Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 21, 2024, 01:40:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coordinaded Artillery ability  (Read 4628 times)
NightRain Offline
EIR Veteran

« on: January 23, 2014, 11:44:55 pm »

Hello, this topic will consist a suggestion for two units. M7 Priest and Stuka zu fuss artillery halftrack. These two units were chosen due to their price, doctrine ability cost and their general onfield precense (Which is rare). This suggestion is a mere idea. I am yet unsure if it can be even done codewise, yet the idea still remains.

I've been playing Dawn of War 2 Retribution for few times a week and I couldn't help but notice that Imperial Guard's Manticore artillery unit has a unique firing method. Instead of it automatically firing its 4 rockets, the player has to manually target each 4 rockets to their targets in a area he chooses to bombard (limited area). After each rocket landing spot has been chosen the manticore fires and creates a warning flare of the area where the shots will land warning the enemy of a incoming manticore strike. He won't know where the rockets will hit though.

This idea above could be given as a ability for these two pieces of Artillery. M7 Priest, which is obsolete in the RCA tree. Its expensive as it costs nearly the same ammount of resources as 3x 25pdrs and 3 doctrine points and also onfield takes 10 pop. Its not the fastest machine either. The second unit I considered this ability for is the Stuka zu Fuss. Also quite expensive unit, expensive doctrine wise and its range isn't known to be the greatest either. Its mostly known to be great in pairs but fielding two of those is 16 pop of artillery. Not very flattering but still devestating.

Now, I'd give the ability to these two pieces of artillery. It'd share the cooldown with the standard barrage, but it can't be fired into fog of war. However, if you get line of sight on your targets, you can click the coordinaded artillery barrage. Choose the general location where the shots will land. Once you selected it, you get to select 6 individual shots in an area around the coordinaded barrage area. Say about 20-30m around it. Once each shot has been selected a single Creeping barrage warning flare will drop down on the ground where the coordinaded barrage area was chosen giving a warning for enemy that barrage is incoming, but he doesn't know where shots will land. This creates panic and ability for the artillery player to predict where enemy will move the units and maybe even splash the area where enemy moved the units. Its at its most devestating when fired at static objectives and slow moving objectives, i.e 88s, 57mms, triage centers, bunkers, etc. Each shot will have minimal scatter though, so that they wouldn't be dead on accurate shots, but would have small scatter within a small area.

The ability could cost resources or come as a free upgrade for these two artillery pieces, however if it has to be a doctrine ability, it could be a tier 3 ability. (Artillery experts, choose the most artillery orientated T3 from RCA). It'd give them unique ability and buff them immensively and even encourage people to finally field some of these, instead of using the usual suspects i.e 25Pdr and nebelwerfer. Thoughts?

tl;dr

Ability for M7 Priest/Stuka to choose target area and then individually set each six of the shell to land where player wants them to land instead of automatically firing at a target area.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 01:43:44 pm by NightRain » Logged

Because a forum post should be like a woman's skirt. Long enough to cover the subject material, but short enough to keep things interesting.
GrayWolf Offline
Development

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 11:53:35 am »

This looks like a wall... Sorry, can you make it shorter... or add some pictures... I don't like books you see :/

NightRain Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 01:43:24 pm »

Fine to those who don't read things

tl;dr

Ability for M7 Priest/Stuka to choose target area and then individually set each six of the shell to land where player wants them to land instead of automatically firing at a target area.
Uglysori Offline
EIR Veteran

The very best player of one of the four factions.

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 03:59:26 pm »

With no scatter?
XIIcorps Offline
Donator

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 04:04:57 pm »

The glaring problem with the preist is that
1. It costs 3x a 25pdr and 5 pop more field presence
2. It offers nothing a 25pdr dosent while also requiring a t3 unlock

The priest should offer either more shells per volley or greater cool down on creeping barrage vs 25pdr

some of My kids i work with shower me Wink
ick312 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 04:34:07 pm »

The glaring problem with the preist is that
1. It costs 3x a 25pdr and 5 pop more field presence
2. It offers nothing a 25pdr dosent while also requiring a t3 unlock

The priest should offer either more shells per volley or greater cool down on creeping barrage vs 25pdr

The advantage of the priest compared to the arty emplacement is its mobility. 25 pounder are easy targets for v1, flanking units, infiltrators etc.
t3 unlock for a moving arty? sounds fair doesnt need any buff compared to a easy target.

I don't know Wind, that whole 21 virgins thing kinda peaked my interest a little .......
From fucking kids to fucking christ, jesus heartmann. Just stop already you filthy monster, you are only making it worse
aeroblade56 Offline
Development

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 05:36:12 pm »

Priest is shite.

It has no quality other than mobility. but like 12thcorps said you can take 3x25lbr and be fine. 

The hummel Has a great splash that no other arty can compare to and has another AOE that cuts off part of the map for sometime it also can get smoke which granted is very hit or miss but no other artillery piece has it.

Sure it can get creeping but just take a 25lbr and accomplish the same whilst getting all the offmaps you like.

You are welcome to your opinion.

You are also welcome to be wrong.
XIIcorps Offline
Donator

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 07:20:56 pm »

Priest is shite.

It has no quality other than mobility. but like 12thcorps said you can take 3x25lbr and be fine. 

The hummel Has a great splash that no other arty can compare to and has another AOE that cuts off part of the map for sometime it also can get smoke which granted is very hit or miss but no other artillery piece has it.

Sure it can get creeping but just take a 25lbr and accomplish the same whilst getting all the offmaps you like.

both are t3 unlocks.
yet priests 12 pop and hummel is 10 go figure ?
NightRain Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 12:07:52 am »

both are t3 unlocks.
yet priests 12 pop and hummel is 10 go figure ?

They are both 10 pop.

The same weaknesses that 25Pdr has apply also to M7 Priest. Sure it can move away from V1 and most of us know that emplacement have known to have survived anything but a direct V1 hit.

Ugly, it would have small scatter.
XIIcorps Offline
Donator

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 05:55:38 am »

I don't think you guys understand the coding required for this to work.

honestly nice idea, but should stick to more fiesable ideas.

Like tigs more rounds per volley but higher arc and slightly reduced projectile speed.
tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2014, 10:31:15 am »

I think this idea would be extremely low on our priority list to be honest. I think it is a cool idea though.

Geez, while Wind was banned I forgot that he is, in fact, totally insufferable
I'm not going to lie Tig, 9/10 times you open your mouth, I'm overwhelmed with the urge to put my foot in it.
nikomas Offline
Shameless Perv

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 10:57:01 am »

And a broken animation since it's not rigged to fire high angle.

"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing—after they've tried everything else."

Quote from: PonySlaystation
The officer is considerably better than a riflemen squad at carrying weapons. Officers have good accuracy so they will hit most targets.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc