Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 06, 2024, 02:38:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[Yesterday at 07:29:20 am]

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Super Congress  (Read 17913 times)
Groundfire Offline
EIRR community manager
EIR Veteran

« on: August 05, 2011, 07:56:41 am »

I wanted to open up a discussion on this as I find it quite surreal and disturbing. This is mostly for US citizens but i guess feel free to chime in.

To provide some premise and context for people who have not looked in on this yet, I will try to explain a bit. (from my perspective but it is largely the opinion based from news reports so far)

Context:

As a part of the recent debt ceiling legislation to raise the US public debt limit up another 2.something Trillion dollars, there was a provision in the legislation to impart the power of creating spending plans, cuts and monetary authority to a committee of 12 Congressmen and the President.

This committee has been dubbed "The Super Congress"

From what I understand, the Super Congress, hence forth, will be in charge of all the money allocations to the U.S. government. What happens is that this (most likely unelected and handpicked) group of 12 individuals creates a budget of some kind, then sends it off to the rest of the body of congress for approval for a simple "Yes/No" vote. There will be no discussion on the subject, no opportunity for amendments, no phillibustering, just a yes or no vote.

If the rest of the Congress do not select "yes" then what happens is that it triggers an automatic 50/50 split to cut Defense and Social Programs. The cuts will be arbitrary and random (yeah right...) to put Bi-partisan pressure on Congress to reach an agreement on spending cuts. (which is whatever the S.C. wants the cuts to be. It is not Bi-partisan when 12 people only have a say on the subject)

My Problem:

I am not all together against governmental committees as they do sometimes purpose a laser focus to a problem that some Congressmen are not equipped to deal with. However, the Super Congress is infact a misnomer, it might as well be called "Congress on Steroids," and there is no indication that these hand picked 12 men (who will ultimately direct the course of the country) will be any less bought-off, corrupted, subject to threats/bullying by corporate interests, than the 400 odd other Congressmen that pretty much just voted their way out of their responsibility to making and allocating the budget of the U.S., a duty granted solely to them by the constitution of the United States.

This super congress is just an extension of the beuracracy in Washington. It consolidates a lot power into 12 elected officials who are essentially more "important" and of a now higher rank than all other elected congressmen. If the other Congressmen do not accept the Super Congress's legislation at face value (never mind reading the documents, they never do) then everything gets cut in some kind of preditory slash and burn austerity triggers.

It is governance by Threat, with a "smiley face name" (much like the Patriot Act) to hide to the public how absolutely ludicris and tyranical it is to consolidate so much power in so few hands.

The smoke and mirrors of this debt ceiling charade has allowed a potentially devastating monster to slip past under the radar. Not that we dont have one already, but this is how Oligarchies make themselves aware to the public and no one has said a damn word when we should all be in an uproar... It might as well be called Fascisim.

Thats all i have to say. Discuss.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 08:02:58 am by Groundfire » Logged

Latest Shoutcast:
EIRR Groundcast 11 "The Super Dev Showdown!!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOGm79rXWhU (full version)

tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 08:03:14 am »

Oligarchies - I learned a new word today

Geez, while Wind was banned I forgot that he is, in fact, totally insufferable
I'm not going to lie Tig, 9/10 times you open your mouth, I'm overwhelmed with the urge to put my foot in it.
PonySlaystation Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 08:08:20 am »

Oligarchies - I learned a new word today

What the?? aren't you american?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 08:10:19 am by PonySlaystation » Logged

Sharks are not monsters Henley, they are cute, cuddly and misunderstood. They love humans. sometimes they love TOO much. They love people so much that sometimes their kisses separate people into two flailing pieces which are consumed by other sharks in a frenzy of peace and joy.
Heartmann Offline
Officer of Kindness

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 08:12:55 am »

It might as well be called Fascisim.

you mean the american goverment over the last 5-6 decades has not been a war mongering facist bully, only serving there own agengda?

In the basement getting drunk.
It's not really creepy until I show up.............

- I've heard of being an animal in bed but...

- The phallic principle of the Navy Wink
nugnugx Offline
Donator

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 08:18:22 am »

This is why it would be better if Hitler won WW2. We would be flying to Mars on uber mechs today.

Groundfire Offline
EIRR community manager
EIR Veteran

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 08:21:05 am »

you mean the american goverment over the last 5-6 decades has not been a war mongering facist bully, only serving there own agengda?

I dont know why you would have asked that of me, I made it very clear that this has been the case, but they are only now, within the last 5-10 years have been out in our faces, broadcasting it publicly and your average joe in the US does not care.

Not that we dont have one already, but this is how Oligarchies make themselves aware to the public and no one has said a damn word when we should all be in an uproar... It might as well be called Fascisim.

Well, they will soon care when we get our Greece scenario and they are starving in the streets.
TheIcelandicManiac Offline
Resident forum troll. Fucked unkn0wns mom

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 08:23:25 am »

well this is disturbing,  so much for the power to the people for the people eh?

Quote from: Grundwaffe
Soon™
gj icelandic i am proud of u  Smiley
Sometimes its like PQ doesnt carrot all.

Work Harder
BigDick
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 08:36:02 am »

thats how the usual democracy works just taken to a new abstraction level since direct democracy is impossible in a huge group of individuals
its a two level representative democracy that may get out proposals more quick in trade of increased potential failure to be really representative
the remaining part of congress is similar to the voter of first level (us voting qualified elects his government somehow) with the difference that they work as control authority

and that they are probably all on billing list of some jews/jewish companies is more than just "possible"

deal with it
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 08:41:07 am by BigDick » Logged
Katusha Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 09:00:51 am »

and that they are probably all on billing list of some jews/jewish companies is more than just "possible"

deal with it

Are you suggesting Hitler be resurrected?

I'm a bit young so I haven't really been following the whole political mess yet, but from your summary, the future doesn't seem too bright. Problem is, most people in the US don't have the brains (although we probably have the most educated of any country) nor do they have the time (everyone is under pressure etc) to be making these kinds of conclusions for themselves. Not even talking about time to do something about it.
Mysthalin Offline
Tired King of Stats

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 09:05:15 am »

Katusha's american? Wat?

TheIcelandicManiac Offline
Resident forum troll. Fucked unkn0wns mom

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 09:06:33 am »

Katusha's american? Wat?
BigDick
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011, 09:08:42 am »

Are you suggesting Hitler be resurrected?

w00t? why is everyone misinterpreting my words?
tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2011, 09:09:49 am »

What the?? aren't you american?

NO, I am Canadian.

The USA is the brother we don't like to admit we have....
Mysthalin Offline
Tired King of Stats

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2011, 09:10:30 am »

No, it's the country that wears Canada like a hat.
Mysthalin Offline
Tired King of Stats

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2011, 09:10:54 am »

And Florida is the little thing the USA is compensating for.
Jodomar Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2011, 09:30:08 am »

I welcome the chaos for I has gunz and I like anarchy!
PonySlaystation Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2011, 09:32:40 am »

NO, I am Canadian.

The USA is the brother we don't like to admit we have....

My point is that if English is your first language you should know that word.
tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2011, 10:00:02 am »

My new point is, you do not have to have a great education to be successful......LOL
Vermillion_Hawk Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2011, 10:06:07 am »

Well, it's a good thing I'm Canadian. I don't have to deal with these fascist politics, I just have to hear about them.

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.

- Andre Malraux

- Dracula
DarkSoldierX Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2011, 10:29:25 am »

Still went offtopic before 1st page lol.

I have a solution for this problem,

AK47.........

FOR EVERYONE!

ok seriously lol that would be pretty bad actually.

USA has been fucked for quite a while now.

Oh and just to let you know you people in other countries your getting fucked too.

two words
atgs and fireflies
Looks who's butthurt
*waiting* 4 DarkSoldierNoobiX pops up to prove how much shit the T17 is penetrating KTs back and Jagd front and how much better the ac/puma is penetrating m10 rear  Cool Cool Cool
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc