Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 21, 2024, 09:28:27 am

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [CW] Commando Doctrine  (Read 10513 times)
skaffa Offline
Honoured Member

The very best player of one of the four factions.

« on: January 21, 2014, 06:19:57 am »

The bottom unlocks of this doctrine need to be looked at. Tbf the entire upper part of the doctrine needs to be looked at as well but that requires its own topic. So back to the bottom unlocks.

Basically I have 2 changes Id like to see made to this doctrine.
1. Id put the Commando Jeep in a T1 and enable it to buy Mark Target. Im gonna give an example of how it could be done and talk about some of the other unlocks while Im at it.
2. Improve Commando Piats, either by giving Commandos a different Piat or by buffing the Piat as a whole.

1. Commando Jeep in T1 with Mark Target

How? Id suggest removing the 'Commandos can buy piat' requirement from the T1 Commando Support Weapons and make it default for Commandos. Commandos which are a T1 unlock by themselves.

Move the T1 Commando Support Weapons (hmg n mortar) to the T2 Command Gliders or to the T2 Canister Shot.

In the T1 place, that has now been freed up, put the Commando Jeep (from the T2 Command Gliders) and give it Mark Target by default. Attach a cost to this Mark Target similar to US Armor doctrine (this Mark Target is currently in a T3 of the top unlocks and has no cost attached to it).

The reasoning behind this is that I dont think you should need 2 seperate unlocks to get Commando Piats. This has been brought up a lot of times in the past but has remained unchanged but maybe now the time has come.
Above all I would like to see the Commando Jeep get the Mark Target by default for a price. I dont really care how you want to mix up the bottom unlocks but thats up to you.

A closer look also reveals that the T2 Canister Shot is quite a bad unlock and weak for a T2 compared to other doctrines.

The T2 Lancaster Bombing Run could also use a slight buff in how it works, the plane is very visible on the minimap and flies quite slow. The sound also starts immediately before the plane even enters the minimap which by itself is a trigger for everyone to start moving. With the plane flying in a straight line to its target It becomes easy to estimate where the bomb will drop.
Both these things make it quite easy to dodge the Lancaster Bomb. Delaying the start of the sounds and making the plane fly faster could help make this ability better. It needs to be less predictable, that is what makes the similar T2 unlock V1 useful, I dont mind how you want to change it but a change is needed to improve balance of the LBomb.

2. Improve Commando Piat

Ive played a lot with these guys recently and the Piat upgrade is not worth 130 munitions. Now Im not looking for a reduce in cost but rather an improvement in the effectiveness of the Piat Commando. However right now its both overpriced AND not effective enough.

The Piat misses moving targets and surprisingly still misses non-moving targets quite a lot as well! I can understand the trade off of not hitting moving targets but then it has to RAPE when it does it. Yet the pen and dmg are not that great.

The shooting over obstacles is not good enough. It only works if the enemy gives u time to do it and is bad enough to stay there. But balance in EIR is not done on low skill lvl but on high skill lvl. Again confirmed recently here:
We always balanced based on skilled players. If we didn't, then everything would be balanced to make tank130 look good.....lol

To sum it up: After playing a lot with these Commando Piats its quite clear they underperform and are overpriced. Id prefer to see the Piat hit more moving targets to enable Commando like hit n run tactics - and if needed to compensate, shoot less/not at all over obstacles (leave this to the Sapper Piats ambush). Give Commandos a new Piat that fits their role better and make it worth the 130 munitions cost.

Suggestions:
- Give new Piat
- Give RRs
But what about not giving commando a piat, but a rr for 130 ammo ?
- Give Bazookas, taking into account the LT buffs.
- Buff Commando Piat as well as the Sapper Piat (improvement in chance to hit n penetration being the most mentioned buffs)

Extra points raised in this topic:

- The regular Sapper Piat unit is not good enough and needs to be looked at as well. This is not a Commando specific problem but It is worth mentioning since we are discussing the Piat and its effectiveness.

- It is often stated, also in this topic, that a Piat relies on a useful Button to be effective, however the current Button does not suffice. I would like to add that even with a working Button you would need a 4 pop Sapper Piat and a 5 pop Bren Tommy to make it work, so basically you need 9 pop. This requires too much pop if you ask me.

- The vanilla Commando as a platform underperforms compared to its Axis n Allied counterparts. It is deemed too fragile while its firepower, the Sten, does not pack a good enough punch making it overpriced at 135 munitions.

- An alternative lay out for the bottom unlocks made by Graywolf can be seen here.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 11:36:49 am by skaffa » Logged

Quote from: deadbolt
bad luck skaffa>  creates best and most played eir maps
                      >  hated for creating best and most played eir maps

Quote from: Tachibana
47k new all time record?

Quote from: deadbolt
Don't knock it til uve tried it bitchface, this isn't anything like salads version. Besides u said a semois conversion would never work, now look that's the most played map, ohgodwhy.jpg r u map lead
GrayWolf Offline
Development

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 06:43:33 am »

+1

skaffa Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 08:09:10 am »

+1

Good suggestion. Adding it to the OP.
GrayWolf Offline
Development

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 09:13:51 am »

I think jeeps should no have mark target ability... Officers have one Cheesy
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 09:25:58 am »

Of all the things that are wrong with the Commando doctrine, I'd say the commando jeep is probably at the bottom of that list. So for the sake of the topic I hope people don't get grinded down in discussing just the jeep.

Unfortunately I think the commando doctrine is an excellent example of how the rigid 'unlock' design approach (every doctrine must have 3 off-maps, 3 unit unlocks and 3 upgrade unlocks yada yada) does more harm than good. Which is not to say we can't at least try to make it a little better.
skaffa Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 10:02:29 am »

Good post Wind I will add it into the OP in a min.
I agree Sapper Piats are also weak and should be looked at.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 10:07:05 am by Unkn0wn » Logged
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 10:12:34 am »

Back on topic we go
GrayWolf Offline
Development

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 10:43:39 am »

My suggestion of Commando T1,2,3

T1 :

Recon Run
Commandos (piats for 100 ammo)
Tetrarch + HMG + Mortar

T2:

Commando Officer + Command Jeep (no mark target for jeep)
Lancaster
Lend Lease equipement (Commando can buy RRs for 130 ammo or lmg for 80 ammo)

T3:

Sniper
Rocket Run
Radioman + lv's can buy better Radio (+5 sight +5 detection for 25 ammo)

No canister shot for Stuart
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 12:22:08 pm by GrayWolf » Logged
aeroblade56 Offline
Development

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 10:53:09 am »

+1 for piat balance.

as one of the few brit players there is little worse then using two Tier 1 unlocks just to do fuck all kinda like light Up and soo useful mortar pit.

Aside from the glaring problems of the overpriced worthless piat, stens are also in the same boat you pay 135 munies when the rifles are way better.

The mando is the elite infantry that's special ability can be used against them(running goliaths or flames into the smoke which they just used)  on top of this they can also im fairly certain be detected by a Bike

They do also lack the ability to survive anything more than a strong gust.

You are welcome to your opinion.

You are also welcome to be wrong.
Shabtajus Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 10:58:13 am »

great job for bringing mandos problems. great thread. great disscusion. great post deleted.. can ya pls undo deleted tank posts here pls? i am kinda late in train i wanted make epic quote but they r gone  Sad

I feel like if Smokaz and Shab met up it would be a 50/50 tossup to see which one of them robbed the other first.
Tries to convince people he's a good guy,says things like this. Scumbag Shab.
skaffa Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 11:11:07 am »

Hmmm I wanted to quote Wind's posts in the OP, he had some good points, but both of the posts are gone now hmmm... Ill just write myself then.
skaffa Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2014, 11:42:36 am »

My suggestion of Commando T1,2,3

T1 :

Recon Run
Commandos
Tetrarch

T2:

Commando Officer + Command Jeep
Lancaster
Lend Lease equipement (Commando can buy RRs for 130 ammo or lmg for 75 ammo)

T3:

Sniper
Rocket Run
Radioman + lv's can buy better Radio (+5 sight +5 detection for 25 ammo)

I think ur layout is pretty good. Just need some clarification.
Does the Commando unlock grant them Piats? yes/no
Does the Jeep have Mark Target? yes/no
Where are the Commando HMG n Mortar located?
Canister Shot for Stuart is removed? yes/no (which I can understand its a pos)
GrayWolf Offline
Development

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2014, 12:23:32 pm »

- The regular Sapper Piat unit is not good enough and needs to be looked at as well. This is not a Commando specific problem but It is worth mentioning since we are discussing the Piat and its effectiveness.

- It is often stated, also in this topic, that a Piat relies on a useful Button to be effective, however the current Button does not suffice. I would like to add that even with a working Button you would need a 4 pop Sapper Piat and a 5 pop Bren Tommy to make it work, so basically you need 9 pop. This requires too much pop if you ask me.

Hard for me to say, but ^^^ Biggest shit ever heard ^^^

Sappers cost only 4 pop, piat + ambush cost 120 ammo. You can also pick mines like I do. I won't repeat myself why piats are that good and if you use them with RCA buffs, they are just OP.

And please do not tell me, that you need button . _.

HOW TO USE SAPPERS WITH PIATS :

1. Place some sandbags behind the obstacle
2. Set some mines nearby
3. Click the "ambush" skill (sandbags)
4. Wait for the enemy tank
5. Fire and enter the building or if it's hedge or sth : do not give a flying fuck.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 12:30:55 pm by GrayWolf » Logged
Scotzmen Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2014, 05:39:22 pm »

HOW TO USE SAPPERS WITH PIATS :

1. Place some sandbags behind the obstacle
2. Set some mines nearby
3. Click the "ambush" skill (sandbags)
4. Wait for the enemy tank
5. Fire and enter the building or if it's hedge or sth : do not give a flying fuck.

Question 1. Did you ever actually play COH?
Question 2. How would you stop your sappers from being rolled by the tank?
Question 3. What if said tank is to fast to hit
Question 4. How you ganna hit it if it's at max range?

PIATs work in a very limited sphere of range. IF the tank is close, they are ganna hit, wether or not it's going fast or not.

Anything from medium to long range, they are going to have trouble. Button was designed for the exact intent of slowing the vehicle down, so piats could get into comfortable range and hit them. Button also worked to slow the vehicle down, so that the piats didn't fall short and the tank proceeded to run over your bren squad, again, so the paits had enough time to get into range and hit home.

Your use on paits is very limited too. What if your paits aren't in range? What if the tank is attacking somwhere else? what if your on the offensive? Tanks can easily kite your paits at long range, so damn easily.

Your argument that paits are well placed in today's game is, for lack of better words, a crock of shit.

No offense.
XIIcorps Offline
Donator

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2014, 06:21:18 pm »

Question 1. Did you ever actually play COH?
Question 2. How would you stop your sappers from being rolled by the tank?
Question 3. What if said tank is to fast to hit
Question 4. How you ganna hit it if it's at max range?

PIATs work in a very limited sphere of range. IF the tank is close, they are ganna hit, wether or not it's going fast or not.

Anything from medium to long range, they are going to have trouble. Button was designed for the exact intent of slowing the vehicle down, so piats could get into comfortable range and hit them. Button also worked to slow the vehicle down, so that the piats didn't fall short and the tank proceeded to run over your bren squad, again, so the paits had enough time to get into range and hit home.

Your use on paits is very limited too. What if your paits aren't in range? What if the tank is attacking somwhere else? what if your on the offensive? Tanks can easily kite your paits at long range, so damn easily.

Your argument that paits are well placed in today's game is, for lack of better words, a crock of shit.

No offense.
exactly this
Every other hhat projectile when it rolls a hit it will hit no matter what and will track its target like a magnet attracts a ferrous metal.

Piats on the other hand require a hitbox detection and if something doesn't block its path of travel it dont hit.

also I've seen piats bounce on marders and HTs, what the fuck is happening there ?

The long and the short of it, piats have the smallest sphere of effective combat situations.

some of My kids i work with shower me Wink
PonySlaystation Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2014, 07:45:40 pm »

give commandos 3 piats on upgrade and lower cost of sapper piats. problem solved Smiley

Sharks are not monsters Henley, they are cute, cuddly and misunderstood. They love humans. sometimes they love TOO much. They love people so much that sometimes their kisses separate people into two flailing pieces which are consumed by other sharks in a frenzy of peace and joy.
XIIcorps Offline
Donator

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2014, 11:22:56 pm »

give commandos 3 piats on upgrade and lower cost of sapper piats. problem solved Smiley
If only pony......
NightRain Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2014, 12:26:06 am »

I like PIATs, simplicity at its finest. It comes on a very cheap platform and can be fired over obstacles which makes them annoying as hell tod eal with and the damage. Hm. potential of 180 damage from PIATs. If its pair of them its even greater. Sure PIATs aren't schrecks or similar, but they do their job imo. Anything that charges them will get hit. If enemy vehicle refuses to come close, well your PIATs are keeping it back. Double sapper squad volley on vehicles often means that vehicle is about to be dead, or forced to go back. The damage potential of it is good.

Ontop of it, once they are down to 2 men each. Its 4 pop and 4 piats. That shit is crazy.

Because a forum post should be like a woman's skirt. Long enough to cover the subject material, but short enough to keep things interesting.
XIIcorps Offline
Donator

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2014, 12:47:49 am »

I like PIATs, simplicity at its finest. It comes on a very cheap platform and can be fired over obstacles which makes them annoying as hell tod eal with and the damage. Hm. potential of 180 damage from PIATs. If its pair of them its even greater. Sure PIATs aren't schrecks or similar, but they do their job imo. Anything that charges them will get hit. If enemy vehicle refuses to come close, well your PIATs are keeping it back. Double sapper squad volley on vehicles often means that vehicle is about to be dead, or forced to go back. The damage potential of it is good.

Ontop of it, once they are down to 2 men each. Its 4 pop and 4 piats. That shit is crazy.
Again saying piats are good for shooting over obstacles, and that's just that how often do shot blockers last in an EIR match.

first heavy out usually destroys them all.

if your attacking they will almost always be gone.

A moving vech will almost never be hit by piats at anyrange other then point blank, and if its point blank you can guarantee your sappers are about to be either run down, or decimated by the inf accompanying the vech.

Saying they are great because they come on a cheap platform is so stupid.
Would MG42's be good if they could be bought for pios ? No because of the low survivability of said units.

Why should we be penalised by this weapon with such high requirements for its effective use.
Should I state pregame I will only play on Carantan because im bringing piats Huh?

that's how silly the argument is that they are good because they shoot over obstacles!

TLDR
The are far to costly on both platforms they are availiable on for the use you get out of them!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 12:49:28 am by XIIcorps » Logged
GrayWolf Offline
Development

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2014, 01:19:28 am »

Okay now, I'll play with my brit coy and show you how to use piats. Is it okay ?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc