Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:14:12 am

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[April 25, 2024, 04:28:22 am]

[April 22, 2024, 03:40:53 am]

[April 21, 2024, 12:02:54 pm]

[April 06, 2024, 02:26:25 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:13 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EIR State of Development  (Read 8063 times)
fldash Offline
Founder

« on: August 31, 2007, 02:50:18 pm »

I wanted to update you guys on some of our goals over the coming weeks/months as well as thank each of you for your loyalty to the modification and for your passion regarding the modification, it's gameplay, and it's balance.

Goals...  One of the main things we want to work on is accessibility.  This means adding a chat to the launcher that syncs with with a chat available on the war control panel battle interface.  It also includes new website, new design, easier to use system with lots of context help, user-friendliness, etc...  In addition to this, we'll be working on FAQ's, tutorials, videos, etc... All of this is to make getting started with EIR as easy as possible. 

We are also aware that we really need to separate ourselves from having TeamSpeak be the de-facto way to get games.  It should always be, open the launcher, create a game, or join an existing.  TeamSpeak should be optional.  However, since roflmao is making lots of progress with the Warmap, we could very easily be on our way to having the Warmap dictate the battles available, instead of the players...

We also plan on introducing a rating system much like Relic Online uses.  It may or may not be used to determine your actual rank but will be used to adjust your rewards for games.  Playing against weaker opponents won't be worth as much as playing against stronger ones.

Opposing Fronts integration.  This is a big one and is going to take loads of work.  I had hoped it would be a quick transition, but to be honest, unless I get more of my designers playing the OF beta, it won't be ready for OF launch and could be up to a month after it's release before we are ready to full integrate.  I appreciate the information you guys have gathered so far and you attempt at developing the doctrine trees.  It's amazing.

Another area we need to work on is, of course, game balance, protecting the gameplay, and continuing to refine our systems.  This will be a never-ending process and we appreciate all the feedback you provide on the forums.

Lastly, growing our community is a big hurdle.  I feel that as long as we keep developing, making things better the players will come.  It helps if you recruit for us and it also helps if you walk new players through their setup and first battle to get them started.  Hopefully our new website, tutorials, will make this a lot easier.

Thanks for your support, I know we can be frustrating to deal with at times.  I look forward to continuing development and I hope that we can continue to expand on the audience for Company of Heroes and our modification.

One more thing...  There may be some surprises coming regarding custom music and even official movies/trailers...  I can't release any more information as I'm still in discussions with the other parties.
Wraith547 Offline
15th Panzer Division
EIR Veteran

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007, 03:00:05 pm »

Good work so far, I am really looking forward to seeing whats down the road.

Also I definitely think the chat function will be a godsend for bringing in new players. Obviously it makes it easier, but if my friends are any indication it takes out the "nerd/geek/loser" association that alot of people have with using VOIP.

I have a couple of people I know would get involved, but are afraid of a social stigma that still revolves around video games. The love gaming, but would be embarrassed to be caught dead on something like teamspeak. But social taboos are a whole other can of worms.

Good luck with all of this stuff, I'll be around to pop out a map every now and then, and perhaps another guide at some point.
salan
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 03:45:40 pm »

Oo fun official movies, thats what you really need.. THe stuff i can do is just fan fun art in the end.   Don't have the education or background to do any of the amazing stuff Sad

on that note i am working on a new replay for unknowns new map right now.. Freaking intense fight, i have no clue how i only killed 53 units, seemed like hundreds ;(
Compact Flash Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007, 06:44:24 am »

on that note i am working on a new replay for unknowns new map right now.. Freaking intense fight, i have no clue how i only killed 53 units, seemed like hundreds ;(

Lol thats always the way.

And please don't force us to play games based on the warmap. I know it sounds good in theory but in pracice it would just be a pain in the arse for everyone...
Apex Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2007, 07:09:57 am »

Hmmm, about the players playing on the warmap. Right now every Player controls a battalion. How about putting generals in charge of divisions that contain several battalions. Then those Divisions get assigned to a certain sector area. And then the outcomes of the players battles will be displayed on the sector areas. Players will come and go and play as they like, just the outcome of their battles will be shown on gained/lost sectors in that area, no matter about where their oppononents are active. 
Compact Flash Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2007, 07:48:57 am »

If I've understood right that sounds like a good idea.
socompointman Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 08:17:36 pm »

i have no idea what im doing this is hard as hell?HuhHuhHuhHuh
Marine436 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 08:21:13 pm »

sc, feel free to pm me, or contact me on AIm (marine4377) or xfire (marine436) And ill help you get setup

after the 'semi' hard intial setup its all a breeze

NSGReaper2 Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2007, 09:27:59 pm »

You're updating the launcher? I guess my more feature-full launcher project is a bit pointless then... the only things its going to add are chat and maplists (tells each player what maps they have in common).  Ah well, its a fun side project I guess. Even if I never make it talk to your site.
fldash Offline
Founder

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 09:37:13 pm »

NGS: What language are you coding that in? 
NSGReaper2 Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2007, 10:42:06 pm »

The client I'm just putting together using C#, although I am under pressure from one of my friends to make sure it works in mono (open source/multiplatform implementation of C#).  I was also going to write my own server side stuff in PHP since i didn't want to reverse engineer your web request stuff, its a little too binary for my tastes Tongue.

At the moment i have it loading the list of sga files in the scenarios folder in My Docs, I have a few ideas about how to pull the map names out but i've decided that can be a secondary priority.
fldash Offline
Founder

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2007, 07:44:48 am »

Perhaps send a PM to Phil if you want.  He's the launcher GURU.  He may be able to help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc