mostly 6-10 year old games, Starcraft, WC3, CS 1.6 SF2.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 08:10:10 am by Akranadas » Logged
Mysthalin Offline
Tired King of Stats

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2010, 08:18:47 am »

Exactly - all those games are old. It's time for new games to take the plate. The old E-sports community will go off to do other things, and then what? You expect the new up and coming players to keep looking back at the past? Doubt it.

You've basically said it yourself : Relic didn't want CoH to become an e-sports game, and hence they began neglecting balance, creating OP units accessible only via the purchase of other instalments to boost up sales. This is what killed the MP community, more or less, and what made sure CoH would never become an e-sports game : even though it had the potential.
kitekaze Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2010, 08:39:16 am »

You've basically said it yourself : Relic didn't want CoH to become an e-sports game, and hence they began neglecting balance, creating OP units accessible only via the purchase of other instalments to boost up sales. This is what killed the MP community, more or less, and what made sure CoH would never become an e-sports game : even though it had the potential.

If you want a balance competitive game, make a mod and play it. That's where Europe in Ruins take place Wink.
winisez Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2010, 08:51:28 am »

Exactly - all those games are old. It's time for new games to take the plate. The old E-sports community will go off to do other things, and then what? You expect the new up and coming players to keep looking back at the past? Doubt it.

I think the mechanics of COH also prohibited it somewhat, imagine if a world final game was decided on whether a ATG hits a sniper, if that happened to me, I know id feel cheated.

on this note, we should just put atg's to NEVER hit infantry, its stupid and it can seriously swing games, its unnecessary and only adds frustration and bs to game play.
LeoPhone Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2010, 08:57:26 am »

on this note, we should just put atg's to NEVER hit infantry, its stupid and it can seriously swing games, its unnecessary and only adds frustration and bs to game play.

any weapon has some effectiveness vs whichever unit in the game. rifles can kill a puma, jeep can even kill a tiger.

i also get completely pissed off when an atg snipes 3 guys of my storms in a row again.
but that's part of the game. this is no hardcore promod. that's why it's still alive.
Nimitz Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2010, 09:08:07 am »

I think the mechanics of COH also prohibited it somewhat, imagine if a world final game was decided on whether a ATG hits a sniper, if that happened to me, I know id feel cheated.

Poker.
Smokaz Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2010, 09:11:15 am »

In the end relic gave us a great game, if you cut them some slack at least when it comes to post-release support etc

but that said unless you are planning sequels and expansions, supporting a currently already released game makes you no $$$

SlippedHerTheBigOne: big penis puma
SlippedHerTheBigOne: and i have no repairkits
SlippedHerTheBigOne: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Mysthalin Offline
Tired King of Stats

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2010, 10:15:21 am »

Never thought I'd say it - agree with nimitz ;p. Most games, even starcraft rely on luck as much as they do on skill.

winisez Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2010, 10:17:45 am »

In what regard does startcraft rely on luck? I actually haven't played it much so im not sure....
LeoPhone Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2010, 10:30:34 am »

In what regard does startcraft rely on luck? I actually haven't played it much so im not sure....

ur luckey if ur pathing doesnt fuck up lol.
and thats about all the luck i can think of in that game.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc