Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 24, 2024, 02:33:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]
Poll
Question: What do you think of Changing vet to be like VCoH PE vet
Forget it - Stupid Idea
Good Idea - Requires Limits
Ingenuis Idea
Needs more discussion
No Changes required

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Random Vet Idea  (Read 8720 times)
tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« on: January 16, 2012, 12:00:56 pm »

So I had this idea bouncing around in my head for a while. Let's make this clear, this is a Tank130 idea, not a Dev team idea. That means it is NOT getting implemented unless we have a majority of people who think it would be an improvement to the mod.

Basically I was thinking we should have the ability to choose an Offensive Bonus or a Defensive bonus when we Vet up. It would be completely OP if we just copied the PE Vet, so that is NOT what I am suggesting.

We would have to determine the MAX level of bonuses a unit could receive, then work it backwards.
For example Vet 3 Engi Offensive maximum bonus = + 20%  accuracy / +20% Damage
So let's say something like Vet 3 is 100% of the maximum, vet 2 50%, Vet 1 25% or something like that. I am not going to try to discuss the values, just the concept.

I think this would really help with company customization and specialization to play style.

Anyway, just curious if the idea warrants any discussion or not.

Possible after thought.....

We could also split this over 5 vet levels, or possibly go over the max buff at Vet 5. Vet 5 would require such an insane amount of XP that it would be very rare to see it.

Geez, while Wind was banned I forgot that he is, in fact, totally insufferable
I'm not going to lie Tig, 9/10 times you open your mouth, I'm overwhelmed with the urge to put my foot in it.
Smokaz Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 12:02:57 pm »

Like it!

SlippedHerTheBigOne: big penis puma
SlippedHerTheBigOne: and i have no repairkits
SlippedHerTheBigOne: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Spartan_Marine88 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 12:09:02 pm »

I like 5 vet levels and the PE vet idea.

Even if we copied OMGs 4-5 idea, which is 4 gets a new skin, 5 gets custom name and becomes 'known'

Yes that's me, the special snowflake.
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 12:18:19 pm »

So just bragging rights =P
Spartan_Marine88 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 12:20:31 pm »

So just bragging rights =P

Yes

imagine how much more epic Winds firefly saga would have been with an 'elite' skin and 'daisy' as its name
Tymathee Offline
Donator

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 01:12:48 pm »

yeah...i so didnt' propose this idea months ago and it got a resouding "hell yes" I even fleshed it out more into a much more customizable tree.

I would love to have vet options like that, it would really make it so you can have different types of companies. depending on how its implemented (only able to go down 1 tree or selectable) you can have up to 9 different combination's of vet.

think of it this way. 3 off, 3 def. 1-2-3 is off and 4-5-6 is def vet.

that'd be quite awesome.

then there's

most damage buffs dont even get implemented until vet 3 if not all. So you'd have for.

offensive
+10% acc
+10% cooldown
+10% damage

defensive
-10% incoming acc
-10% incoming damage
+10% health

and u can mix that up.

heck even on say rifles. maybe you have the vet 2 be, + sticky range and on defensive +nade range. or faster sticky wind up. same for faust. instead of an extra faust, you get a faster wind up. on like a howie you can mix it and have on one side range bonus and the other side cooldown or reload or lower scatter.

Tree'd vet opened up so many possibilities. It doesn't have to be all Off/Def you just have two sides. It's also great because even if u know someone has a bunch of vetted units, you dont know what each vetted unit has.

Hmm...this is giving me some ideas. i may go thru and do this for a couple units just for fun

"I want proof!"
"I have proof!"
"Whatever, I'm still right"

Dafuq man, don't ask for proof if you'll refuse it if it's not in your favor, logic fallacy for the bloody win.
Ahnungsloser Offline
Donator

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 01:17:15 pm »

@Tym:

Yeah! Maybe the Tank Destroyer could get bonusses like acceleration/speed or penetration/damage or something between this. A motar
could get a higher range or a higher amount of shell per barrage ( or a lower set up time or..).

9th Armoured Engineers
Tymathee Offline
Donator

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 01:20:05 pm »

More customization = more fun for players, more work for devs Tongue

the question is, if you have treed vet, will we be able to switch it up or will it all be down the offensive or defensive tree?
tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 01:21:09 pm »

A Tym & Ahnungsloser

Your ideas are great as well.
I would like to avoid listing specific abilities at this point. If we start down this path it will just become another shit show thread with arguments about what ability is op or not.

At this point I just want to know if the community thinks this is a direction we should consider for veterancy.

If we did choose this option, then we would be open to ideas of what those bonuses should be.
tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 01:22:26 pm »

More customization = more fun for players, more work for devs Tongue

the question is, if you have treed vet, will we be able to switch it up or will it all be down the offensive or defensive tree?

Good question. What would be the Pros & Cons of both?
Tymathee Offline
Donator

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 01:27:46 pm »

Alternating Vet Tree
Pro - High customization, able to buff units in both categories.
Con - Ability for unit to cover weaknesses on both offense and defense.
At each vet level player would have to choose one or the other, possibly in launcher, would probably go back to not being able to vet in game. Couple be possible to do in game (ie PE vet)

Static Vet Tree
Pro - Simple, choose one tree at vet 1 and stick with it. Simplier ability to vet up in game. Could do higher bonuses because unit can't get offensive and defensive abilities. Easier to code.
Con - Less customization, that's really it...
Ahnungsloser Offline
Donator

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 01:30:17 pm »

@Tank:
Yeah this is the main problem.  Angry
I have write a PM to you about this topic.
Tymathee Offline
Donator

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 01:39:07 pm »

A Tym & Ahnungsloser

Your ideas are great as well.
I would like to avoid listing specific abilities at this point. If we start down this path it will just become another shit show thread with arguments about what ability is op or not.

At this point I just want to know if the community thinks this is a direction we should consider for veterancy.

If we did choose this option, then we would be open to ideas of what those bonuses should be.

i think yes we should go down that option. It would make companies more varied and I feel make it easier to balance vet because then you can balance the different offensive and defensive abilities to the different units rather than trying to do a full on balance with both abilities.

You can even throw in different offensive and defensive abilities rather than a buff. Like sticky range can be a vet 2 defensive abilities but on offensve they get the acc buff rather than both as it is now. Same with vet 3, now its  +10 health and +20 dmg, with treed, it can be one or the other.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 01:41:09 pm by Tymathee » Logged
aeroblade56 Offline
Development

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2012, 01:44:17 pm »

vet 5 kch offensive. this is a sad day.

You are welcome to your opinion.

You are also welcome to be wrong.
Valexandes Offline
Donator

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2012, 01:46:50 pm »

I like the idea of options with the vet.
I would love to see a zook pen buff as an option instead of sticky range.

It would be really nice to be able to choose to take all defensive or all offensive to special my units a bit or take an even mix to just have an all around somewhat buffed unit.

the nashorn is like a kid with a giant penis, it has no idea how to use it or where to point it most of the time but it could still fuck you

Your mom, and your grandma wont know....
Spartan_Marine88 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2012, 01:50:28 pm »

Personally more then anything else i have heard suggested for this mod, treed veterancy would transcend this mod to extreme greatness. Imagine if we put 10 levels into units (balanced them accordingly i know it would be a bitch amount of work) but it would make each unit yours and yours alone. (i especially like the idea of a skin change past a certain level for posterity and just its awesome.)

Yes it would make vet hunting even bigger then it is, and the shock of losing its terrible. But that was one of the things that made diablo 2 so epic (hardcore mode) Because you can invest so much into something, lose it and RAGE and then find yourself right back at it trying to get it back
Tymathee Offline
Donator

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2012, 02:00:42 pm »

doesn't have to be all buffs. can give them extra medkit or fausts or make them cap faster etc. Offense is subjective
tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2012, 02:04:07 pm »

I think if we start adding too many vet levels it will fail.

If every level of vet adds a buff, 8, 9, or 10 buffs later the unit is far to powerful to be balanced well. Or, if we started at a max buff level and tiered it down, each vet level would give a ridiculously low level of buff, hardly making it worth while as you grind.

I could be wrong, but that's the way it feels to me.

I thinking having a named final vet level could be fun. Give that buffed up bad boy unit a name to fear....lol
tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2012, 02:09:56 pm »

Please read the OP before posting.

It clearly states that a maximum buff would be determined and then work backwards to assure we don't have over buffed units.

I did throw out an option to possibly go over the max buff with Vet 5, but it would require an insane amount xp to do so. Not a good option IMO
Spartan_Marine88 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2012, 02:12:24 pm »

If every level of vet adds a buff, 8, 9, or 10 buffs later the unit is far to powerful to be balanced well. Or, if we started at a max buff level and tiered it down, each vet level would give a ridiculously low level of buff, hardly making it worth while as you grind.

Agreed it would either be small buffs. or moderate buffs and say every third or so would be things like +1 grenade, or +1 ap rounds for atgs. or small minor abilities like sprint. Personally i like vanity levels every little bit, so you can spread out the buffs. Who knows. But i think a vet 10 rifleman should at the least be respected if not feared.

I like the idea of giving something like Heroic armour to a vet 10 unit but require vet 10 to be purchased and be hardcapped to 3 company wide. So you would have to pick and choose which units got vet 10. 3 rifles, a rifle sherman and ranger, or 2 rangers and a sherman etc.

example

Spartans Marines

vet 10 rifleman squadron

heroic armor
elite uniform enabled
+15% accuracy
+20 hp
sprint
+1 grenade
+5 sticky range
-15% suppression
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 02:17:11 pm by Spartan_Marine88 » Logged