Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 21, 2024, 09:34:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Surviving a tank bailout.  (Read 6659 times)
Heartmann Offline
Officer of Kindness

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2011, 03:12:34 am »

Rifle needs sign "Made in PRC"  Grin Grin  Tongue

In the basement getting drunk.
It's not really creepy until I show up.............

- I've heard of being an animal in bed but...

- The phallic principle of the Navy Wink
TheVolskinator Offline
Administrator / Lead Developer

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2011, 04:51:41 am »

The M4 Sherman and VC Firefly had excelent exhaust systems and fairly reliable powerplants for medium tanks of the day. It was in fact the Cromwell and later the Comet tank deseigns that had an inherent exhaust problem. The reason that the Sherman was labled as a burner was because the engine and other burning components were close to the tank's surface, that is to say, if it caught fire, you'd SEE it right away, wheras other tanks would take some time to show the effects of whatever tank shot hit them. The Sherman's gasoline powerplant didn't burn any more furiously then a deisil one  if struck, and this should be noted. That crap was played up by the movie 'Patton', and is complete and utter nonsense. The VC Firefly was also much less prone to catching fire if struck in the turret, as because of the needed cutout and large counterweight and the fact the 17lbr cannon was turned 90* on its side made for little ammunition space; crews carried anywhere from 18 to 28 rounds at most (HE and AP in all forms).

Quote from: tank130
I want to ensure we have a 100% decision on the process before we do the wipe.
If not, then I wipe, then someone gets something they shouldn't, then it gets abused, then the shit hits the fan and then I ban shab.

Getting EiR:R Released on Steam

Forum Rules & Guidelines
Sachaztan Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2011, 06:34:19 am »

The M4 Sherman and VC Firefly had excelent exhaust systems and fairly reliable powerplants for medium tanks of the day. It was in fact the Cromwell and later the Comet tank deseigns that had an inherent exhaust problem. The reason that the Sherman was labled as a burner was because the engine and other burning components were close to the tank's surface, that is to say, if it caught fire, you'd SEE it right away, wheras other tanks would take some time to show the effects of whatever tank shot hit them. The Sherman's gasoline powerplant didn't burn any more furiously then a deisil one  if struck, and this should be noted. That crap was played up by the movie 'Patton', and is complete and utter nonsense. The VC Firefly was also much less prone to catching fire if struck in the turret, as because of the needed cutout and large counterweight and the fact the 17lbr cannon was turned 90* on its side made for little ammunition space; crews carried anywhere from 18 to 28 rounds at most (HE and AP in all forms).

I haven't even seen that film, I got my info from books interviewing WW2 German and Soviet veterans.

Demon posession is real and it's not funny, it's the creepiest thing you will ever experience.

I would also like to add I watch fox news everyday all day and will continue to watch it while being proud of that fact. I'm sure you enjoy your communist news network just as much.
RoyalHants Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2011, 08:13:45 am »

Exactly, what volskinator said.

This thread is about surviving a tank bailout Wink
Your just jealous about the challenger  Roll Eyes

Yeah calbanes, I mean - some people like smokaz are still yet to win a single game, even though they've been around here for years.

Heartmann Offline
Officer of Kindness

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2011, 01:02:34 pm »

WEll i got some of mine from my book on Tanks, and others from the History Channel ^^ Which is all good stuff
TheVolskinator Offline

« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2011, 01:53:15 pm »

Half of what the History Channel says is bullshit. Take the 'SHOOTOUT' series, they rely soley on obviously overplayed claims by the winners (which, btw, are almost always the 'good guy' Americans :|). Dogfights is no different; 'Long Odds: Swede Vetjissa'... yeah, an SBD-2 wipes out three A6M-3s within 11 minutes? Bullshit.
Spartan_Marine88 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2011, 03:29:27 pm »

Half of what the History Channel says is bullshit. Take the 'SHOOTOUT' series, they rely soley on obviously overplayed claims by the winners (which, btw, are almost always the 'good guy' Americans :|). Dogfights is no different; 'Long Odds: Swede Vetjissa'... yeah, an SBD-2 wipes out three A6M-3s within 11 minutes? Bullshit.

Yes its bullshit, but bullshit from the US war department and not from the History Channel. 1 the kills were not confirmed, 2 his CO upgraded them to kills later.

Its the same thing as the Russians marking down every P2 they killed as a King Tiger or a Elephant kill because they were afraid they would be shot for not doing enough, sooner or later we may actually believe it for truth.

The History Channel can be very informative, you just gotta double check its claims and weed out the very strong US bias
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 03:31:09 pm by Spartan_Marine88 » Logged

Yes that's me, the special snowflake.
brn4meplz Offline
Misinformation Officer

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2011, 04:26:17 pm »

Don't put stock in any of the shows(the A6M is currently all around the best MBT in the world).

That Deadliest Warrior no is no different. They compared the SVD Dragunov to the M24. These weapons fill completely different battlefield requirements while still falling into the category of Sniper weapons. (one is a Long Range Sniper Weapon[LRSW] and the other is a Mid range weapon[essentially for a section marksman]) Then they had the audacity to not even include the fact that the SVD is a semi automatic 10 shot rifle and the M24 is a 5 round bolt action.

He thinks Tactics is a breath mint

Wow I think that was the nicest thing brn ever posted!  Tongue

the pussy of a prostitute is not tight enough for destroy a condom Wink
Spartan_Marine88 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2011, 05:20:43 pm »

That Deadliest Warrior no is no different.

There was nothing scientific in the Deadliest Warrior, the people on the show had no clue what they are doing. Judging a sword on two different pieces of meat weighing differently and moving at different velocities then judging which is better (or using 2 completly different tests) is just foolish.

Then again, it is a channel for people who need to have the show "how to get an easy happy ending at a massage parlor" just so they can get laid
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 05:23:08 pm by Spartan_Marine88 » Logged
TheVolskinator Offline

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2011, 07:42:42 pm »

brn, the A6M was the numerical nomanclature for the Mitsubishi Zero during WWII. Came in the older A6M-3 and A6M-5 models.

And for that matter, the SBD-2 Douglas was a very famous American naval dive-bomber during the early and mid stages of WW2, thanks to the destinctive 'swiss cheese' dive brakes and large-area wings. Dunno where you got tanks from Tongue.

EDIT: The episode I mentioned was of Swede Vejtasa (misspelled his name in my first post), who claims to have shot down three (expertly flown, by way of fatality records) A6Ms in his SBD-2 -- thats 6 4.62mm MGs and 6 20mm cannons versus 2 .50 cals and a dual-mounted pintle .30 cal arrangement. He claims to have beaten them in a turning fight--considering the fact that the SBD was a dive bomber, thats just crap. The rear gunner was blacked out thanks to him pulling 9Gs, which makes shooting down three expert Japanese pilots even more of a tall tail. Even famous F4F-4 Wildcat ace James Swett never claimed to do something THAT outrageous. Here's the link to part 1 of 2 of that episode with Swede:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEnDjwXnj3Y&feature=related

Heres the link to that Wildcat ace : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EadMxLadg18&feature=related
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 07:58:40 pm by TheVolskinator » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc