Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 09, 2024, 09:18:16 am

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[October 05, 2024, 07:29:20 am]

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Off Maps  (Read 9179 times)
Malgoroth Offline
Donator

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2011, 10:03:44 am »

2 rifle squads is hardly a blob. L2 properly define EiR terms. And why did you single out rocket arty?

I had a vet 2 pershing barely escape 2 rocket barrages with a sliver of health remaining last night. It was quite epic. I had swamp pits when I saw that red smoke and knew what was coming

I included rocket arty because it fits in with my personal definition of wide AOE super killing ability which isn't conducive to fun game play.

imho all of those super artys should be tied to an on map unit. Want a rocket barrage? Make it a 2 use ability tied to something like a spotter squad that has a limit of one squad per company. A 160 mp 40 mu 4 man unit with decent sight but low health that needs to be within 60m of the drop zone in order to use it. Same goes for earth shaker, arty saturation (whatever it's called) etc. That's why creeping barrage is only semi bullshit, it's not really OP because it's tied to an on map source. I don't want to see them eliminated. Just made more reasonable.

nugnugx Offline
Donator

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2011, 10:06:35 am »

^ no no no no , everything wrong with that post, hurts my coh eyes to read it.

Mysthalin Offline
Tired King of Stats

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2011, 10:07:17 am »

I say get rid of offmaps
I say no.

nugnugx Offline
Donator

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2011, 10:08:44 am »

Pros : we want offmaps

Nubs: get rid of offmaps

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
PonySlaystation Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2011, 10:09:50 am »

And why did you single out rocket arty?

Because I have seen it in action and used it myself and the only time it was able to hit units and do any damage was to huge blobs and then mostly suppressing them. Rocket Barrage does very little damage to tanks, it's not a wide area and you have plenty of time to escape.

Sharks are not monsters Henley, they are cute, cuddly and misunderstood. They love humans. sometimes they love TOO much. They love people so much that sometimes their kisses separate people into two flailing pieces which are consumed by other sharks in a frenzy of peace and joy.
NightRain Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2011, 10:10:28 am »

According to malgoroth almost every offmap allies have would become a unit tied ability rofl. 105 barrage earth shaker and Rocket Run.

Because a forum post should be like a woman's skirt. Long enough to cover the subject material, but short enough to keep things interesting.
nugnugx Offline
Donator

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2011, 10:12:13 am »

Some mod pls delete this thread.

Nubs that don't want offmaps gather here and talk so much bs one cannot even imagine.
Malgoroth Offline
Donator

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2011, 10:20:32 am »

Hmm... then they must have fucked rocket arty stats because I remember barraging tanks back in the day and watching them all explode within milliseconds.

And perhaps this thread should be closed. Trolls who lack the capacity to defend their point or advance the topic are stagnating it. For instance... they don't explain why having arty tied to an on map source is a bad thing for game play.
nugnugx Offline
Donator

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2011, 10:22:15 am »

they don't explain why having arty tied to an on map source is a bad thing for game play.

because arty tied to an onmap is no longer an offmap.

capish ? 

/thread
Malgoroth Offline
Donator

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2011, 10:25:49 am »

And that's bad how?

Will I get an answer or another desperate attempt to troll because you can't form coherent arguments?
nugnugx Offline
Donator

« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2011, 10:26:56 am »

And that's bad how?

Will I get an answer or another desperate attempt to troll because you can't form coherent arguments?

I just told you , if you don't understand that it's not my problem.
Malgoroth Offline
Donator

« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2011, 10:30:56 am »

Like I thought. The poor little troll folds when asked to defend his position.
Vermillion_Hawk Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2011, 04:28:21 pm »

In war, "off map" artillery was incredibly common and a vital tool for success in battle. However, that does not necessarily mean it should be included in the game with a disregard for balance, but it isn't as bad as you say it is.

Right now, almost all offmap artillery strikes are limited. You usually get one free use minimum, with extra strikes requiring supply points. That's 1 (one) artillery strike per battle, which averages around 30 minutes in length from my experience. If oyu managed to get a large portion of your forces killed by 1 (one) artillery strike, enough that you just completely lost the game because of the casualties you took in the barrage, evidently you aren't spacing your units out properly.

Also, many of the artillery strikes you mentioned aren't even bad. I use the Earthshaker often, the only time I seem to use it to effect is on repairing tanks or tanks that have engine damage and are really slow (Jagdtiger, etc). The only time infantry blobs get caught in it are when the opponent isn't paying attention (unattended units are a write-off usually anyways) or when they don't react fast enuogh. You have plenty of time to get out of the barrage radius, so there's no real problem.

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.

- Andre Malraux

- Dracula
AmPM Offline
Community Mapper

« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2011, 04:32:48 pm »

In war, all offmaps are either on a predesignated area, or called in by someone on the field.

There is no magic god satellite that drops missiles from orbit after a little red smoke flare.

Spartan_Marine88 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2011, 04:41:12 pm »

In war, all offmaps are either on a predesignated area, or called in by someone on the field.

There is no magic god satellite that drops missiles from orbit after a little red smoke flare.

No, but there are magic god satellites that can be used to designate targets for artillery, and magical things called map coordinates used to call in fire support. Artillery can be quite accurate usually with a over and undershot few rounds to range, then most dropped right on target.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 04:43:58 pm by Spartan_Marine88 » Logged

Yes that's me, the special snowflake.
AmPM Offline
Community Mapper

« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2011, 05:04:15 pm »

In WWII, you had to call in coordinates....aka, YOUR OFFICER CALLING IN A BARRAGE.
Vermillion_Hawk Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2011, 05:16:29 pm »

In WWII, you had to call in coordinates....aka, YOUR OFFICER CALLING IN A BARRAGE.

In COH, the player IS the officer. Keep in mind that it's a GAME and if we were going by historical accuracy, ANY squad leader for most factions would be equipped with a radio to call in support at any time.
Malgoroth Offline
Donator

« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2011, 08:10:47 pm »

In COH, the player IS the officer. Keep in mind that it's a GAME and if we were going by historical accuracy, ANY squad leader for most factions would be equipped with a radio to call in support at any time.

Which would be stupid - hence my 1 'offmap squad' per company idea. Cheap manpower and munis and they can call in the offmaps you unlocked in the doctrine screen the same way an officer calls in a mortar barrage. Once you've used the offmaps, retreat them. Simple yes? And counterable. So no simple win buttons.
8thRifleRegiment Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2011, 06:22:38 am »

yes win buttons keep comming up as the worst thing that ruins the fun most of the time.
Win buttons attained from doctrine Tree, (not unlocks) is ok becuase you work for it, but so called `Free`win buttons are a little stoopid. "ie- Barsupression, Bren Button, assault grenades, incendiary assault"

All stuf people can say "oh just dodge it" yea you can but the button still creates win for your unit without micro whatsoever which totally goes against the purpose of this mod "useing your limited units in your own copmany to gain the most effectiveness by useing superior micro to outlast your oponant, not Pop bar supression and one rifle sqaud>2 Grenadiers instantly.

i propose you pay for win buttons since it seems they are staying in the mod, im not saying pay ALOT just pay, its not like these weapons would lose effectiveness without it

FOR EXAMPLE

Plain x2 BARs- 60 munitions
BARs WITH supression- 90 Muni

Plain Bren x2- 60 munitions
Bren WITH button- 90 muni

Plain G43- 45 munitions
G43 with slow-70 munitions

Plain Fg42s- 80 munitions
FG42 WITH covering fire- 120 muntions

I will never forget the rage we enduced together

Ohh Good, AmPm can pay in Doubloons.
tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2011, 11:33:16 am »

Some mod pls delete this thread.

Nubs that don't want offmaps gather here and talk so much bs one cannot even imagine.

If they did that, they would also have to delete the useless thread about tanks repairing at spawn.........

Geez, while Wind was banned I forgot that he is, in fact, totally insufferable
I'm not going to lie Tig, 9/10 times you open your mouth, I'm overwhelmed with the urge to put my foot in it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc