Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:08:02 am

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[March 10, 2024, 03:58:45 pm]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:13 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]

[December 14, 2022, 12:10:06 am]

[September 22, 2022, 06:57:30 am]
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dev Team--assemble!  (Read 10451 times)
TheVolskinator Offline
Administrator / Lead Developer

« on: October 15, 2018, 09:29:49 pm »

Though I hate to admit it, development of EiR has quite obviously slowed down considerably over the past half a year or so. With total responsibility for all aspects of the mod, I've been ground down by the very large range of things I need to divide my attention between. I've put on weight--over 30 lbs--started losing sleep, turned into an even more irritable jerkoff than I usually am, and my wonderful complexion is now adorned with deep, dark bags under my eyes. Yet, I'll be damned if I don't see the mod through to completion.

To that end, I'm looking to (re)-form an EiR dev team. I already have people in mind for a few positions, but I figured I should post what I'm looking for up front.

I want to be 100% clear: balance will remain within my clammy, angry grasp. A balance team is not currently on the cards, and won't be for some time.

Discord/Forum Moderator
   Desc: Moderates! Handles the Discord and forum, rooting out spam and (unreasonable) troll posts. Will wield the power of the allmighty banhammer.
   Req: Being a responsible, personable human being.
   Currently considered: Unkn0wn

Launcher Coder
   Desc: Tinkers with the "hardcoded" aspects of the launcher, those that we previously have waited on EiRRMod to perform.
   Req: Experience with C# (NOT C++, as has been erroneously stated by myself in the past) and an extreme amount of patience. According to EiRR mod, the setup is far worse than the code itself, though the code is a hot mess that he can only describe with nervous giggles when we've spoken on Discord.
   Currently considered: AlphaTIG and IllegalCarrot
   Note: I talked w. EiRRMod on the subject and he agreed that coordinating an effort between all three of you would be for the best. We're playing it by ear currently, so I'll do my best to keep you posted.

Mapper
   Desc: Creates/modifies maps for use in EiR.
   Req: Reasonable skill and experience w. CoH mapping tools. Willing to modify their works for the betterment of the mod, even if it means making an unwanted change to one of their maps.
   Currently considered: Unkn0wn; open to further application

Public Relations
   Desc: Interacts with the community, sifting through balance requests, mod interests, concerns, etc.
   Req: Patience! I'd be lying if I said this wasn't one of the most taxing parts of development. I'm not a very good people person, so trying to keep on top of being goodguyVolskinator as well as hardassdevSkinator has been a balancing act.
   Currently considered: Open to all applicants*
   *Sorry Shab/Terra/Speedy. I love you all to bits but y'all can be silly sometimes. Hugs n' kisses.

SCAR/SQL Coder
   Desc: Handles SCAR/SQL code. The latter controls many aspects of the launcher, those that aren't "hardcoded" (only handle-able by EiRRmod himself).
   Req: SCAR/SQL knowledge. The former is 100% alien to myself, so any experience is passable here. The latter I'm mostly familiar with, so getting whoever fills this role up to speed will be a continuous process. The work isn't too hard and if need be can be shouldered by myself on a limited basis.
   Currently considered: IllegalCarrot
   Note: These may be considered separate roles if the person in question lacks experience in either field.

Secondary RGD Coder
   Desc: Handles the grunt work; easy RGD tasks such as simple/large scale changes (i.e. implementing a new repair ability across all vehicles), and, in the future, some of the more simple doctrines.
   Req: Basic RGD knowledge. Able to run Corsix without instruction, able to code basic abilities, modify weapons/unit stats, and so on, all without consultation. More advanced coding to be done in tandem with or upon advice from myself.
   Currently considered: AlphaTIG

Steam Release
   Desc: Coordinate with SgtConti and the Steam Team to get EiR ready for release on Steam. This process has been very taxing on myself and I'd be eager to see it placed in the hands of someone else.
   Req: Communication skills (w. Conti) and at least basic familiarity with packing builds and assets for use with Steam. Coordination with Conti will likely be imperative in that regard.
   Currently considered: Open to all applicants

Tester
   Desc: Acts as one of the mods' guinea pigs. Will have early access to patches, and will be expected to play varied company/unit builds to check for bugs or missing content. Will be given early access to patchnotes on the grounds of never, ever sharing them before the patch is actually released. Failure to follow this guideline will result immediate loss of tester status--no exceptions, no second chances.
   Req: Able and willing to play a variety of units and builds upon request. Ability to keep a secret--no blabbermouths.
   Currently considered: Open to all applicants

I'd like to discuss the matter two weekends from now in Discord, with TIG, Unkn0wn, and Carrot specifically. I'll be unavailable for much of this week as I've been slammed with mandatory overtime for Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday (18-21 Oct.)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 09:50:38 pm by TheVolskinator » Logged

Quote from: tank130
I want to ensure we have a 100% decision on the process before we do the wipe.
If not, then I wipe, then someone gets something they shouldn't, then it gets abused, then the shit hits the fan and then I ban shab.

Getting EiR:R Released on Steam

Forum Rules & Guidelines
Tachibana Offline
NotADev

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 09:41:49 pm »

When is comes to RGD/SQL and SCAR stuff, I had absolutely no experience with any of those things other then occasionally opening up corsix to find a few stats here and there. However, after about a month I was able to get a hold of both RGD and SQL and after about 2 months, I was able to at least understand what the SCAR was up to and copy/paste certain code blocks to replicate abilities.

So, if you have any interest at all in helping code, develop and understand EIR at a more core level, I encourage you to at least try it out. It really is not as complex as it first looks once you get over that initial hurdle.

Even though I have been off the dev team for almost over a year now, If anyone needs some help on these things, I'd be more than willing to make a few video tutorials on how to Test, read some SCAR blocks, linking Luacon/SQL and similar things.

I implore anyone with a few hours of free time a week to volunteer. Literally nothing for you to lose but plenty to gain if you actually enjoy this mod.

It's like saying "i can understand his concerns that fire breathing dragons live in far away lands"
americans dont dodge wars.
Quote from: Trapfabricator
Literally, The only thing less likely than this is zombie hitler becoming prime minister of israel
TheIcelandicManiac Offline
Resident forum troll. Fucked unkn0wns mom

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 07:39:30 pm »

Req: Being a responsible, personable human being.

Well i tried boys

And take care of yourself volsky, don't make me come over there and take you on the best diet in the world. A coke binge
And just take care of yourself
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 07:50:57 pm by TheIcelandicManiac » Logged

Quote from: Grundwaffe
Soon™
gj icelandic i am proud of u  Smiley
Sometimes its like PQ doesnt carrot all.

Work Harder
Illegal_Carrot Offline
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 02:50:33 am »

Excited to be back playing EiR, and even more excited to see where the mod is going!

Now, while I'm 100% down to help out, I actually have no knowledge or understanding of C# so you might want to take me off of that one. That being said, I could try my hand at moderation, public relations / social media, RGD coding, and working on the Steam release.

Rifle87654: Give me reward points.
Brn4meplz: I'm drunk.
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 07:14:16 am »

Happy to help out where I can, and I'll be around the weekend after next then to discuss this on Discord!

NightRain Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 07:27:41 am »

I am a tester by profession and have C# experience.

I can take a gander at the launcher because it irks me the most.

Because a forum post should be like a woman's skirt. Long enough to cover the subject material, but short enough to keep things interesting.
Shabtajus Offline
EIR Veteran

The very best player of one of the four factions.

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 10:51:12 am »

Can tester give TA himself and later on keep it and use in regular for better testing experience?

I feel like if Smokaz and Shab met up it would be a 50/50 tossup to see which one of them robbed the other first.
Tries to convince people he's a good guy,says things like this. Scumbag Shab.
Tachibana Offline
NotADev

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2018, 10:58:49 am »

Can tester give TA himself and later on keep it and use in regular for better testing experience?

This is testing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UzZA_77zBw
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2018, 11:21:08 am »

Also, I nominate Dire to handle the steam release
Mysthalin Offline
Tired King of Stats

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2018, 01:57:03 pm »

You forgot crotchetty old man yelling stats at people as one of the positions.

TheIcelandicManiac Offline
Resident forum troll. Fucked unkn0wns mom

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2018, 05:45:05 pm »

You forgot crotchetty old man yelling stats at people as one of the positions.
Not required, they already have you.
Shabtajus Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2018, 01:39:12 pm »

Also, I nominate Dire to handle the steam release

Nah, it’s a bad nomination tbh. Dire is known for failing keep his promises
shockcoil Offline
griefer & spammer
EIR Veteran

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2018, 09:51:43 am »

i m the good balance man pls giv balance team

Shabtajus Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2018, 01:00:10 pm »

i m the good balance man pls giv balance team

If u will give me TA i will vote4u David
Illegal_Carrot Offline
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2018, 11:28:20 am »

So when's the Discord meet planned for? I have work today and tomorrow, so hopefully I can make it.
Tachibana Offline
NotADev

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2018, 12:11:14 pm »

Just have discord open and I imagine volsky will contact you when its time.
Shabtajus Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2018, 02:14:45 pm »

Just have discord open and I imagine volsky will contact you when its time.

So serious, i say like illiumimanty level seriousness
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc