Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 11:24:50 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 26, 2024, 09:37:35 am]

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Final] Westfalen (6)  (Read 12524 times)
Steinmarder Offline
EIR Veteran

« on: March 30, 2008, 09:09:58 am »

FOR NEW PLAYERS: HAVE A LOOK AT THE SECTOR LAYOUT BEFORE YOU START YOUR GAME, ITS DIFFERENT TO STANDART RELIC MAPS AS ITS DESIGNED FOR MCP GAMEPLAY

Time for a new topic, as changes to the gameplayish stuff is done

last changes:

- minor changes to the roads/buildings allowing faster movement in the main town area

- minor sector changes for a more logical layout

- some changes/additions to the look of the map, weatheroptions

http://files.filefront.com/6p+Westfalensga/;10096658;/fileinfo.html

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 12:17:31 pm by Steinmarder » Logged

Klagt nicht, kämpft!
Skunker Offline
Koenigstiger Panzerfuehrer
EIR Veteran

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 09:16:24 am »

That is one of the most disgusting loading screens i have ever seen for a map. Do you want me to make you an NIS one?

Steinmarder Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 09:19:01 am »

i only cut out the center and made it very low quality jpg so i dont put so much traffic on the website

same for the sector layout where it really doesnt matter

Edit: this is the original one, still lowered in quality a bit to get it from 2.5 to 1.5mb, and its intended to look like a painted picture rather than an ingame screenshot.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 04:27:06 am by Steinmarder » Logged
TheDeadlyShoe Offline
Weapon of Math Destruction
EIR Veteran

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 06:32:06 pm »

Hmmm... so you cut it up a bit?
ANiichts Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 07:31:19 am »

i'm pretty sure the Rough Pastels effect from photoshop is just...random~
I wouldnt say its better, or makes me think of a painting.  it makes me think of filters.  Tongue
Steinmarder Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 08:08:37 am »

FOR NEW PLAYERS: HAVE A LOOK AT THE SECTOR LAYOUT BEFORE YOU START YOUR GAME, ITS DIFFERENT TO STANDART RELIC MAPS AS ITS DESIGNED FOR MCP GAMEPLAY
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 10:53:24 am by Steinmarder » Logged
Ucross Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 08:15:13 am »

The loading screen is nice, but put the text overtop of the picture in a nice clear font IMO.
Kolath Offline
Commander, 2nd Infantry Division

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 08:51:52 am »

I'd say your better off doing a slight blur filter and then a slight film grain.  I can make one tonight that looks like the CoH loading screens if you want.  If you are interested, PM me a link to the full quality image file.

Kolath's Quote Commandments:
1. Thou shalt not quote the entirety of a post 3 or less posts above you
2. Thou shalt not quote more than 2 nested levels
3. Thou shalt not quote large blocks of text when one sentence would do
4. Thou shalt not quote images!
Niichts Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 08:56:19 am »

geeee, i guess ill make the next versions of my maps without any loading screen whatsoever, as it seems more important than the damn map

This is probably because there are no clear pictures of the actual map in this thread~~~
Steinmarder Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 09:47:04 am »

allright, thought enough ppl know the map and how it looks, didnt take into account that the community is growing and growind, so here are some fresh screenshots of the map

« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 10:55:06 am by Steinmarder » Logged
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2008, 11:25:17 am »

I'll look into adding this to the final list & mappack together with Ardenne Valley soon.
Keep in mind some possible last changes might have to be made.
Steinmarder Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2008, 04:26:26 pm »

I could play my very first game of the version today and it was amazing.

The map plays excactly as intended and is really fair to both sides now (unless someone discoveres some crazy shit I missed  Wink )

Fighting in the town is also way more fluent now with the small changes to building positions and road size I made (i deleted a building near the church and put all the buildings in the area a bit away from the roads to make up space for tank movement, works good. We actually had tank fights rolling (!!) Smiley in the street behind the church where one got more or less stuck in the former version)

Also the sector layout goes hand in hand with taking the rows of houses now, making it feel logic and giving very few possibilities to "hide at the edge" (decreasing the "hedgerow neighborhood" sector in size was also good in that matter)

Weather options are also doing fine, maybe ill add a third one for high end pcs, with rain and storm and stuff in the middle of the night but that has time.

I dont think I will release a new version in the next 2 or 3 weeks, as its really playing good now and a lot of games should be played (by me) before i make a "final hotfix" with some visual finetuning and anything that comes up (which should be few or nothing now).

I do agree tho that the loading screen doesnt look as good as intended  Grin
GamerAndyAlly Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2008, 11:41:35 pm »

Yeah,
So this map totally broken in in MCP
my team blitzed on, rushed the southern point (which we assumed would be a powerful area to launch attacks from) and set up show, only to discover that the sector layout didn't actually give you any pop unless you were in the middle of the city.  The entire northern half of the map has no territories at all, the whole thing is incredibly misleading to people playing for the first time

How about in the flavor text you mention that if you want any pop, you have to bumrush the middle of the city

replay attached, take this map and hurtgen snow off the official list, THEY ARE BROKEN

So theres no more confusion:
http://wiki.onlinegamers.org/index.php?title=Cry_more_noob%3F

If necessary, I can also provide links a useful definition of Sarcasm
zomgzombiescalliope Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2008, 11:45:28 pm »

Note: look at your tactical map before picking an area to attack.  It shows you the sector layout.
GamerAndyAlly Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2008, 11:48:57 pm »

Looking at the map when you choose to play it for the first time, there is no way to tell that it is a "only city streets count for MCP" map - This is a HUGE difference over standard EIR maps and needs to be made very clear or you'll end up with people planning their attacks so they move on areas that have great tactical value and 0 MCP value - By the time we had realized our mistake, we had already completely committed AND had brought on troops unsuited for city fighting, thinking we'd be engaging the defenders around their flanks

Little did we know that in the magical world of Westfalen, the flanks have 0 MCP value
Steinmarder Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2008, 10:53:45 am »

Kolath Offline

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2008, 09:26:21 pm »

Steinmarder, you should consider tweaking the sectors a bit in the center of the town.  It is too easy to hold some of the sectors by putting an MG on one far side.
EchoAlpha Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2008, 09:39:00 pm »

Honestly, I love the layout of the map, but the sectors are difficult.  Having sectors shaped to only follow roads etc.  I like how the map is expansive and allows for flanking.  However, because of the shape and connectivity of the sectors you have to attack and destroy the most fortified sector in order to even capture a single territory.  Flanking is helpful, however even if you take out the rear echelon, if there are 2-3 mgs holed up in a building in a sector you cant cap it before the entire next wave moves up and reinforces.  Additionally, that long sector on the south that follows the road is far allows for the right side of the map to initiate a flanking push that can cause a back cap to happen, but you can't do the same thing from the other direction because you run smack into the sector that is the hardest fought for and the defenders always have fortified. 
Kolath Offline

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2008, 09:45:57 pm »

Well said, Echo.  Having the flanking road sector is crucial to preventing a meatgrinding stalemate, but it needs to be a more viable flank by connecting to additional back sectors on the other side.  I'm attaching a replay of a match we just had.  We (Axis) had severely beaten them back, but lost due to MCP and some freaking MGs that refused to die!

Battle 6667

Steinmarder Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2008, 12:59:00 am »

Thanks for the input, ill have a look at the replay when i am home from work, hopefully no patch comes out til than
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc