Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 07, 2024, 12:30:08 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[October 05, 2024, 07:29:20 am]

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HOMM 6 demo  (Read 4693 times)
Poppi Offline
EIR Veteran

« on: August 20, 2011, 02:55:12 pm »

Seems the demo for Might & Magic Heroes 6 is out.
Havent installed it but if your a fan of the series.
spinn72 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 05:41:59 pm »

Love the series!
They started to lose it at 5.. 3 is my favourite followed by 2. Though this is probably due to the Might and Magic series more than anything  Grin.

Downloading the demo now, will post thoughts later!
CrazyWR Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 08:46:21 pm »

nice, I'll check it out.  I agree with Spinn's sentiments...still upset I lost my copy of HOMM3 complete.

1. New tactics? it's like JAWS, first one in the water dies

RCA-land where shells fall like raindrops and the Captain is an invincible god
spinn72 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 09:34:21 pm »

nice, I'll check it out.  I agree with Spinn's sentiments...still upset I lost my copy of HOMM3 complete.

Duuude.. Got to get that back! Go buy an online copy or something.. In The Wake of Gods is a nice mod that adds some challenge if you're interested for H3.
CrazyWR Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 10:18:33 pm »

Yea I used to play WoG all the time.  I'll probably pick it up sometime this week.   I've been contemplating buying it for a couple weeks now.
Poppi Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 11:51:55 pm »

Love the series!
They started to lose it at 5.. 3 is my favourite followed by 2. Though this is probably due to the Might and Magic series more than anything  Grin.

Downloading the demo now, will post thoughts later!

I REALLY only played HOMM1 and HOMM 5.

Recently i did try HOMM 3 and HOMM 2.
I was turned off by HOMM 3 motion capture like graphics. Damn late 90s games took a bad turn from original 2d to either horrific polygon 3d games or real life pictures. Like you see in the later Might & Magic series.

So i played HOMM 1,2,3,5, and now 6. Tell you the truth there isnt a big difference. Like going from Diablo 1 to 2. Basically 95% the same shit.

Why do HOMM fans like HOMM3 so much?

This demo ended up being meh.
Only really cool thing about HOMM6 is the conflux option. Seems neat.
spinn72 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 02:03:40 am »

HOMM 3 had challenging campaigns and a difficulty that was perfect, as well as a damn fine sense of balance. Impossible difficulty makes you stress the importance of EVERY SINGLE DAY. Build orders are more important, all visitable locations aren't stupidly hard or completely useless like HOMM5.

HOMM5 was a monstrocity to the series. Ubisoft took a good game and stabbed it several times, turning it into a generic system (Much like the Disciples series with Disciples 3, although the graphics look nifty). The combat system/spells in HOMM3 are what make the combat -- completely unique at every turn. You could replay a close fight 50 times and the chance of victory would be 50-50 every time, depending on when you use spells and who you use them on. There are also a large number of towns, all which have overall specialties and weaknesses (eg. Fortress have the best t3 units and have a LARGE defensive bonus, but suffer from ranged attacks, Stronghold have some of the best units + massive offensive bonuses, but only get lv3 spells). The only matchup that is imba is Necropolis vs Conflux, as Vampire Lords (best t4) can't suck life from elementals and Necro's also suffer from lack of magic defense.

I've been playing HOMM3 for 8 years now and I'm not bored of it yet. There's still a strong community at celestial heavens which swears by it more than any other in the series. But to be honest, the highlight of the Might and Magic franchise comes from Might and Magic 6. This is probably the best RPG i've ever played, with maybe a slight allowance for Baldurs Gate 2. The graphics are terrible by todays standards, but if you want a game that is rich, deep, challenging and has amazing loot with a well rounded storyline (which coincides with the events of HOMM3 campaigns) then it's definitely worth a try. Most websites will have it rated in the top 5 RPG's.

Unfortunately, it uses sprites which you don't seem to like all that much Grin.

And I disagree with sating HOMM1-5 were the same. 3&4 are almost entirely different games in terms of both combat and map exploration. 5 is a dumbed down version of 2 and is incredibly slow and unbalanced.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 02:05:18 am by spinn72 » Logged
CrazyWR Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 05:54:21 am »

Personally I didn't like Homm4, although to be fair I didn't give it a ton of time.  3 was definitely the peak.  And as it seems I can only play the Homm6 beta by preordering, I'm going to wait a bit to hear some feedback before jumping in, because from what I can find online so far, it seems like a bit of a rehash of 5 so far.
PonySlaystation Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 08:47:24 am »

Personally I didn't like Homm4, although to be fair I didn't give it a ton of time.  3 was definitely the peak.  And as it seems I can only play the Homm6 beta by preordering, I'm going to wait a bit to hear some feedback before jumping in, because from what I can find online so far, it seems like a bit of a rehash of 5 so far.

Preorder the game on steam > get the beta > cancel the preorder = win.

Sharks are not monsters Henley, they are cute, cuddly and misunderstood. They love humans. sometimes they love TOO much. They love people so much that sometimes their kisses separate people into two flailing pieces which are consumed by other sharks in a frenzy of peace and joy.
SaintPauli Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 10:12:21 am »

HoMM3 was the best hands down, but you should really try out Age of Wonders 2. IMHO that is even better. You can get it on Steam for 9$ (Remember to download the unofficial patches).

The demo for HoMM6 can be found on filemplanet (same shitty art direction as HoMM 5 and unfortunately it crashes every 15min):
http://www.fileplanet.com/221898/download/Might-&-Magic-Heroes-VI-Demo
Poppi Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2011, 10:46:41 am »

HoMM3 was the best hands down, but you should really try out Age of Wonders 2. IMHO that is even better. You can get it on Steam for 9$ (Remember to download the unofficial patches).

The demo for HoMM6 can be found on filemplanet (same shitty art direction as HoMM 5 and unfortunately it crashes every 15min):
http://www.fileplanet.com/221898/download/Might-&-Magic-Heroes-VI-Demo

ya Age of Wonders. Perhaps the only competitor against Master of Magic. In fact I think AOW2 beats MoM in several departments. Mostly through democracy and RPG story line found in the maps, and combat i think is wayy more fun and strategic. Hidden side quests and cities really add a whole new level.
Turn Based RPG fans NEEEED to try Age of Wonders 2 Shadow Magic.

Played HOMM6 demo, and some thoughts.

I think 90% of the skill tree is the same for every hero.
Town building screen..... WTF is that crap?
No adjustable camera? (I blame the HOMM3 fans for wanting more 2d perspective)
Less rare resources? Less tactics for building different factions i guess.

I want to try M&M6, really high ratings. But as i said that those realistic sprites and profile pics are nasty. instant turn off. Games like Lands of Lore. GORGEOUS 2d drawings. Shame the series continue  that way.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc