Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 01:21:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 26, 2024, 09:37:35 am]

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Map idea suggestion thread  (Read 12388 times)
Calstifer Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2010, 02:49:41 am »

Cal your map looks pretty good but you need lots more detail and less giant grassy fields. you need to really think about how a town would expand and the typs of areas around it (for accuracy) and then you need to put cover inbetween the main areas so troops can retreat and advance (gameplay values.)

Problam being, my map is a 32X44 CM map. That level of detail is extremely hard to do to scale. my buildings are to scale, and look how small they are. I cannot draw every piece of cover, every little detail. I can, however, bring an overview of what the map should like look like. Ill try and make it more detailed, but i have done alot as far as detail wise and more will just clog it.

Thanks for your feedback.

PS: I will be making a new version. Ill make it bigger as  well.

PSS: are you sure you looked at the 2nd version?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 03:06:36 am by Calstifer » Logged

"This man is incapable of doing the most simpleist of tasks.

I recommend never asking this person to do any tasked deemed easy for infants. Ever." -Various sorces.
John8Ball Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2010, 04:33:14 am »

What i would like to see is a Trench warfare map 3v3.
Lots off atmosphere greated by on map fires and smoke and building ruble.
3x Funnelled attacks corridors seperated by small water crossings.
This will be a map for infrantry and arty.
Rubble and walls can be used by vechicles for cover.
Bomb blast wholes can be used for negative cover.
WW2 inspiration would be Stalingrad.

My 2cents on map design is about alot of pathing complainers in games i have played should think what they are actually complaining about is unrelistic as maps shouldn't be built for superhighway vechicle battles.  Reducing fuel levels is not going to reduce their abuse it would be map design which would be better.
rifle87654 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2010, 04:35:01 am »

I think a map like bastogne would be good.
Allies spawn in the middle.
Callins just pop out from a tunnel.
Like the V1 facillity in Sottevast.
While Axis spawn from all sides.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahaha hahahahah
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahaha hahahahah
Does he have a problem?
Anyway he's hilarious.
Calstifer Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2010, 05:02:23 am »

What i would like to see is a Trench warfare map 3v3.
Lots off atmosphere greated by on map fires and smoke and building ruble.
3x Funnelled attacks corridors seperated by small water crossings.
This will be a map for infrantry and arty.
Rubble and walls can be used by vechicles for cover.
Bomb blast wholes can be used for negative cover.
WW2 inspiration would be Stalingrad.

I could build one where there are trenches each side, with what you describle, but we can make it so the middle of the battlefield is empty (apart from tank carcuses and craters, which would make for good cover) and make everything elce in the middle neg cover. Maybe a 3v3 map? It would cater for tanks with 'corridors' in the line for them to pass. It would be an intresting ME map. Ill draw it up, see what you think.

I think a map like bastogne would be good.
Allies spawn in the middle.
Callins just pop out from a tunnel.
Like the V1 facillity in Sottevast.
While Axis spawn from all sides.

This idea would be good, but unless we can make it so its always axis attack, it would be near impossible. Although, once the war map goes into place and ME isnt such a fad, then it would be a good one to play. I belive in the future maps will be assigned ME, AX or Allied X or R+ from the warmap with enticing PP's. Would be good to see that one in an attacking scenario.

PS: would like a detailed analasys of what i have done wrong on my drawring so i can improve. Saying a generalisation will not help me. Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 05:45:46 am by Calstifer » Logged
rifle87654 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2010, 06:14:13 am »

I could build one where there are trenches each side, with what you describle, but we can make it so the middle of the battlefield is empty (apart from tank carcuses and craters, which would make for good cover) and make everything elce in the middle neg cover. Maybe a 3v3 map? It would cater for tanks with 'corridors' in the line for them to pass. It would be an intresting ME map. Ill draw it up, see what you think.

This idea would be good, but unless we can make it so its always axis attack, it would be near impossible. Although, once the war map goes into place and ME isnt such a fad, then it would be a good one to play. I belive in the future maps will be assigned ME, AX or Allied X or R+ from the warmap with enticing PP's. Would be good to see that one in an attacking scenario.

PS: would like a detailed analasys of what i have done wrong on my drawring so i can improve. Saying a generalisation will not help me. Thanks!
I thought it was suggestion.
Calstifer Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2010, 06:19:39 am »

Suggestions can be brought to life if possible. I have just drawn up the mesurments. It will be 224X480 cubits and a 3v3 map (for the trenches). My to-be diagram is 22.4CMX48CM, making a ratio of 1-10. This will mean every cubit of object will be approx 1mm on my map. I am going to see if i can make one double the size for a final schimatic that has a ratio of 1-5, with mesurments of 44.8X96. Dont know if it will be worth it however.
deadbolt Offline
Probably Banned
EIR Veteran

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2010, 06:49:33 am »

you know you coulda made your map in worldbuilder by now, lolz.

DERDBERT
Like Jesus, Keeps died for us

He made a funny thread for bear, and got banned.

Now bear makes his own funny thread. It's unsurprisingly not funny.

Keeps died for our funny threads.
MittinsKittens Offline
Donator

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2010, 06:51:46 am »

How easy is it too make maps? Because if its like the WC3 world builder in terms of ease to use, I might try and think something up and make something :3

EiRNames:- MittinsKittens & FlutterShyPegasus
Calstifer Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2010, 06:56:54 am »

you know you coulda made your map in worldbuilder by now, lolz.

Quote from: calstifer
Unforunatly, i am unable to make maps because i have too much work and it would be the worst map you'd ever seen, due to my lack of skill and experience. I do not want my good map ideas to go to waste.

read original post of gtfo of my thread.
deadbolt Offline
Probably Banned
EIR Veteran

« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2010, 07:02:54 am »

but you have time to draw it on paper and scan it to your computer, lolk.
MittinsKittens Offline
Donator

« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2010, 07:14:22 am »

Wait, serious question, is it possible to make it look like you're actually fighting on these pieces of paper (and make the houses look like paper ect).
Since if you could somehow do that, that would be EPIC!
It be like fighting with army men like you did as a kid, except, that there's actually balance to it (and it isn't just you swiping loads of men down at a time for a arty hit) or more importantly, there's no tiding up after as ironicly, you've turnt you room into a bombshell using all these men :3
MittinsKittens Offline
Donator

« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2010, 07:46:51 am »

Warhammer is a good game Cheesy
Wish I had a. The skills to paint, and b. The time too Smiley
Got a load of tau that need painting/gluing.
Calstifer Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2010, 07:58:23 am »

Back on topic. My drawrings, how to better them. Any ideas.
EliteGren Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2010, 08:10:30 am »

I have no idea, I don't seem to see shit on them to be honest. Some mapper needs to try his hand on it.

i prefer to no u
Don't knock it til uve tried it bitchface, this isn't anything like salads version. Besides u said a semois conversion would never work, now look that's the most played map, ohgodwhy.jpg r u map lead
scoopdjm Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2010, 08:26:45 am »

Problam being, my map is a 32X44 CM map. That level of detail is extremely hard to do to scale. my buildings are to scale, and look how small they are. I cannot draw every piece of cover, every little detail. I can, however, bring an overview of what the map should like look like. Ill try and make it more detailed, but i have done alot as far as detail wise and more will just clog it.

Thanks for your feedback.

PS: I will be making a new version. Ill make it bigger as  well.

PSS: are you sure you looked at the 2nd version?

thats cool i totally understand

but you don't need to draw EVERY piece of cover infact i liked what you were doing and just generalizing spaces of the map such as forest, town, lumbercamp (i think)

you should take your time a little bit everyday, start small

and i understand the scale of your map is small so just generalize or like me use sticky notes for alternitive designs.

p.s. yay bigger is USUALLY better

p.s.s. i think so ill have to go back and look though

EDIT:
Wait, serious question, is it possible to make it look like you're actually fighting on these pieces of paper (and make the houses look like paper ect).
Since if you could somehow do that, that would be EPIC!
It be like fighting with army men like you did as a kid, except, that there's actually balance to it (and it isn't just you swiping loads of men down at a time for a arty hit) or more importantly, there's no tiding up after as ironicly, you've turnt you room into a bombshell using all these men :3

YES, i draw battles all the time.
and if i think you mean 3d houses and stuff that to is possible certain architects do that everyday.

EDIT EDIT:
Back on topic. My drawrings, how to better them. Any ideas.

you need more destroyed enviroments, hedgerows (everybody loves hedgerows), and fields like on farms and what not.

question? do you do have any worldbuilder experience (i know you said you had limited time but i was just wondering)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 08:34:30 am by scoopdjm » Logged

Calstifer Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2010, 08:42:51 am »

1: This area is a pre-war area. It will have no debris because units have not yet fought here.

2: I have experience, nothing publishable but i do know the dynamics and the tricks of the WB.
scoopdjm Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2010, 08:57:48 am »

#1 reply: oh ok than that would make perfect sense not to have any destroyed areas (srry just assumed it was already being fought over)
 #2 reply: cool, just wanted to know
AmPM Offline
Community Mapper

« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2010, 11:09:03 am »

World Builder can be a complete bitch, sometimes.

The key is to put all the gameplay features on the map, get it tested, and get feedback before adding details. Sometimes a design just doesn't work and needs to be scrapped.

Calstifer Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2010, 02:58:23 pm »

Still, i want a mapper or someone to review this map, with good and bad comments and why. This is getting no-where at the moment.
AmPM Offline
Community Mapper

« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2010, 03:50:17 pm »

I'll take a look at it. From a quick glance it looks nice. Would be kind of a pain to do but I could rough it up real fast. Might take a day or two.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc