Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 21, 2024, 03:49:16 am

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]
Poll
Question: Which map rates the highest for you, in terms of enjoyment while playing the current version of EiR?
Abbeville - 14 (36.8%)
Bastion - 15 (39.5%)
Dawn - 2 (5.3%)
St Lambert - 2 (5.3%)
St Vith - 1 (2.6%)
Radar Station - 0 (0%)
Hurtgen Snow - 0 (0%)
Ardenne Valley - 2 (5.3%)
Westfallen - 1 (2.6%)
Industrial Heartland - 1 (2.6%)
Hoffenstrughen - 0 (0%)
Rocky Highlands - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 37

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which 3 v 3 do you ENJOY the most?  (Read 5557 times)
salan
« on: March 20, 2008, 01:13:12 pm »

Please vote, and reply with what your vote was and WHY you chose it.

Think of features of the map that make it playble and what you like from it. 

IE can you play the map as both attacker and defender?
can you enjoy the game you are playing on that map, most times.
Can you make progress on this map?
are the sectors friendly to the system, or abusable?

this is not about map LOOKS, this is about enjoyment on a playability level.

please also make a list of your most liked if you want, ie #1 blah, #2 blah... whichever.
salan
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 01:15:09 pm »

I chose bastion as my pick.  My second would be Lambert.  I would choose these two maps strickly because they work around MCP to completely nullify the popcap loss in almost all games played on them.

Defenders are not spread out over an area where they can not support each others.

Attackers have multiple avenues of attack on both maps.

Popcap loss is easily nullified meaning I get to actually play the game from start to finish and lose on the fact that I actually lose, rather then a game function that hinders and punishes.
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 01:18:16 pm »

Bastion & St.Lambert are a lot more new than Abbeville, which has been played to death so they'll likely come out on top Wink.
Fulltimekiller Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 01:19:43 pm »

to attack i choose abbi but to defend i choose lambert

i need to try bastion
salan
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 01:23:39 pm »

Bastion & St.Lambert are a lot more new than Abbeville, which has been played to death so they'll likely come out on top Wink.

its not about new, its about functionality.

Abbeville is a lot easier to attack then defend.  you all go 1 direction you are gauranteed to fight 1 defender at first, and a second as he swaps to help.  Not all 3.

in bastion and lambert you will almost always HAVE to hit 2 enemies minimum. in bastion the swamp side of the city is so close they can flank any swamp road push easily, but to send any less then 2 people at the actual city would mean defeat.  in lambert the forest is a nice flanking move but the defenders are always in the church area, in teh middle and on the edge of the road defending the forest, meaning they are within each others reach easily. 

abbeville is also very mcp dependant if you don't manage to break into everyone of the defenders spots. THE ATTACKERS MUST break the defense in all parts of the map to maintain even Mcp.  Bastion you regularly see fights in the city where one side owns half and the other side owns the other half.  So you do not need to completely break the defense to limit mcp, nor do the defenders truly get to stall the attack if it is set up correctly.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 01:25:14 pm by salan » Logged
Thtb-Ally Offline
The German Guy on the Ally side?
EIR Veteran

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 01:24:11 pm »

6_p_Sonnenaufgang a.k.a. BridgeIIland

Lolto Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 01:25:04 pm »

As to not be obviously biased, instead of voting for my own maps, I voted for Abbeville.  The map is well balanced, granted a little wide for my taste but a fun map nonetheless.  While not as many games may be played on it as before, it is still in my opinion one of the premiere maps for EIR, and will be a favorite for quite some time.

My second choice would be Lambert, I do love meat grinders which is why my maps are always designed around that concept.  Lambert offers an open but rural environment to wreck havoc upon while still being surprisingly well balanced, the only thing left for it would be making it finalized.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 01:28:37 pm by Lolto » Logged

Life or Lack There Of
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 01:26:01 pm »

its not about new, its about functionality.

Abbeville is a lot easier to attack then defend.  you all go 1 direction you are gauranteed to fight 1 defender at first, and a second as he swaps to help.  Not all 3.

in bastion and lambert you will almost always HAVE to hit 2 enemies minimum, the swamp side of the city is so close they can flank any swamp road push easily, but to send any less then 2 people at the actual city would mean defeat. 

abbeville is also very mcp dependant if you don't manage to break into everyone of the defenders spots. THE ATTACKERS MUST break the defense in all parts of the map to maintain even Mcp.  Bastion you regularly see fights in the city where one side owns half and the other side owns the other half.  So you do not need to completely break the defense to limit mcp, nor do the defenders truly get to stall the attack if it is set up correctly.

Abbeville was built for VP mode, let's not forget that Wink.
Who knows, maybe one day I'll release an update.
Eleven Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 01:28:04 pm »

I was thinking about Bastion, because it's extremely fun and balanced. Radar Station is also very intense and bloody, and I like it because of the bottleneck you can create between the two hardpoints.

But I voted Abbeville, because it can cater to different play styles: if you like mortaring and  doing things from behind the front lines, you can hold the Chateau; if you like being in the brunt of the action, you can attack or defend the town. I don't know what to call the graveyard but it's usually a mix of both, and extreme flanking.
Smithy17 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2008, 01:28:18 pm »

St Lambert.
I think just because I like urban maps and I'm not too fond of westfallen.
Abbeville is a close second
Razor Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 01:33:29 pm »

Abbeville.

Reason: It's abbeville damnit Tongue. No, i've had the best games on this map. Its one of the more balanced 3v3's. Sectors might needs some tweakage due to them being big thus, abuseable.

Second has to be Bastion, just because it has the best sector layout for that the map is centered around. Making it one of the more balanced 3v3's.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 01:39:33 pm by Razor » Logged

Profile's: Duvka, Razor, KleinInDerHosen, Akvud.
salan
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2008, 01:38:24 pm »

I guess the question was worded about enjoyment, and not actual functional... doh , glad to see the diversity here, and yes radar station, oO.
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2008, 02:01:11 pm »

I guess the question was worded about enjoyment, and not actual functional... doh , glad to see the diversity here, and yes radar station, oO.

Indeed, that's why I pointed out that Abbeville/Radar Station/Ardenne Valley has already been played to death so people might find them less enjoyable to play nowadays Wink.
Should do the same for 2vs2 Salan. It's interesting to see.
scrapking Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2008, 02:11:33 pm »

First, Abbeville, primarily because I don't feel it has a bias toward attack or defense.  The sector layouts, while not perfect, are not fatally flawed either.  Its big enough to offer flanking opportunities, but small enough to allow for at least a defensive skirmish line.  Terrain and primary features drive the focal points.  The map often features games with single or multiple salients.  And, it has Chateau.

St. Lambert is a close second.  The sectors are better thought out (MCP was out when it was reduxed), but it plays out more linearly than Abbeville, more like a progressed advance.  I do not say that as a bad thing, merely a different thing.   No Chateau though, have to make due with a church.  The dense urban map center is often a breeding ground for a bloodbath.

Bastion is a fun, well done map, but personally I would much rather defend it than attack it.  I don't feel that same reservation, or at least as strongly, on the above two.  I haven't played it enough to intimately comment on sector layout.

Honorable mention to Ardenne Valley (which actually plays out alot better as a 4v4, imo), and Industrial Heartland.
Razor Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2008, 02:13:40 pm »

I haven't played it enough to intimately comment on sector layout.

Wear a condom. Tongue
Lolto Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2008, 02:14:45 pm »

I haven't played it enough to intimately comment on sector layout.

Wear a condom. Tongue

I can tell you now, that Bastion is clean, man. Tongue
CommanderNewbie Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2008, 02:16:27 pm »

Abbeville, because "overplayed" counts for something in my book.

CommanderNewbie - Allied
Prydefalcn - Axis
jackmccrack Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2008, 02:19:09 pm »

I've only played 3 of those maps, but I hope to try all of them eventually.

Let's talk about PIATs in a car.
Lolto Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2008, 08:41:42 pm »

*achoo*
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc