Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:59:09 am

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[Today at 04:28:22 am]

[April 22, 2024, 03:40:53 am]

[April 21, 2024, 12:02:54 pm]

[April 06, 2024, 02:26:25 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:13 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 23   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gay Marriage  (Read 172057 times)
Sachaztan Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #180 on: April 19, 2013, 01:57:55 pm »

Well before just now I didn't know that the pope has never made any ex cathedra statements about homosexuality. I thought it was de fide dogma without really looking it up and when I did look it up...well then I obviously had to correct my mistake.

Here are two other things that while considered infallible, haven't been elevated to de fide:
Contraception is wrong
Jesus was raised from the dead

In fact throughout history there have been very few ex cathedra statements, which makes sense. Once something is de fide it can never ever be downgraded. Which makes sense because it allows the church to recant and change the fallibility of their statements if they don't, allows the church to evolve.

It's understandable that not even Catholics know everything about how the dogma, levels of infallibility, doctrine, teachings etc all work. It gives me a real headache researching this...
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 02:08:30 pm by Sachaztan » Logged

Demon posession is real and it's not funny, it's the creepiest thing you will ever experience.

I would also like to add I watch fox news everyday all day and will continue to watch it while being proud of that fact. I'm sure you enjoy your communist news network just as much.
TheWindCriesMary Offline
The Ethics Police
EIR Veteran

« Reply #181 on: April 19, 2013, 01:58:17 pm »

Why would follow the old testament literally when modern Christianity is based around the new testament? The old testament has a lot of outdated rules that are no longer relevant today like how a woman's arm is to be amputated if she kicks a man in the balls. Would you support these kinds of laws just because they're in the old testament?

Ephesians and corinthians are new testament.

So, for example, hilariously stupid excerpts like this:

"Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands as you do to the Lord. 23 For the husband is the head
of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. 24 Now as the church
submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything." Ephesians 5:22-24

And if you think the New Testament is somehow still relevant to today... you are a very drunk person. It's just the diet misogony, racism and bigotry version.

Vermillion Hawk: Do you ever make a post that doesnt make you come across as an extreme douchebag?

Just sayin'
Vermillion_Hawk Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #182 on: April 19, 2013, 02:08:19 pm »

Of course, there would be no problem with passages like that if people would recognize that the books of the Bible were written at specific times for a specific audience. Alas.

Conversely, judging it as a whole by taking only those passages and ignoring the many moral teachings is pretty stupid.

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.

- Andre Malraux

- Dracula
Spartan_Marine88 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #183 on: April 19, 2013, 02:10:02 pm »

Would you support of stoning your ex-wife to death because she divorced you?

How much money is she taking from me? And did she get the kids or not? These are important factors to consider here.

Yes that's me, the special snowflake.
PonySlaystation Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #184 on: April 19, 2013, 02:11:17 pm »

I mean because the new testament has mostly stories about Jesus and his moral teachings.

Sharks are not monsters Henley, they are cute, cuddly and misunderstood. They love humans. sometimes they love TOO much. They love people so much that sometimes their kisses separate people into two flailing pieces which are consumed by other sharks in a frenzy of peace and joy.
Sachaztan Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #185 on: April 19, 2013, 02:12:19 pm »

I mean because the new testament has mostly stories about Jesus and his moral teachings.

Yeah moral teachings like homosexuals are an abomination of God and that women are inferior to men.
Vermillion_Hawk Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #186 on: April 19, 2013, 02:18:43 pm »

Yeah moral teachings like homosexuals are an abomination of God and that women are inferior to men.

Which are coincidentally written by a person unrelated to Jesus, and mostly has to do with societal norms he wished to see enforced in the Christian community at that time, not really with morality. So yes, you have to expect that, but don't confuse it with a moral teaching.
Sachaztan Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #187 on: April 19, 2013, 02:22:41 pm »

Which are coincidentally written by a person unrelated to Jesus, and mostly has to do with societal norms he wished to see enforced in the Christian community at that time, not really with morality. So yes, you have to expect that, but don't confuse it with a moral teaching.

Jesus never wrote down anything he said or thought, others had to do it for him. So how does this not apply to everything in the new testament?
Vermillion_Hawk Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #188 on: April 19, 2013, 02:26:26 pm »

Because there's a difference between someone writing down what Jesus said and did and someone writing something completely unrelated with the actual story of Jesus. Of course the Gospels are all written with audiences in mind as well - each one panders to a different audience, with one focusing on miracles to try and convince skeptics at the time, one focusing on Jesus' fufilment of Jewish prophecy to attempt to convince Jews, one focusing on Jesus' associations with Gentiles and the poor and downtrodden, etc. However, there is a certain limit of how much one author can put his views into what he's writing when the subject material in question is a well-known incident. Not so for St. Paul and his letters.
Mysthalin Offline
Tired King of Stats

« Reply #189 on: April 19, 2013, 02:26:47 pm »

Also, what's that passage which has Jesus state that it is easier for the world to end than for a single dot of the law to become invalid when speaking of the laws in the Old Testament?

Basically the idea is that if the New Testament makes no mention of something, the Old Testament should be followed.

Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #190 on: April 19, 2013, 02:30:07 pm »

It always struck me as convenient how religious people are selectively blind for everything that contradicts their beliefs. I suppose it's easier to just ignore the truth than to change what you perceive yourself as (and thus risk an identity crisis).

Religious books are all nonsense, and the only thing worse than taking morals from the bible is believing its stories really happened. (Adam and Eve? Bitch please)
Sachaztan Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #191 on: April 19, 2013, 02:43:58 pm »

(Adam and Eve? Bitch please)

dat incest though...

Why isn't this practice established as divine canon in all abrahamic religions? If it worked for Adam & Eve and their descendents then why not for the rest of us?

Oh and the story of Noah's Ark is approximately 9001x more ridiculous than that of Adam & Eve (or any story that humanity has ever conceived)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 02:53:26 pm by Sachaztan » Logged
Vermillion_Hawk Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #192 on: April 19, 2013, 02:45:34 pm »

Because I'm pretty sure only backwater Americans actually take that story (and the majority of the Bible) as literal fact.
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #193 on: April 19, 2013, 03:04:04 pm »

Because I'm pretty sure only backwater Americans actually take that story (and the majority of the Bible) as literal fact.

So pretty much the GOP and everyone who votes for them aye?
clonetroopers Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #194 on: April 19, 2013, 03:13:27 pm »

good old Catholics.....

Fuck little boys up the ass, lie, steal, cheat, molest, drink, swear....... confess on Monday, good to go for the rest of the week.

And, according to Tig, you don't even have to believe in the shit they preach.
Hey tank fuck you too!
TheIcelandicManiac Offline
Resident forum troll. Fucked unkn0wns mom

« Reply #195 on: April 19, 2013, 03:17:59 pm »

Hey tank fuck you too!
Watch boondock saints man, fantastic movie.

Quote from: Grundwaffe
Soon™
gj icelandic i am proud of u  Smiley
Sometimes its like PQ doesnt carrot all.

Work Harder
Sachaztan Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #196 on: April 19, 2013, 03:23:21 pm »

XIIcorps Offline
Donator

« Reply #197 on: April 19, 2013, 04:30:18 pm »

When are we going to get back to discussing poofs gays and lesbians and how they should be eradicated.
Instead of this inquisition into tigs catholic beliefs and whether we can park in the garage without buying a ticket.

some of My kids i work with shower me Wink
tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« Reply #198 on: April 19, 2013, 05:20:58 pm »

Hey tank fuck you too!

What.... you Catholics are not happy with the little boys, now you want the old men to. Yikes, you need some serious help over there.

Geez, while Wind was banned I forgot that he is, in fact, totally insufferable
I'm not going to lie Tig, 9/10 times you open your mouth, I'm overwhelmed with the urge to put my foot in it.
aeroblade56 Offline
Development

« Reply #199 on: April 19, 2013, 05:24:43 pm »

What.... you Catholics are not happy with the little boys, now you want the old men to. Yikes, you need some serious help over there.

i'm not sure if anyone else thought it was funny Tank said that. but i did.

You are welcome to your opinion.

You are also welcome to be wrong.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 23   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc