Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 22, 2024, 07:20:51 am

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A visual History of Starcraft(and the RTS genre)  (Read 4633 times)
brn4meplz Offline
Misinformation Officer

« on: October 28, 2010, 11:28:24 pm »

For anyone who is bored or actually interested in the most competitive RTS title of all time this is an excellent thread/series of videos.

The videos are interspersed in the text reading of what he says. you just need to scroll to the next video link.

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=154789

He thinks Tactics is a breath mint

Wow I think that was the nicest thing brn ever posted!  Tongue

the pussy of a prostitute is not tight enough for destroy a condom Wink
Malgoroth Offline
Donator

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 04:45:25 am »

After playing CoH, I feel nothing significant whatsoever for Starcraft. As far as multiplayer is concerned, it's trite, tediously repetitive, and is totally lacking any immersive quality. Its popularity actually does a disservice to RTS gaming. If the gameplay style of Starcraft is what makes the money, then where is the incentive to make a game like CoH?

Single player is great through. Blizzard can tell one hell of a story (cheese factor aside).

Interesting vids. Excellent stroll down memory lane. I remember playing Total Annihilation over Kali.net back when I was but a wee lad. However, the guys voice is incredibly annoying. His forced laughter and somewhat monotone recital really hurts to listen to.
brn4meplz Offline
Misinformation Officer

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 05:07:37 am »

I felt the same way about the first Starcraft(I can't stand selecting only 12 units)

But the game is actually quite phenomenal from a competitive sense. Multiplayer is challenging as fuck. It's easily the most challenging multiplayer game I've ever touched. As far as immersion goes, I don't know of any RTS game that achieves that(at least for me) EiR comes close but then again EiR isn't an RTS game in the traditional sense.

The level of intricacy you find in Starcraft 2's multiplayer is hard to grasp at first and as purely a spectator it might be lost on someone. The feeling of beating your opponent through mental pressure is a fantastic feeling though.
Smokaz Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 05:30:44 am »

My problem with SC is that what separates the best players from the average is the ability to do actions more like a robot than a human Tongue

I too can macro up to two bases and create control groups, manage probe production etc. But I cant micro my blob of 100 blink stalkers and coluss while macroing up at home on 4 bases, managing upgrades etc. You need the insane apm for that.

It feels like a game where you have to go to "school" for 1-2 years just to learn how to macro and then THEN you will be a part of the average. Way too much planning involved ! I like games that have a intuitive feel to it, what seems intelligent to do in real life should be intuitive in the game. Flanking, supression, flushing stuff out with flames and grenades, using cover - it's all natural. If you'd tell a guy "here's a rock" and "here's your unit" - your unit is being shot at, what you should you do? "move behind that cover and shoot back" logical!

Being the sole administrator of 9 bases, does not feel natural and motivating. Maybe if they removed the supply building thing so you wouldn't spend so much time on this it would have been a more enjoyable game.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 05:36:00 am by Smokaz » Logged

SlippedHerTheBigOne: big penis puma
SlippedHerTheBigOne: and i have no repairkits
SlippedHerTheBigOne: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
brn4meplz Offline
Misinformation Officer

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 05:43:42 am »

$90K USD is pretty motivating for alot of people. not even to mention all the smaller tournament prize pools.

Starcraft 2 has the highest paying tournaments in E-sports.

Granted playing on that level is ridiculously hard. and it doesn;t take massive APM to be good. I don;t sit there mashing APM(as Actions without thought are wasted effort) but my APM easily peaks during intense combat in SC2 at 400+. I play it because my macro skills are so bad, thats what I'm trying to improve. CoH doesn't provide that economic stress
Malevolence Offline
Donator

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 05:54:35 am »

SC2 is totally baller. Highest skill cap game I've ever played, even in the top 5% of players globally there are huge distinctions in skill level.

Akranadas' Greatest Hits, Volume 1:

Quote from: Akranadas
Vet has nothing to do with unit preformance.

Quote from: Akranadas
We are serious about enforcing this, and I am sure you all want to be able to have your balance thought considered by the development team with some biased, sensationalist coming into your thread and ruining it.
Smokaz Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 05:58:24 am »

FUUUUUUU

Roach-hydra owned again. I need to get colossus!
brn4meplz Offline
Misinformation Officer

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 06:19:33 am »

Open Phoenix. It forces Hydra and you easily transition into HT's and charge.

I open Phonix into +1 Air weapons(the damage bonus doesn;t add additional +to light which sucks) but then I transition into Carriers and use mass Zealot as a meat screen. each +1 weapon for air is an additional 16 damage on Carriers.
brn4meplz Offline
Misinformation Officer

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 06:20:29 am »

Man It's entertaining watching ex SC pro-gamers wreck face in SC2
on Tuesday it'll be the two most successful names from SC1 facing off against each other in SC2
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 06:32:17 am by brn4meplz » Logged
Smokaz Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 06:36:01 am »

Well, it was more that I didn't follow my own knowledge.

His first ling/roach attack failed and I had secured 2 expansions. I had a immortal out to deal with the roaches which helped my zealot stalker sentry thing.

But I got lazy and didnt bring out a colossus so when he came back with roach/hydra it ate all my units because hydras just pwn gateway so hard.
Mysthalin Offline
Tired King of Stats

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 06:43:01 am »

What a trip down memory lane.. Wish new games were as good nowadays as they were back then.. Sigh..

shockcoil Offline
griefer & spammer
EIR Veteran

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2010, 07:01:32 am »

Man It's entertaining watching ex SC pro-gamers wreck face in SC2
on Tuesday it'll be the two most successful names from SC1 facing off against each other in SC2
Still waiting for the some of the 500apms monsters to switch over though. Jaedong vs Flash in SC2 plz  Grin

3rdCondor Offline
Donator

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2010, 09:36:13 am »

Starcraft is what the South Koreans use to take their North Korean frustration out on. OMG they bombed another ship!??? Take THAT Protoss!

No tits, but i will bake a cake then eat it in honour of Sir Condor The 3rd
fuck the pgren rifle, fucking dogshit weapon
My beautiful black pussy won
nugnugx Offline
Donator

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2010, 10:44:28 am »

lol

Malevolence Offline
Donator

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2010, 12:48:46 pm »

Man, Boxer is really good in SC2 - the APM reduction since Brood War really lets him play to his full capacity.

Fake boxer is good, too, but he's fake Sad

I never really followed Nada much in the original but word on the street is he was a mega gosu superballer that could explode your face just by looking at you like the ark of the covenant in Indiana Jones. So of course that matchup will be super good, I'm just sad it has to be TvT (though I have to admit TvT is a thousand times more interesting a matchup than it was in Brood War...)

Smokaz Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2010, 12:53:02 pm »

Man, Boxer is really good in SC2 - the APM reduction since Brood War really lets him play to his full capacity.

Fake boxer is good, too, but he's fake Sad

I never really followed Nada much in the original but word on the street is he was a mega gosu superballer that could explode your face just by looking at you like the ark of the covenant in Indiana Jones. So of course that matchup will be super good, I'm just sad it has to be TvT (though I have to admit TvT is a thousand times more interesting a matchup than it was in Brood War...)

Links
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 12:55:07 pm by Smokaz » Logged
Smokaz Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2010, 07:19:52 pm »

You're seriously not gonna post this NOW, mal?

Thats like delivering christmas presents mid february
spinn72 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2010, 08:14:26 pm »

Yeah but.. In CoH, there's the random factor, which makes it a noob game because everyone knows the best games are the ones where everything is completely RPS and works 100% of the time.. That's so much more fun...

Right guys?

P.S. As if Starcraft took off, but Warcraft 2 didn't. That's easily my favourite RTS bar CoH ever.
Spartan_Marine88 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2010, 08:36:11 pm »

My favourite RTS ever, unfortunatly shadowed by the Big Name games, and by the US pulling it from shelves do to the gasmask on the box being in 'poor taste'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7z6Qm2uk_I

Yes that's me, the special snowflake.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc