Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 21, 2024, 11:36:12 am

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: To Any RGD Coders  (Read 5834 times)
Tymathee Offline
Donator

« on: January 07, 2011, 07:28:22 pm »

Just a question. Is it possible to tie munitions and fuel to units?

Say I wanted every shot that an infantry unit makes deplete munitions is that possible?

Or when a vehicle moves it costs fuel, etc.

"I want proof!"
"I have proof!"
"Whatever, I'm still right"

Dafuq man, don't ask for proof if you'll refuse it if it's not in your favor, logic fallacy for the bloody win.
Grundwaffe Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 08:07:05 pm »

Yeah, suggest that to Blitzkrieg lol.

Or when a vehicle moves it costs fuel, etc.
That actually sound pretty cool, and pay mp for more fuel? or something.. lots of oppertunities.

But i wont disturb your thread anymoar. Cheesy
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 08:18:51 pm by Grundwaffe » Logged

SublimeHauken - Back from the dead - Since 2007'
Illegal_Carrot Offline
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 08:37:29 pm »

Yes, it's possible to have a set amount of resources when a game starts, and have it get depleted throughout the match; just look at LeoPhone's Commanders mod (you start with certain resources and pay to purchase units or use abilities).

No, I don't think it's possible to directly tie a cost to shooting, driving, etc.
You could, however, set troops to Hold Fire by default, and the only way to get them to fire would be to pay for a 'Fire Weapon' ability, perhaps 5Mu for 30 seconds of shooting. Same with a Fuel cost on a temporary 'Drive Vehicle' ability.

Having a cost on basic unit functions (shooting, driving, etc) is a terrible idea, though.

Rifle87654: Give me reward points.
Brn4meplz: I'm drunk.
Tymathee Offline
Donator

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 08:55:58 pm »

I dunno, i thought of it as a realism measure. You cap munis and fuel so you can keep your army going.

It would curb spam in some sense because the more men you have firing, the more ammo is depleted and if you have a lot of vehicles but not the fuel to support it, then they'll stop dead in their tracks.

just an idea im brain storming. I like Carrots expansion on it though, i wouldn't make it 30 seconds though, probably longer but the only issue i'd have is you'd still lose fuel when you stop, or for weapons if you aren't firing, youre still losing that time.

could possibly tie it into uses, for tanks and clips for infantry.
Falcon333 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 10:15:32 pm »

How does upkeep work? If it's possible to make a vehicle do a -1 fuel income whilst you get a base of say +6. You can't have more than 6 vehicles on the field at once. If somehow the fuel could be hardcapped at 50 or something?

I'm just brainstorming here, this probably isn't possible.

"Chance favors the prepared mind"
3rdCondor Offline
Donator

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 10:15:43 pm »

Yeah, suggest that to Blitzkrieg lol.
That actually sound pretty cool, and pay mp for more fuel? or something.. lots of oppertunities.

But i wont disturb your thread anymoar. Cheesy

+1

Blitzkrieg was fun back in the early 2000's when there weren't good WWII RTS games and we didn't know any better.

No tits, but i will bake a cake then eat it in honour of Sir Condor The 3rd
fuck the pgren rifle, fucking dogshit weapon
My beautiful black pussy won
Tymathee Offline
Donator

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 10:30:54 pm »

How does upkeep work? If it's possible to make a vehicle do a -1 fuel income whilst you get a base of say +6. You can't have more than 6 vehicles on the field at once. If somehow the fuel could be hardcapped at 50 or something?

I'm just brainstorming here, this probably isn't possible.

thats true. you can make units do a negative but thats on the income.
PonySlaystation Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 10:38:06 pm »

Company of Heroes is not about realism it's about gameplay if you want realism then there's Men of War that you can play.

Realism is fun when playing singeplayer or co-op but in competitive gaming it's just annoying.

Sharks are not monsters Henley, they are cute, cuddly and misunderstood. They love humans. sometimes they love TOO much. They love people so much that sometimes their kisses separate people into two flailing pieces which are consumed by other sharks in a frenzy of peace and joy.
Spartan_Marine88 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 10:39:19 pm »

competitive gaming it's just annoying.

World in Conflict did it perfectly tbh

Yes that's me, the special snowflake.
Scotzmen Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 11:50:00 pm »

Yes its possible, there is a line in there specifically for that purpose. Never used though. I dont know about the vehicals driving costing resoruces, as i havnt seen it lying around.
Spartan_Marine88 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 11:51:02 pm »

Yes its possible, there is a line in there specifically for that purpose. Never used though. I dont know about the vehicals driving costing resoruces, as i havnt seen it lying around.

If the code is flexible enough you could probably do it yourself, but it would take a butt load of time to do
EIRRMod Offline
Administrator / Lead Developer

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 11:56:39 pm »

Im sure its possible actually.

Make a unit buff itself with a -1 fuel whenever its moving, and remove (or not add) said buff when the effect is stationary.

Or something similar.

Quote from: brn4meplz
Shit I'm pretty sure you could offer the guy a cup of coffee and he'd try to kill you with the mug if you forgot sugar.
Quote from: tank130
That's like offering Beer to fuck the fat chick. It will work for a while, but it's not gonna last. Not only that, but there is zero motivation for the Fat chick to loose weight.
Quote from: tank130
Why don't you collect up your love beads and potpourri and find something constructive to do.
Groundfire Offline
EIRR community manager
EIR Veteran

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 11:58:33 pm »

Make a unit buff itself with a -1 fuel whenever its moving, and remove (or not add) said buff when the effect is stationary.

Or something similar.

That would be pretty interesting somewhere down the line for realism. Would be crap for the competitive side of eir tho.

Latest Shoutcast:
EIRR Groundcast 11 "The Super Dev Showdown!!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOGm79rXWhU (full version)

Tymathee Offline
Donator

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2011, 12:06:48 am »

Company of Heroes is not about realism it's about gameplay if you want realism then there's Men of War that you can play.

Realism is fun when playing singeplayer or co-op but in competitive gaming it's just annoying.

you do notice that this is the general discussion and not for eirr? i'm not making any suggestions. It's just a thought i was havin earlier while I was brain storming and I wonder if it could be done. Could make interesting tactical game play. It'd not only be important to hold munis and fuel for units n stuff, instead it's important for making your army go, run low and you're a sitting duck.

Or something similar.

thats not a bad idea.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 01:08:51 am by Tymathee » Logged
EIRRMod Offline
Administrator / Lead Developer

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2011, 12:17:22 am »

I completely agree Wink
Tymathee Offline
Donator

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2011, 01:09:49 am »

I completely agree Wink

as do I cuz coh is one of the most unrealistic games ever with real units, on some units, it's not even close to what the real unit is! (i.e. M-18)
Mysthalin Offline
Tired King of Stats

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2011, 04:06:31 am »

World in Conflict? Realistic?

LOOOOOOOL.

EliteGren Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2011, 04:10:58 am »

Looks interesting but it's nothing for EiR tbh

i prefer to no u
Don't knock it til uve tried it bitchface, this isn't anything like salads version. Besides u said a semois conversion would never work, now look that's the most played map, ohgodwhy.jpg r u map lead
Mysthalin Offline
Tired King of Stats

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2011, 05:10:11 am »

Anyway, Luci hit the nail on the head about movement. Look at the vCoH overdrive ability(or flank speed) to see how they made it eat fuel when being used, then just make the ability the same way we have EiRR abilities affecting incoming accuracy while moving.

As for fire - unless you want to make everything fire the same way howitzers do you'll probably have to go for the "enable fire for n time" solution - though looking into vCoH fallschirmjager ambush where the bonuses apply for a certain ammount of shots(not a certain ammount of time) could prove to be somewhat useful.
LeoPhone Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2011, 06:44:04 am »

check out the weapon file. it has fire->on fire actions. simply throw a \ability_action\modify_resources and see if it works.

for vehicles moving add a constant ability to the vehicle with a \requirements\required_in_state requirement to see if it is moving. (remember eir's change to the marder so it can only lock down when stationary?)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc