Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 08:04:25 am

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]

[December 14, 2022, 12:10:06 am]

[September 22, 2022, 06:57:30 am]

[August 22, 2022, 05:10:35 pm]
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Alpha] 6P_Bakel  (Read 5957 times)
Nevyen Offline
Honoured Member

« on: October 13, 2007, 01:13:02 am »

well here we go 1st map ever,  its in alpha and still needs work, mainly learning how to manipulate territories ill ask you lot for guidance for that but in the mean time id like you all to have a go of the map and let me know.

Its built with two things in mind, a tough town fight and to be used with eir.   

I hope you like my 1st effort 

Here are some screenies

http://files.filefront.com/6P+Bakelsga/;8785081;/fileinfo.html

hope you enjoy it

Cheers Nev

Compact Flash Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 03:11:45 am »

Looking great Nev. Well done!

Can this map be played in vCoH or just EiR?

Compact.
DeadlyShoe Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 03:32:17 am »

The terrain elevation changes in the town look weird. In particularly, they're causing unevenness in the fences and walls. Also, the huge number of buildings are gonna be pretty weird for gameplay.

The map seems pretty large for a 3v3 and you can go pretty much everywhere. Not much is blocked off.  I think it could use a few more walls directing movement flow.

This may be the most offensive thing I've read.  At least, today.
Nevyen Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007, 07:26:55 am »

Thanks for the feedback shoe, ill look into the height mapping on the walls, as for the large number of buildings well thats my objective a real town fight where you need to lock down street block after street block, as to size its for eir so i thinking the size is about right for that game style but can be proved wrong, if its more suitable for 4v4 eir then ill add more starting points.

Im looking to (once i work out how to do it)  to drive movement through the territories thus have them dictate partailly to the player what needs to happen.

Anyway cheers
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2007, 09:14:00 am »

Also: your walls, hedgesn fences, etc need more random & spread openings all over so they are more accesible.
Warbirds2 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2007, 10:28:17 am »

The problem with street by street fighting is that it makes anyone with a howitzer or 25pdr able to dominate the city fairly easily.
DasNoob Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2007, 01:35:51 pm »

You can basically ignore any comments about "too many buildings."  The town is great!  Some of the walls will need more openings true, and hight needs to be fixed.  As far as the starting point for Axis near the orchards, they are beautiful, but there needs to be some path finding done on them.  My grens had to run all the way to the far edge and then up and down some of the rows in order to get the to the capping point.  So maybe a good path finding adjustment in some of your fields.

And as Unknown always preaches.... more splats.

This map will be great once it is finished.  However, I played a skirmish 2v2 and it felt just right... I don't see how 3v3 will fit on this map.

I love the center of town being able to see down all 4 streets.  I put up an 88 in there was was popping shit all day.  Then i converted a near by house into a field base and once they brought in arty, i was simply clicking on the base to fill up the dead soldiers. 

@ Warbirds, if the town is to scary for you you have plenty of room on the sides to flank it.  I for one will be living in the town Tongue
« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 01:39:47 pm by DasNoob » Logged

Quote from: fldash on Today at 06:22:34 PM
DISASTER AVERTED... IM A MOTHER FUCKING GENIUS!

You have DasNoob who uses the mod as COHTV
Kolath Offline
Commander, 2nd Infantry Division

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 10:49:53 am »

Wow!  Nevyen, that looks incredible  Shocked  Great work!  When I get home from work I'll have to check it out in the worldbuilding.  But based purely on the screenshots here is some snap feedback:

- Heightmap - It looks like it could use a bit more variation in height.  Think up to +/- 10 height.  Some minor variation will make it look more realistic.  Also, I would add a deform to the road splines and make them slightly raised.

- Buildings - This will require extensive playtesting, but my general observation is that having tons of buildings really bogs down play.  It is VERY hard to break into an area that is controlled by 4+ buildings all with MGs or infantry plus cover from arty or mortars.

- Layout - The map looks fantastic from the screenshots.  I applaud you for avoiding the newbie mistake of using too many straight lines.  The town looks very naturally asymmetrical.

- Walls -  As Unk0wn mentioned, you should make more breaks in the walls and hedgerows.  It's okay if there are more frequent breaks than reality would dictate, it will greatly improve mobility.

Kolath's Quote Commandments:
1. Thou shalt not quote the entirety of a post 3 or less posts above you
2. Thou shalt not quote more than 2 nested levels
3. Thou shalt not quote large blocks of text when one sentence would do
4. Thou shalt not quote images!
acker Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 03:55:58 pm »

Interesting...should be fun as an IMBA map. Though it really isn't too IMBA; though MGs will lock out the town, think about what arty could do...
Nevyen Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2007, 07:11:55 pm »

Cheers Guys

Im going to mess around with health values of buildings to make outer buildings weak and inner buildings strong, thus while allowing for defence on the outskirts giving the attacking player the ability with assult guns to break in.

I think you need to look at how you approach a town fight as well, while an mg will lock down a area, a stuh will blow them out of the building and backed up with infantry an effective attack with flame throwers and the such will help with the clearing of building.

Town fights are bogged down events but are worth it for the tactical possibilities. arty is limited in eir to begin with so infatry tactics will need to be honed on this map,  mainly pinning from the front,  the town is also big enough so that the standard eir army won't hold all zones effectivly requireing the player to use fire base tactics and hold key buildings to dominate.   Stukas and the like will be useful but i think with that much cover will allow for effective shrugging of that and force the attacker to mount co-ordinated thrusts to take town sectors consolidate and then push again.    It will also allow a defender to fall back and not be overrun like some more of the free flowing games we have. 

Ive played it a few time now and with all your feedback and my notes will work on it in the next few days and bring out alpha 2.  I still need somone to explain how to shape territories,   Someone please.... Smiley 
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2007, 01:24:38 pm »

Some more input.

1. Like Kolath and myself stated earlier, give the town a more damaged & battered appearance.
By this I don't just mean "wrecking" some random buildings. Make it look fought for.
Have some wrecks, possible fires, craters, rubble, dust, maybe even corpses, etc all over the city.
(Even if you keep certain areas intact, make them look more worn.)

Right now it  looks like the city was just constructed Smiley.

2. Atmosphere, get an atmosphere preset (see tutorial) that fit better.
I guess it's better than default but imho it's not a perfect match, browse through some more.

My main issues are the brightness, it makes your entire map look too clean and sunny.

3. Terrain, try to add some more elevation on the fields. If not already, your roads can use some too.
(Typical Holland phenonomon Tongue)

4. Splats & Splines! They stick out too much.
Change the opacity of your splats & colourise your splines (look on wiki for tutorials).
This will make them blend in better and add a lot more realism.
(Non-blended splats & splines make it look artificial.)

On top of that, as always.
The more the better! (Open a Relic map for reference)

5. Sectors/Territories - http://www.gamereplays.org/community/index.php?showtopic=174554

6. Tiles. Same rule as nr 4.
Use "strenght" to change the opacity of the tiling you're using.
(Especially for grass, dirt, rubble, etc tiling)

Other useful ones for you:
Rural Guide - http://www.gamereplays.org/community/index.php?showtopic=250536
General Eye Candy - http://www.gamereplays.org/community/index.php?showtopic=166991

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc