Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 08:21:15 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 26, 2024, 09:37:35 am]

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Internets War Against Creatives  (Read 4200 times)
Tymathee Offline
Donator

« on: July 31, 2013, 01:26:04 pm »

I put this up because of all the idiocy that gets spewed at the EIR dev team.

http://penny-arcade.com/report/article/swimming-in-a-sea-of-shit-the-internets-war-against-creatives

I didn't realize it was this bad out there and to be honest, it's sickening.

I understand that maybe we're frustrated at things, dislike something etc. but some of the things that people say regarding a stupid freakin' game is just retarded.

Put it in perspective IT'S A GAME!

It's not your life, what they do or don't do won't affect your day anyway, you can always just walk away, watch TV, go out with friends, etc.

Its hard work to do these types of things, it's no fun and it's no money.

So please, can we give these guys our support? Even if they make mistakes, they're human, you make mistakes as well and might even have screwed up yourself if you were in the same position.

To put your time and energy into something that the only joy you get is the process and the joy of seeing others enjoy the game is such a thankless job.

So please, give these guys your support, tell them when they do a good job and make suggestions, other than threats, and if they choose to ignore you, be an adult (and if you aren't a legal adult, this is a good time to practice) and just grin and bear it, there are worse things in this world than a broken virtual tank.

"I want proof!"
"I have proof!"
"Whatever, I'm still right"

Dafuq man, don't ask for proof if you'll refuse it if it's not in your favor, logic fallacy for the bloody win.
I2ay Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 11:02:09 pm »

Put it in perspective IT'S A GAME!

It's not your life, what they do or don't do won't affect your day anyway, you can always just walk away, watch TV, go out with friends, etc.

You know i actually wrote out this big ass wall of text and then realized you're a dumb ass so i deleted it all...

brn4meplz Offline
Misinformation Officer

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 12:05:31 am »

I think the article is a good read Ray.

Theres far too much poison out there and alot of gamers don't ever feel it. It's different when it's something you've invested time into.

He thinks Tactics is a breath mint

Wow I think that was the nicest thing brn ever posted!  Tongue

the pussy of a prostitute is not tight enough for destroy a condom Wink
Smokaz Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 04:38:16 am »

compared to what? you can get tortured, imprisoned and similarily prosecuted for ideas still. political, religious and even scientific views can garner this type of negative attention.. being threatened with rape on twitter just isn't as harsh.. but i'll agree that it would feel bad

SlippedHerTheBigOne: big penis puma
SlippedHerTheBigOne: and i have no repairkits
SlippedHerTheBigOne: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
aeroblade56 Offline
Development

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 07:56:17 am »

Meh. that whole martin lawrence thing is a little out of context Hollywood is one thing being man handled by the paparazzi  constantly comes with the job. You can't make millions of dollars with your face and not expect to have it plastered everywhere. You choose that lifestyle for yourself and i think Or at least we should know For a while that if you want to be  a actor and make a life times worth of money in 5 years of work expect there to be pressured.

Also thar article was just to dumb as ray said i read it all.

You are welcome to your opinion.

You are also welcome to be wrong.
brn4meplz Offline
Misinformation Officer

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 08:13:03 am »

compared to what? you can get tortured, imprisoned and similarily prosecuted for ideas still. political, religious and even scientific views can garner this type of negative attention.. being threatened with rape on twitter just isn't as harsh.. but i'll agree that it would feel bad

I'm not saying being insulted on the internet is the hardest thing in the world. Sure we're not making you child soldiers here by shooting you with drug cocktails.

But it certainly impacts your motivation to keep working on something when a group of people are telling you you suck, or their glad your family died cause now you've got more time to code.
PonySlaystation Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 09:13:08 am »

Some things should not be shared, why post about close personal matters like the death of a family member on the internet where anyone can post anonymously?

About the balance stuff for call of duty, what did they expect? "we just nerfed your favorite weapon, I hope you (the 12 year old kids with prepubescent rage issues) will be able to handle this in a professional and profound manner and provide extensive balance feedback on matters that only the developers have any real insight and overview of."

I'm pretty sure that there are better ways to get feedback on your game than on twitter, if there is a feedback feature in the game then there's even the possibility for redemption. Just permaban anyone who misuse the feedback feature to insult and slander.

Sharks are not monsters Henley, they are cute, cuddly and misunderstood. They love humans. sometimes they love TOO much. They love people so much that sometimes their kisses separate people into two flailing pieces which are consumed by other sharks in a frenzy of peace and joy.
tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 10:04:18 am »

The posts in this thread are pretty much what I expected. Anyone who has actually put in an effort on a game or mod understand the issue and feels the guys pain.

The rest of the people say: You are on the internet and I don't give a shit, fuck you and everyone else I can say or do what I want. Get to work and make my entertainment and shut the fuck up.

And don't put your personal shit on the internet because people like me will abuse it. All you actors deserve your shit for being successful at what you do. All you niggers and Jews should just stay indoors as well if you don't like racism!!! WTF do you expect if you come into public. You are just asking for it.

Ya, sounds like its all the developers fault to me.......

Geez, while Wind was banned I forgot that he is, in fact, totally insufferable
I'm not going to lie Tig, 9/10 times you open your mouth, I'm overwhelmed with the urge to put my foot in it.
brn4meplz Offline
Misinformation Officer

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 10:32:14 am »

This sort of stuff correlates DIRECTLY to the problem with the Internet age and 24/7 bullying.

I'm the last person who condones selfish suicide(pretty much the single most selfish act a person can commit) but even I can understand why a lot of kids find it a preferable option in today's world. whether you're bullying develops because you like/hate their game or you're bullying kids because of something. It all comes down to niceties. The world we live in allows anonymity for you to say almost anything you want without real world repercussions. Additionally, you can't escape it if you want to remain a functioning member of society and someone who is gainfully employed and enjoys remaining in contact with friends.
DarkSoldierX Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2013, 10:39:31 am »

I'm sure that Phil Fish guy did overreact to the situation, and that hes also not a saint either. But it is true that the attitude towards many devs is appalling at times.

Truth is people can get away with so many things on the internet, and this stuff will probably continue to happen until the end of humanity. All you can do is not be a part of the problem.

two words
atgs and fireflies
Looks who's butthurt
*waiting* 4 DarkSoldierNoobiX pops up to prove how much shit the T17 is penetrating KTs back and Jagd front and how much better the ac/puma is penetrating m10 rear  Cool Cool Cool
PonySlaystation Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2013, 10:48:54 am »

I may not but others will and no it's not like real life. Racist remarks and other insults are punishable crimes or at least bound to get your teeth knocked out. On the internet people are anonymous and there are no repercussions, hence people will say what they want, whenever they want it no matter how rude or disrespectful those comments may seem to other people. It's a breeding ground for hate speeches.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 10:51:07 am by PonySlaystation » Logged
tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 12:48:53 pm »

I may not but others will and no it's not like real life. Racist remarks and other insults are punishable crimes or at least bound to get your teeth knocked out. On the internet people are anonymous and there are no repercussions, hence people will say what they want, whenever they want it no matter how rude or disrespectful those comments may seem to other people. It's a breeding ground for hate speeches.

And calling people niggers and enslaving them, or slaughtering Jews was considered acceptable in some countries in this world's History. In fact, many people used similar excuses as you have to justify it.

Every time a person like you tries to justify why its OK, it is just perpetuating the problem. Its OK to call people niggers or say you are happy their family is dead because its the internet.

You must be so proud to help the crusade to make that acceptable behavior.
Spartan_Marine88 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2013, 12:50:01 pm »

I know some Developers have managed to ignore a good chunk of it by doing things more for themselves then for their fans. (Project Zomboid wrote a good article on it). But ultimately the internet is full of intolerance towards anything that they don't like or understand.

It doesn't help when people on either side of the line acts like tools, and there are a lot more factors out there that makes this wildly worse then it should be. Smarter Moderation should be a start for most forums, (ign and gamespot i believe are starting to look into this) Not things like swear words or names such as Hitler, but instead look into moderating personal attacks, flaming, and racism.

Something that would also be a big boon would be schools having classes on how to behave online in places like forums, there needs to be more focus on how to behave day to day as it is. Information is all well and good, but when the child turns 300 pounds spouting his advanced scientific knowledge on an internet forums and never having a job only too die of a heart attack at 35 maybe one of those science classes should have been dropped for a `learning to be a person class`
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 12:55:28 pm by Spartan_Marine88 » Logged

Yes that's me, the special snowflake.
aeroblade56 Offline
Development

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2013, 04:19:46 pm »

Something that would also be a big boon would be schools having classes on how to behave online in places like forums, there needs to be more focus on how to behave day to day as it is. Information is all well and good, but when the child turns 300 pounds spouting his advanced scientific knowledge on an internet forums and never having a job only too die of a heart attack at 35 maybe one of those science classes should have been dropped for a `learning to be a person class`

It's called being raised right.
I2ay Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2013, 12:15:21 am »

"Theres 200 people telling me they love what I've made! They tell me about how they play it all the time and I can see that many are playing it right now even! I'm so glad people are enjoying all of my hard work! Oh wait... Theres 5 douchebags that think its cool to say mean things to mean. Well fuck everyone who enjoys what I do because a few people don't." If there's an overwhelmingly positive response to something I don't get why someone should give two shits about the opinion of some asshole on the internet that it can be assumed has accomplished far less. To try to relate this to the EiRR dev team is what makes Tym retarded. Everyone here knows everyone else. All the criticism and complaints are from people are enjoy the work so much they're still actively playing it now... (If people bitch that the work is slow, thats not your fault. If people bitch that the work is slow following assurances that if money is donated something will be released on a set date and then its released MONTHS later, thats justified bitching.)
PonySlaystation Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2013, 12:51:22 am »

And calling people niggers and enslaving them, or slaughtering Jews was considered acceptable in some countries in this world's History. In fact, many people used similar excuses as you have to justify it.

Every time a person like you tries to justify why its OK, it is just perpetuating the problem. Its OK to call people niggers or say you are happy their family is dead because its the internet.

You must be so proud to help the crusade to make that acceptable behavior.

How is that relatable? slavery and antisemitism both have deep economical, political and religious roots. The internet is a just a flawed system. Slavery can function economically if there is a high demand on the products that are supplied and there is a great need for manual labor. In Europe there was an extremely high demand for American products like cotton and the fact is single trip to Africa and back meant economical security for the rest of your life for most people involved. Even for the lower classes because it put them slightly higher on the social and economical ladder. Today, that's difficult to relate to, because everyone have economical security but back then people could barely afford to put food on their own table. So slavery had a tremendous economical gain for many people and nothing short of a civil war was going to change that. In fact it was only when the civil war eventually and coincidentally included the abolition of slavery that it was eventually stopped. Not because of ideals or morals but because Lincoln saw the political and strategical advantage in the abolition of slavery. It's likely that his reasoning was that he would rather see black people fight and die in the war instead of his fellow countrymen.

Similarly there are many reasons for why Jews have been persecuted but while slavery and antisemitism were widespread, the negativity on the internet is rather the result of a few bad eggs and a system that enables their behavior. It's a system of communication without legal repercussions for what you say or do with the exception of severe crimes like death treats and terrorism. It's like a society without laws and it's not bound to function until there is regulation.
Spartan_Marine88 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2013, 09:01:50 am »

Tank, one thing you have to remember is that there is ALWAYS heavy bitching about a games balance. (which is what a mod like this really comes down to in the end) I don't think any developers really care about people who bitch about balance, when that happens its like an angry sports fan you just shake your head and move on.

The issue stems from a whole different aspect, one that comes down to people who hound devs berating their entire idea. Its not enough to dislike a game and move on to another, but they have to flame the dev, and let everyone know (many times) how bad of a game they think it is.

However if you try to make a game competitive, and have terrible balance or launch a broken game or just do certain things half assed. Then you deserve everything that you get. There are a number of mods/games which have fucked up so hard, then acted like tools when they got called out on it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc