Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 10:51:34 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[Yesterday at 09:46:19 pm]

[April 06, 2024, 02:26:25 am]

[March 22, 2024, 01:44:39 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:13 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]

[December 14, 2022, 12:10:06 am]
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 4p_Vengeance  (Read 5559 times)
CrazyWR Offline
EIR Veteran

« on: June 30, 2014, 04:48:32 pm »

So I played a 2v2 on this map the other day.  I don't mind the map really, but there are a few things I would like addressed by a mapper who knows how.

1) The map is sectored unfairly.  The top side receives 4 sectors in their first 2 lines, which are pretty much going to be theirs all game, while the bottom side receives 5.  This needs corrected, or the top side will be at a disadvantage territory wise even if they have half the map.  This is the most important issue, the rest are just little things.

2) There are certain things that are shotblockers on the left side of the map around the middle like a busted glider and whatnot that really hamper pathing and movement.  Not sure they help gameplay, but it is a stylistic thing, so not a huge deal.

3) Bridges...really should get removed.  They serve virtually no purpose.

1. New tactics? it's like JAWS, first one in the water dies

RCA-land where shells fall like raindrops and the Captain is an invincible god
XIIcorps Offline
Donator

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 05:17:47 pm »

Those gliders barely affect pathing, and actually give any units taking cover chance or chances to not  be hit. Like say how your TA hit it instead of my inf.

The bridges are not an issue seeing they are barely longer then a Churchill,  and the river gullies that they bridge are completly passable with light cover instead of the usualy negative water cover.

some of My kids i work with shower me Wink
tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 06:16:28 pm »

Darsins Panther would not cross those bridges for some reason in our game.

Geez, while Wind was banned I forgot that he is, in fact, totally insufferable
I'm not going to lie Tig, 9/10 times you open your mouth, I'm overwhelmed with the urge to put my foot in it.
XIIcorps Offline
Donator

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 07:17:16 pm »

Darsins Panther would not cross those bridges for some reason in our game.
thats an odd one, were the bridges 100% intact or damged ?
tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 07:23:49 pm »

Don't know TBH
XIIcorps Offline
Donator

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 08:38:04 pm »

Unless other units also used the bridges fine, my only explanation could be that they were destroyed, whilst only showing damaged models.
TheArea Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 07:17:49 am »

12, I think its precisely for that reason that bridges are a silly design feature for EiR maps, i.e. they don't contribute in an positive way to game play they only narrow one's options and create bottlenecks.

Also, the general lay out of Vengance is pretty awful.  The map is basically cut in half (say east to west) by a wall of hedges on one side, and a couple of houses on the other.  This wall is then bisected by a road right down the middle... a death trap really.  So you have three narrow strips through which to attack and whoever gets that ground first has an advantage and lets itself to campy game play, and if Crazy is right about sectoring then that only encourages that style of game.
XIIcorps Offline
Donator

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 07:53:59 am »

The bridges dont create bottlenecks, as the entire ground surrounding them is passable terrain.

Most of the short blockers on the map are hedges, hedges are destroyable and  thus opening the map up.

Sure it could use a little polish, but I hardly think the one game and loss you played on it makes with worthy of being counted out.
tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 07:59:59 am »

I agree corps/ This may be another example where a person looses a battle on a map and instantly labels it a bad map.

I thought the map was OK except for the bridges / city part. I find it very awkward navigating through that city to get my units out of spawn.

I never got to play the right side at all, so perhaps I should save my judgement for another day?
nikomas Offline
Shameless Perv

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 08:15:19 am »

I like the map in general tbh, some issues but nothing game breakingly bad.

"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing—after they've tried everything else."

Quote from: PonySlaystation
The officer is considerably better than a riflemen squad at carrying weapons. Officers have good accuracy so they will hit most targets.
TheArea Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2014, 08:19:20 am »

The bridges dont create bottlenecks, as the entire ground surrounding them is passable terrain.

Uhm, of course they do.  Im not sure how you can say terrain around it is passable if it needs to be crushed first, that seems contradictory.   Think of it this way, since that hedge wall is at the center of the map who wants to risk AT fire just to crush the hedges?  That produces campy play, because of map design, and that's the problem.  

Also, no one mentioned any game in particular, so that comment is kind of pointless, what we were talking about was map design, and specifically bridges.  Maybe they are eye candy, but dont do anything positive for game play.  Rather, they tend to produce bottlenecks, particularly for pathing.
tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 11:20:03 am »

what we were talking about was map design, and specifically bridges.  Maybe they are eye candy, but dont do anything positive for game play.  Rather, they tend to produce bottlenecks, particularly for pathing.

The "Bridges" in 4p_Vengeance do not create campy game play or cause any pathing issues as the terrain around them is open & passable.

With the exception of Darsin's panther being unable to cross the bridge (we have determined that was most likely due to damage), there were no pathing issues or campy game play attributed to the bridges.

Hedges on the other hand is another discussion. I did not have any issues with hedges.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc