Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 22, 2024, 01:54:01 am

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [US] Mortar!! Why does it suck so much?  (Read 12414 times)
lionel23 Offline
Donator

« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2010, 02:08:47 pm »

Decisions by devs for it to counter all allied non-doctrine support, while the US mortar is not designed to counter most of axis support (it can counter an HMG, but not an axis mortar) when I brought up discussion to make it do what it's suppose to do.

Also it sucks in comparison to damage and suppression and accuracy and did a few test games, a good example was having two allied mortars at medium/close range against 2 vanilla volks, no vet involved.

A hit from each mortar failed to kill any members of the squad (two total), while a 3rd ended up killing one volks, a 4th ended up killing another volks.. etc.  The volks are not suppressed at all and are able to charge the mortars and kill them all.

Look on the other flip side, Axis mortars can suppress (which I don't think mortars should ever do that, that's what HMGs are for) and do nasty damage to allied support and infantry weapons.  Pretty much can one shot a rifle squad and a good hit can take close to 50% out on rangers with no losses.

For the price you pay for the US mortar, which is more than a ranger squad and as much ammo as a sticky bomb riflemen, I find the US mortar is a waste of space in any US army, and they tend to be more deadly to friendly fire when you're trying to get up close with your infantry armies.  A howitzer, FOO British Officer, 25lber, or a calliope is always better for their costs than the US mortar and I would encourage any new player never to use one if asked and to put it into something more reliable (like a rifle team that can kill a wehr support team and take the weapon, all for the lost cost of a single rifle squad).

Congratulations, dear sir...I must say, never before have I seen such precise gunnery displayed. - CrazyWR (on Leaderboard Howitzers)

skaffa Offline
Honoured Member

The very best player of one of the four factions.

« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2010, 02:14:31 pm »

Decisions by devs for it to counter all allied non-doctrine support, while the US mortar is not designed to counter most of axis support (it can counter an HMG, but not an axis mortar) when I brought up discussion to make it do what it's suppose to do.

But axis has all the support weapons, bunkers etc. US doesnt really have that many. Shouldnt the US mortar's role be to take out the wehr stuff ? Now it cant really do that because axis mortar will outrange it and usually win mortar war.

Quote from: deadbolt
bad luck skaffa>  creates best and most played eir maps
                      >  hated for creating best and most played eir maps

Quote from: Tachibana
47k new all time record?

Quote from: deadbolt
Don't knock it til uve tried it bitchface, this isn't anything like salads version. Besides u said a semois conversion would never work, now look that's the most played map, ohgodwhy.jpg r u map lead
Mysthalin Offline
Tired King of Stats

« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2010, 02:31:33 pm »

It's an integral part to support weapon balance between the factions. Wehrmacht has always had the better deal when it came to support weapons : they have a superior HMG, they have a superior mortar and, in many ways, a superior AT gun. Playing with this balance between the factions could prove fairly disastrous.

Now, EiRR has actually made the discrepancy somewhat less obvious by nerfing the pak's cloaking capabilities - but I'm personally of the opinion there is going to be no more actual change to the support weapons as they are. First off - Wehrmacht pays both more resources and more pool value to get it's superior support weapons. Secondly - mirror balance isn't going to happen, as it simply makes the game uninteresting. I mean - the Allies have a significantly better deal when it comes to Light Vehicles - yet the axis counterparts aren't exactly recieving much love to equalise it.

Tymathee Offline
Donator

« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2010, 02:50:28 pm »

this is the way balance goes on ami vs wehr

ami vs wehr

infantry < support weapons
lt vehicles > support weapons
support < support
tanks < support
tanks > tanks
light vehicles > light vehicles
infantry = infantry (its pretty much a wash tbh)
Infantry > tanks

"I want proof!"
"I have proof!"
"Whatever, I'm still right"

Dafuq man, don't ask for proof if you'll refuse it if it's not in your favor, logic fallacy for the bloody win.
Draken Offline
Chess master
EIR Veteran

« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2010, 02:55:35 pm »

TLS has shown that infantry vs infantry only ends in masive rape of amis.

On a sidenote amis engies shouldn't be 3 pop imo, they in terms of balance are equal to flame pios, but can take 1 sniper shoot more, but die in 3 seconds to focus fire and get suppresed on negative cover by volks.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 03:00:01 pm by Draken » Logged
Tymathee Offline
Donator

« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2010, 03:04:36 pm »

On a sidenote amis engies shouldn't be 3 pop imo, they in terms of balance are equal to flame pios, but can take 1 sniper shoot more, but die in 3 seconds to focus fire and get suppresed on negative cover by volks.

yes, but that was when every wehr doc could have double lmg's, now that only terror could have it,i wonder how it would change?
LeoPhone Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2010, 03:05:57 pm »

ami engis can get 2 mines per unit, wehr can only get 1 mine per unit. allies have the advantage with 3 pop already.
Draken Offline
Chess master
EIR Veteran

« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2010, 03:11:02 pm »

with doctrine unlock you can get 2 mines on pios, and being able to buy 1 mine for 15 mun can be sometimes advantage, since you risk less when you loose pios.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc