Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 06, 2024, 01:23:26 am

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[Yesterday at 07:29:20 am]

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lets Hihack OMGMods Maps. They did hijack ours.  (Read 13314 times)
Tommy952 Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2012, 05:37:08 pm »

You know, trying to crack open the back door with a crowbar is sometimes harder than ringing the doorbell.
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2012, 05:54:02 pm »

Ding dong

OMG devs and mappers work closely to make the maps fit together with upcoming modes and gametypes. It wouldn't make sense for a map that was developed for an OMG specific game mode to be released over here. It just wouldn't work.

So if you want to play OMG maps, play OMG, if you want to play EIR play whichever you like, but the topic is pretty tired and getting old.

We want team members to keep maps exclusive, but this is not out of "pettiness". It's because their heavily involved in the development of the mod. We can't force them to keep maps made solely by you exclusive. What you do with them is your choice. It's all about mapper's choice.

The decision of making maps exclusive or public is entirely up to the mapper, however, maps are intellectual property of the mod just as any other mod content. For an example, maps made for the Battle of the Bulge were made for the BotB mod. OMG mappers are considered apart of the mod team because they are actively developing content for the mod just as the coders write the code and the design/balance developers design the gameplay. It is not simply about converting maps from one mod to another, but the decision of the mod to share its content to another. Demanding unfettered access to OMG maps is equivalent to the OMG Mod taking EiRR code and using it for our own. As it stands, the OMG Mod does not wish to share certain portions of its mod content so please respect our decision.

So, why would they have suddenly changed their mind? Since there is nothing we can possibly give them in exchange... (We never had an 'exclusive map' program)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 06:02:01 pm by Unkn0wn » Logged
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2012, 05:54:27 pm »

Lolz, an old post of mine about this on the dev forum

I'm not sure if all of you are familiar with the game theory of 'prisoner's dilemma', for those of you who are not:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prisoner%27s_dilemma

Anyway, I just realised this is very much applicable to the current situation EIR and OMG are in.

Now let's assume the following:
Mod A: EIR
Mod B: OMG

A: Available to all
E: Exclusive

When applied in a matrix you get the following situation:

The numbers represent the 'gain' from each situation for the respective mods (Mod A, Mod B).
Obviously, the higher the number the higher the gain is and the more desirable a situation.

Currently, we are in situation (1, 12). OMG has all their maps exclusive while still having access to all our maps.
This is an incredibly undesirable situation. The ONLY way we can turn things around is by going into a situation where we make our maps exclusive as well. This will put us at (4, 4) which is the key turning point. Both mods can then decide to continue along that path OR they will strife for a better situation being (10 , 10) where all maps get shared.

In conclusion, we have to make our maps exclusive in an attempt to reach an equilibrium with OMG in a distant future. Wink

Fear mah economic skillz.

Anyway, we never did go ahead and make exclusive maps. If OMG actually had a copyright on their maps, and if we actually cared more, making our own maps exclusive would have been the only option. That being said, our official position is still that of taking the high road on this.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 05:57:20 pm by Unkn0wn » Logged
tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2012, 05:57:16 pm »

The Tank came along and said:

Those fuckers do not share with us, let's stop sharing with them.
No math needed.....lol

Geez, while Wind was banned I forgot that he is, in fact, totally insufferable
I'm not going to lie Tig, 9/10 times you open your mouth, I'm overwhelmed with the urge to put my foot in it.
jackmccrack Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2012, 06:35:06 pm »

Yeah fuck those guys srsly

Let's talk about PIATs in a car.
Demon767 Offline
Warmap Betatester
EIR Veteran

« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2012, 08:02:07 pm »

yeh fuck em

Generalleutnant of The Reichs Wolves

Nevergetsputonlistguy767
nikomas Offline
Shameless Perv

« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2012, 01:09:05 am »

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooow...

Those exuses are a bunch of bullshit, no really, I could come up with better excuses than that.
"Mappers decision" (I'm pretty sure mappers just want you to enjoy the maps) and "Made for OMG"....

Pfffft, assholes, Yeah, just steal em.

"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing—after they've tried everything else."

Quote from: PonySlaystation
The officer is considerably better than a riflemen squad at carrying weapons. Officers have good accuracy so they will hit most targets.
GORKHALI Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2012, 01:21:19 am »

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooow...

Those exuses are a bunch of bullshit, no really, I could come up with better excuses than that.
"Mappers decision" (I'm pretty sure mappers just want you to enjoy the maps) and "Made for OMG"....

Pfffft, assholes, Yeah, just steal em.
if u guys all want to steal maps from others why r u guys always accusing Keeps for stealing maps then, Grin Grin Grin

just let him steal more maps and let it be added to module and say nothing Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

nikomas Offline
Shameless Perv

« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2012, 01:29:32 am »

if u guys all want to steal maps from others why r u guys always accusing Keeps for stealing maps then, Grin Grin Grin

just let him steal more maps and let it be added to module and say nothing Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Nah, a slap in the face feels better than a sneaky backstab, and I'd like the slap one after what they said  Grin
spinn72 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2012, 02:33:14 am »

Too many nice guys in OMG, their forums aren't nearly as interesting as ours so they try to compensate by stealing some of our maps! Leave them be, they can writhe in their mediocrity while we bask in the glory that is doctrines and trolls!
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2012, 05:17:25 am »

Anyway, I think this thread has run its course.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc