Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:55:36 am

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[March 22, 2024, 01:44:39 am]

[March 10, 2024, 03:58:45 pm]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:13 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]

[December 14, 2022, 12:10:06 am]

[September 22, 2022, 06:57:30 am]
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help me Build a map!  (Read 9100 times)
Wolfiefang Offline
EIR Regular

« on: March 11, 2007, 12:28:49 am »

Ok so I lurk a lot and I barely post... BUT it has it benefits.
I'm making two maps. One with help of another, that may or may not fit in, but one alone for this.
I decided, since I'm having trouble anyways, to ask for YOUR help! (hopefully someone will read this)
Ok the map I'm working on has a farm as the main landmark. Now I need your help in two main areas. One is in the placement of the farm and the other is in how I should fill up the surroundings.
This can be just be ideas or if you're a map maker and want to tell me specifics.
*edit* Trenches are in! Thank you know who for the tip.
Anyways... I'm rambling, but hopefully I'll have to two maps for us.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 02:21:52 pm by Wolfiefang » Logged
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 02:26:52 am »

Hey there!

Great to hear you're working on some maps, can't wait to see Smiley.

Now anyway, for trenches, ditches, rivers, etc etc.
Go to heightmaps, set strenght to something like 20, set height to something like 10.
You will probably also need to adjust the width (ctrl + drag left mouse button to expand or shrink the areamarker.) Then put it on substractive mode and test it out on the landscape, if the hole is wide and deep enough for the purpose you want to use it for it's time to create the action trench.
(If not do ctrl + z and adjust the modifiers and try again.)

Do sample on the hole you made, make sure you target it right, sample will clone the hole's settings.
Now just left click and drag on the map on the locations you want the trenches.

Then you got yourself the basic heightmap for trenches, all you need to do then is go under objects and add trenchwalls, sandbags, whatever. Under splats you will also find trench wooden/concrete floors.

Then add some more detailing, splats, etc and you're done! Smiley
Wolfiefang Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 02:20:47 pm »

Fantastic. I should have that down in time. So I guess trenches are in! Still need help on the rest guys.... I'm focusing most my creative attention on the map I'm co-building. It'll be a bridge one, but I don't know if it'll work for this.
anways.. Focus!!! I need to make the outside of my farm more then just grass!!!
... just read my first post
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 02:59:42 pm »

Just keep in mind not to overdo the same things in one map.

Trenches can be a nice extra but since it's WW2, a huge amount of them won't do any good.
(Same for other objects, try to be creative with the objects, combinations, splats and transparancy, etc.)

I'm sure you'll work it out Wink !
Wolfiefang Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007, 11:53:38 pm »

-_- well since it's rural it's kinda bland... I'm trying to get ideas from people... they aren't helping :0(
Raddish Offline
The one who wasnt what was
EIR Veteran

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 04:24:04 am »

it is possible to make a rural map that is not bland, it just takes alot of time and work to make it look good.

Harry Palms Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 05:29:01 pm »

Loads and loads and loads of little things like shrubberies (NI!), little streams, trees, perhaps the beginning of a forest in one end, big soft rolling hills, footpaths, hedgerows, throw in some animals etc. but do go bananas on istockphoto.com and get as much reference material as possible. reference, reference, reference.

Did I mention you should get alot of reference material?  Smiley
Wolfiefang Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2007, 06:25:02 pm »

OUH! I like the idea of the begining of a forest. stream too.
I wonder if there's a way to make a bush that gives you cover but you can't move through it. Yah know, a bush that acts like a wall... excuse of it's thorny or something... See if I can figure a way to do that.
Hmm.. I wonder to what that footpath leads to..
acker Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2007, 06:33:16 pm »

Or you could make mildly hilly countryside, with a house here and there, with a bit of shrubbery and a couple of wheatfields.
Wolfiefang Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2007, 06:50:11 pm »

I don't want there to be any big buildings minus the farmhouse... so houses might not work out well. Maybe a shed? the foothpath could lead to a shed.
I'm weary of wheatfields. I saw someone put one in their map.. and I didn't see it as anything good...
Hmmm, Maybe I should make alittle mspaint of how things are looking in my head. I'll screenshot my progress as well I guess.

OUH! Send me references guys! That's the best way to get what you want in my map.

I have a little question to those who know about maping. I've noticed on custom maps everywhere that if you make some roads, the sidealk area (iow, the area right next to the road) Is marked as minor cover (yellow) even if there is nothing there. Is there a way to fic this and everyone doesn't know this? or is this a problem? I haven't tested my map yet to see that (don't really have roads yet) but the bridge map will have that problem big time.
acker Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2007, 07:24:28 pm »

There's a pretty good arial picture of tanks driving across a countryside, trying to flank a Flak88 (yes, a black and white WWII picture). I'll try to find it by tomorrow (the book is at school).

*edit*; nvm. I might not be able to find it. Our school did a lot of remodeling.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 09:31:43 pm by acker » Logged
Harry Palms Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2007, 02:29:45 am »

New topic up for sharing reference material.

I've attached 37 images in two zip files. These should get you going. At least now you know what the French country side looks like IRL  Cool
Wolfiefang Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2007, 03:42:59 pm »

very very useful indeed. I wish I had that B&W from acker.
Acker i will give you a DOZEN cookies if you find that picture.
So far so good, I'm working on the farm are right now, but the ideas for the flank is looking good.
It's looking like i'm gonna make the farm a very nice defensive position, but a deathtrap on it's own. We'll see how that goes.
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2007, 03:48:57 pm »

For additional input, post some WiP screenshots (ctrl F3 ingame to take screenshots and you can host them for free with photobucket for instance). Then some of the mappers here can really give you tips on how to improve the overall look of your map Smiley.
acker Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2007, 04:17:01 pm »

I'll try to find again tomorrow.

The title of the books:

The Air War in Europe (a few godo photos)

Across the Rhine (the one with the Flak88 and the tanks)

They are made by Time Life.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc