Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 24, 2024, 10:37:22 am

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Airborne LMG  (Read 9453 times)
aeroblade56 Offline
Development

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2012, 09:19:11 pm »

Realistically its called suppress and advance.

You are welcome to your opinion.

You are also welcome to be wrong.
nikomas Offline
Shameless Perv

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2012, 11:28:25 pm »

Realistically its called suppress and advance.
You know how this works in real life?

To my knowledge, it works like this, hell, I'm even going to simpify it so you can visualize it in EIR easilly.

So, you have two grenadier fire teams, each team has 1 soldier armed with an LMG and 3 men supporting him making for two teams of soldiers with two lmg's, 1lmg per fireteam.

What they will do is one fireteam 1 will lay down supressive fire. When team 1 has supressed the enemy (or got their attention) fireteam 2 will move/advance/retreat.

When fireteam 2 has covered some ground they will now set up and start to provide supressive fire for Fireteam 1, allowing them to move in turn.

This is how this manouver works, it has nothing to do with firing on the move, it is about providing cover for others to allow them to move without getting shot to pieces. This is a "Covered Advance" Unless I'm mistaken,

It's certainly not "Run towards the enemy and hope your random bullets keep them down"

« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 11:32:42 pm by nikomas » Logged

"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing—after they've tried everything else."

Quote from: PonySlaystation
The officer is considerably better than a riflemen squad at carrying weapons. Officers have good accuracy so they will hit most targets.
AmPM Offline
Community Mapper

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2012, 11:34:34 pm »

Ideally one element will lay down suppressive fire for another element to safely flank the enemy. Then you have them in a crossfire.

nikomas Offline
Shameless Perv

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2012, 11:43:05 pm »

Ah, I think I found it, thats wat it's called

Bounding Overwatch > Fire and Movement

Bounding overwatch, also known as leapfrogging or simply bounding, is the military tactic of alternating movement of coordinated units to allow, if necessary, suppressive fire in support of offensive forward movement or defensive disengagement.

As members of a unit (element to platoon level) take an overwatch posture, other members advance to cover; these two groups continually switch roles as they close with the enemy. This process may be done by "leapfrogging" by fireteams, but is usually done within fireteams along a squad/platoon battle line to simulate an overwhelming movement towards the enemy and make it more difficult for the enemy to distinguish specific targets.

This military tactic takes continuous training and focused coordination to be effectively practiced on the modern battlefield. It was first developed in World War II, when suppressing fire became possible — in other words, when man-portable automatic weapons began to come into general issue.

Example: A squad (2 fireteams) in an urban combat zone must advance to a building 100 feet away, crossing an intersection they believe might be in enemy rifle sights from elevated buildings. If the team simply made a run-for-it, they expose themselves to potential enemy fire without protection.

This is where bounding overwatch comes into play.

One fireteam takes an overwatch position while the other team bounds (a bound is a 3-5 second rush) to a new covered position. This way there is always an overwatch team that can react instantaneously to enemy fire (the bounding team would have to stop, take cover, locate the enemy, and aim before they could return fire). Once the covered position is reached by the bounding team, they now assume overwatch positions while the other team then becomes the bounding team.

By using Bounding Overwatch, this unit is able to effectively move through a hostile urban street and intersection, without unnecessarily exposing themselves to enemy fire.

If enemy contact is made, the overwatch team opens fire and the unit takes up a process called Fire and Maneuver which is very similar to Bounding Overwatch in that teams alternate firing and maneuvering. During fire and maneuver, the commander takes more direct control of team movements and positions.

And then when contact is made it goes into...

Fire and movement can be performed by units of whatever size appropriate: by as few as two soldiers up to companies or larger. It works when a military unit suppresses the enemy with an appropriate level of fire, while at the same time, another military unit advances. After a short time, the advancing unit will halt and begin suppressing, allowing the previously suppressing unit to advance to a new position and begin the cycle again. Enemy suppression can also be achieved with direct and/or indirect fire from combat support units. Artillery, mortars and armor are a few examples of combat support units often used in fire and movement.

In the United States Military, a basic fire and movement tactic is called overwatch. There also exists several variations of overwatch, generally adding further description to more accurately describe the specific maneuver.

A unit fires upon an enemy to distract or suppress them allowing another unit to assault, flank or encircle the enemy. The enemy will be pinned down and can not react, and will be forced to take cover until the flanking unit engages them.
[edit] Suppression

Heavy and continuous suppression fire keeps an opponent suppressed and therefore limits the overall firepower of a unit (if a platoon has 30 soldiers, but only 15 are shooting back because the other 15 are being suppressed, that unit's firepower has been reduced by 50%). The fire cuts down on an enemy's intelligence in that they are not able to assess the situation clearly.
[edit] Advance

While a base of fire is set up, the second unit will advance to cover in front, in the process setting up a new base of fire at this point. After a new base of fire has been set up, the first unit will advance, under cover of the new fire base, to a new position and set up another base of fire.
[edit] Assault

These actions are repeated until the units have closed upon the enemy position. At this point a unit will close in on the enemy and destroy them, often by throwing grenades, close-quarters battle techniques, and hand-to-hand combat.

From wikipedia... I knew watching all of them war documentaries would be useful one day!

Fuck man, now I just wish tactics like this were actually useful in videogames... Sad
NightRain Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2012, 12:25:55 am »

Ah, I think I found it, thats wat it's called

Bounding Overwatch > Fire and Movement

And then when contact is made it goes into...

From wikipedia... I knew watching all of them war documentaries would be useful one day!

Fuck man, now I just wish tactics like this were actually useful in videogames... Sad

Brothers in Arms

Because a forum post should be like a woman's skirt. Long enough to cover the subject material, but short enough to keep things interesting.
EliteGren Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2012, 12:40:10 am »

aero has a point though, if we already have brens firing on the move (as a T4 anyway) then why not the LMGs?

Either way I've never been a fan of LMG on airborne since it just does not make any sense to me. I proposed moving infantry grease guns over to AB and the LMG to infantry.

i prefer to no u
Don't knock it til uve tried it bitchface, this isn't anything like salads version. Besides u said a semois conversion would never work, now look that's the most played map, ohgodwhy.jpg r u map lead
nikomas Offline
Shameless Perv

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2012, 12:49:26 am »

Or... We could remove that shit, that works to...

Or sure, all LMG's can fire on the run but the accuarcy should be multiplied by 0.05, alternativly the squad speed should be reduced to fast walk with a 0.5 multiplier to the LMG.

Either way you can fire it on the move, but it both realistically and balanced to the shit it should be.

Brothers in arms... that series was great...
Oh, there were also... whats that game called, twas for original xbox...
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 12:57:55 am by nikomas » Logged
Spartan_Marine88 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2012, 12:52:06 am »

Either way I've never been a fan of LMG on airborne since it just does not make any sense to me. I proposed moving infantry grease guns over to AB and the LMG to infantry.

Fuck that im not having infantry that fires-up into my KCH and trolling all over them with grease guns

Yes that's me, the special snowflake.
aeroblade56 Offline
Development

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2012, 12:56:28 am »

Fuck that im not having infantry that fires-up into my KCH and trolling all over them with grease guns

Shouldnt matter i mean AB when they stop moving there armor isnt in affect so in a sense they are pretty fragile? that being said ive seen GG do some nasty stuff to KCH.

nikomas Offline
Shameless Perv

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2012, 01:20:25 am »

Fuck it, new doctrine unlock

Bounding Overwatch

LMG's give a moderate accaurcy penalty against moving targets on the squad that it is fired upon.

This is balanced and also made interesting by the fact that alone it does nothing, it does not make the target worse at shooting back because squads have to be stationary to fire LMG's. It does however help covering squads advance.

Or hell, you could make this a standard feature for LMG's, give them a certain role.

It's both interesting and promotes tactical movement... something CoH reduced to reactionary micro.
aeroblade56 Offline
Development

« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2012, 04:32:39 am »

Fuck it, new doctrine unlock

Bounding Overwatch

LMG's give a moderate accaurcy penalty against moving targets on the squad that it is fired upon.

This is balanced and also made interesting by the fact that alone it does nothing, it does not make the target worse at shooting back because squads have to be stationary to fire LMG's. It does however help covering squads advance.

Or hell, you could make this a standard feature for LMG's, give them a certain role.

It's both interesting and promotes tactical movement... something CoH reduced to reactionary micro.

+1
smurfORnot Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2012, 04:37:37 am »

how about giving it fire 'on the move' as unlock but also on cooldown,so you cant use it all the time?
Poppi Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2012, 05:24:21 am »

my problem isnt the fire and movement at the sametime. It seems the devs put the lmgs on AB so as a counter weight to OP. But more like when I am not moving the LMG or supposedly 2 LMGs arent really doing shit.

I set my guys somewhere to attack and between the time it takes to setup, fire for like 2 secs, reload, and repeat it didnt do shit damage. why not a longer duration of firing. for 2 LMGs there seems to be very little ordinance going the enemies way per minute.
aeroblade56 Offline
Development

« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2012, 05:32:20 am »

The LMG is crazy in buildings it mows infatry down although it takes 2 lmg AB units to see results.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc