Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:26:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[March 22, 2024, 01:44:39 am]

[March 10, 2024, 03:58:45 pm]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:13 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]

[December 14, 2022, 12:10:06 am]

[September 22, 2022, 06:57:30 am]
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Helping Newer Players.  (Read 4548 times)
_Shodan_ Offline
EIR Regular

« on: October 02, 2018, 07:04:23 am »

Hi - Shodan here!

So I recently started playing EIR and I have to say I love what I am seeing so far. However there were a few things that really threw me off during the 'signing up' process that I feel like could be streamlined (hoping this is the right place to post it lol).

First of all, the guide seems a little outdated in terms of what you need to do, some of the links fail to function and there is a heavy emphasis on joining Ventrilo even though its been replaced by Discord? (Afaik - I couldn't get the vent to run :/). I feel like a major update of the forum guide would really help new guys join, as people tend to make their minds up within the first couple of minutes when looking at new things.

Secondly, perhaps adding a new starter area on the discord with a pinned message that just shows the kinda people they can tag or ask in terms of getting into the game. One of the issues I faced is joining discord, seeing a couple of people in channels and being a little apprehensive on joining the channel as I tend to be quite nervous around new people.

Like I could go through the guide and make a list of things which could use some amendment if that would be helpful - just feel like the mod really needs to be accessible as possible in terms of how old COH is now.

Anyway let me know if this needs to move places on the forums or if its a good/bad idea. Just trying to help out!

-Shodan

Sometimes British is best Wink
skaffa Offline
Honoured Member

The very best player of one of the four factions.

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 08:57:47 am »

Fo Shodan

Quote from: deadbolt
bad luck skaffa>  creates best and most played eir maps
                      >  hated for creating best and most played eir maps

Quote from: Tachibana
47k new all time record?

Quote from: deadbolt
Don't knock it til uve tried it bitchface, this isn't anything like salads version. Besides u said a semois conversion would never work, now look that's the most played map, ohgodwhy.jpg r u map lead
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 07:39:53 am »

Hi there and welcome! These are great ideas. Definitely agree with your assessment of the guides on the forums and if you'd be willing to provide some updates in light of your own experience of being new to the mod, I think we can certainly include that/update the guides. Its been a long time since someone last looked at them, so any help on this would be really great.

One problem with the forums in my opinion is that it's a bit of an outdated format for players to communicate on and be introduced to the mod in. The guides are still very useful, provided they can be updated, but there's so much other cluttered information around on here given how long the mod's been around for that perhaps we should also just look to wipe a bunch of old stuff and start anew to some extent. (We really need someone who knows how to operate SMF and the back-end code to fix things)

i also really like the idea of making better use of discord for new players, with a starter area and some pinned messages that lay out the basics.
koimn6 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 08:34:27 am »

New player.. so hentai

HOPE FOR MANDO! GLORIOUS!

Quote from: Mister Schmidt link=topic=28726.msg494081;#msg49408
50mm has always been fine exactly as it is, nothing is happening to it.
_Shodan_ Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 01:13:49 pm »

New player.. so hentai

I...uh...okay...?

Fo Shodan

Fo skaffa

Hi there and welcome! These are great ideas. Definitely agree with your assessment of the guides on the forums and if you'd be willing to provide some updates in light of your own experience of being new to the mod, I think we can certainly include that/update the guides. Its been a long time since someone last looked at them, so any help on this would be really great.

One problem with the forums in my opinion is that it's a bit of an outdated format for players to communicate on and be introduced to the mod in. The guides are still very useful, provided they can be updated, but there's so much other cluttered information around on here given how long the mod's been around for that perhaps we should also just look to wipe a bunch of old stuff and start anew to some extent. (We really need someone who knows how to operate SMF and the back-end code to fix things)

i also really like the idea of making better use of discord for new players, with a starter area and some pinned messages that lay out the basics.

Hey Unkn0wn,

Thanks for the welcome and the response, and yeah I don't mind laying down a few things as to what I experienced when new. Most of it was just how dated the forums (and some of the information on them) was - I even turned to my friend and had a chuckle about the 2009 vibes I was getting from the site.

Couple of key issues I can set out for you now:

1. The totally outdated Ventrilo links posted around the forums. They do not seem to work anymore, and besides when I wanted to get into the game it was through people I found on discord - not that other chat program. Perhaps replace the references to Vent with ones to discord? If this is done you could then have the introduction channel on Discord be the default along with any information you wanted to post there.

2. The part in step 5 about making your name match your relic online profile threw me off a little, I actually had to experiment myself before realizing if you have the steam version of COH you just put your steam name in there. A solution would be to include the steps for if the user owns the game on steam. The ending of step 5 is also worded awkwardly.

3. All videos for the guide are a little outdated, missing certain launcher features out or just having broken links entirely. This was a little off putting to me as a new player as it lead me to question how well the mod is supported these days. Luckily I persevered, however other new players may not.

4. PP - from what I have gathered PP seems to be broken and meaningless - I can put myself into large negative amounts of PP (or for the Brits they even start with a negative amount) and there doesn't seem to be any consequences.

With the issues of the dated forums, it depends roughly on opinion. The forums could do with a bit of a visual update as they do look a bit rough however this obviously would take time and experienced developers. I'd offer to help but my own experience in web dev is limited, as I have only just started my course in it and personal interest != experience.

Last of all, materials on how to improve as a player would be of great use as currently I am in a position where I would really like to improve, but am unsure on how (other than to keep trying different things and see how they go).

Hope my short evaluation was of some use, and if you would like to chat some more about discord feel free to PM me as I do run a few servers.

Many thanks,

Shodan.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc