Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 21, 2024, 01:42:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Research ... just an Idea  (Read 6361 times)
Libertine Offline
EIR Veteran

« on: April 04, 2008, 07:35:55 am »

ok, i know, this idea is stolen but still.
Dunno how many of you know WW2 Online but basically its an FPS where the Basic Principle follows that of EiR.
You have big Map of Europe with hundres of Towns and each Town can be attacked when you have a Link to it. One Faction is defending, one attacking. sounds familiar ? thought so.

anyway, i dont wanna talk about the Gameplay but the Research.
For example theres a Tiger in WW2 Online but its not available from the beginning but you have to research it which takes. Same goes for Sherman, PzIV and some other stuff.

now my idea is, you guessed it, if this would a nice thing to implement in EiR ?
For example Anti Tank. Only Panzerfaust and Pak would be available for the Germans from the very start of a war. 88 and Shreks would have to be researched.
Or, Axis only have StuG from beginning while Allies would only get the Basic Sherman or M10. Other Stuff would have to be researched.

just an idea dont know if its even possible to implement something like this, just tell me what you think of it.
fldash Offline
Founder

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 07:40:10 am »

I loved WW2 Online concept, just thought the implementation (mainly their engine) was fairly poor.  I thought for a while it'd go under, I'm glad it's still going.  The guys from Cornered Rat Studios seem awesome.
Libertine Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 07:44:56 am »

I loved WW2 Online concept, just thought the implementation (mainly their engine) was fairly poor.  I thought for a while it'd go under, I'm glad it's still going.  The guys from Cornered Rat Studios seem awesome.

yeah, i been on and off that game for 4 years now alltough i allways had the feeling that fewer and fewer people were playing it.
good times when you drove your tiger for half an hour to a battle only to have it sapped when you got there...and the allied airquakes...
fldash Offline
Founder

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 07:49:54 am »

Yea... best part was riding in an Opel for an hour to your destination only to have it hit by a tank shell, everyone dead.  Oh man, so frustrating.
Libertine Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 07:55:33 am »

not half as frustrating as when you drive your PzIV up a ledge and it tips over and you cant get it to flip back...man that was annoying.
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 07:55:39 am »

Haha Smiley.
The EiR Warmap's frontline system is pretty much based on WW2 online.
I've never played it, the crappy gfx put me off too much for me to bother paying monthly.
I got a free trial weekend once but I was no longer interested by that time Smiley.
Libertine Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 08:09:20 am »

Haha Smiley.
The EiR Warmap's frontline system is pretty much based on WW2 online.
I've never played it, the crappy gfx put me off too much for me to bother paying monthly.
I got a free trial weekend once but I was no longer interested by that time Smiley.

well, imo it WWII online only gets interesting after youve ranked up a bit and have access to all the equipment, sniper, mortar, lmg. but yeah, the gfx are outdated but the gameplay and scale is pretty much unrivaled imo. gimme a bastard child between WWII Online and BF1942 and i probably wouldnt need another game for a year or two.
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 08:10:02 am »

FH2 -> Forgotten Honor tournament Smiley.
newblette67 Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 08:14:36 am »

ok, i know, this idea is stolen but still.
Dunno how many of you know WW2 Online but basically its an FPS where the Basic Principle follows that of EiR.
You have big Map of Europe with hundres of Towns and each Town can be attacked when you have a Link to it. One Faction is defending, one attacking. sounds familiar ? thought so.

anyway, i dont wanna talk about the Gameplay but the Research.
For example theres a Tiger in WW2 Online but its not available from the beginning but you have to research it which takes. Same goes for Sherman, PzIV and some other stuff.

now my idea is, you guessed it, if this would a nice thing to implement in EiR ?
For example Anti Tank. Only Panzerfaust and Pak would be available for the Germans from the very start of a war. 88 and Shreks would have to be researched.
Or, Axis only have StuG from beginning while Allies would only get the Basic Sherman or M10. Other Stuff would have to be researched.

just an idea dont know if its even possible to implement something like this, just tell me what you think of it.

This is what i thought of. start the war in 1942 with africa ..ect...than the axis start out with like 1000 territories and allies like 200 but allies get more availability and tech to start out
Lionel-Richie
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2008, 08:29:36 am »

While the realism stuff was neat, having to walk or travel for extended periods of time only to die to something unknown and spawn back at the beginning was just awful.

People kept making Red Orchestra maps that were like that too, no idea why.

Research would be something neat though, but I don't think the game has enough of a unit variety for it.
fldash Offline
Founder

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2008, 08:31:18 am »

Lionel-Richie, they finally made mobile spawn points where you could spawn at a Opel or whatever just outside the town you were attacking until it got killed.  Made it much nicer.
Madman Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2008, 08:34:29 am »

Lionel-Richie, they finally made mobile spawn points where you could spawn at a Opel or whatever just outside the town you were attacking until it got killed.  Made it much nicer.

those mobile spawns were in the game, i dunno, think more then 3 years now. didt solve the issues for tanks, or even worse, AT and Flak.
fldash Offline
Founder

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2008, 08:38:53 am »

Well, I played from the beta to release for about a year, quit, went back, same old, quit again, played again and they had mobile spawns.  Yea, it's been at least 2 years since I've played though...
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2008, 08:39:01 am »

While the realism stuff was neat, having to walk or travel for extended periods of time only to die to something unknown and spawn back at the beginning was just awful.

I remember some people complaining about that on vent on FH2 back when we still played it, and the FH2 maps really aren't huge... I for one enjoy slowly & tactically approaching our target instead of just getting a truck and driving into the middle of the enemy's lines, then likely getting killed Wink.
Lionel-Richie
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2008, 08:40:02 am »

Ahh...yes.

I just remember my first experience with the game many years ago. I spawn, a bunch of people drive off in all the vehicles in the area...so I start running.

And running.

And running.

I get to the town and approach a haystack then fall over dead. /exits game

That being said, if this game had a major graphical overhaul I'd be all about playing it. Graphics aren't everything in a game, but severely outdated ones can detract from the experience.
Prydefalcn Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2008, 08:40:49 am »

I remember some people complaining about that on vent on FH2 back when we still played it, and the FH2 maps really aren't huge... I for one enjoy slowly & tactically approaching our target instead of just getting a truck and driving into the middle of the enemy's lines, then likely getting killed Wink.

I enjoyed slowly & tactically killing you with a Bren every 5 minutes as you made the long approach Wink

Prydefalcn - Axis
CommanderNewbie - Allied
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2008, 08:44:11 am »

Good times haha.
I'm much better at BF2/PRMM than I've ever been at FH2 though Smiley.
(As I've played BF2 & PRMM for years in a row, on a high tactical & competetive level with a clan)

Speaking of PRMM, I downloaded it again Tongue.
Libertine Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2008, 08:52:30 am »

I just remember my first experience with the game many years ago. I spawn, a bunch of people drive off in all the vehicles in the area...so I start running.

And running.

And running.

I get to the town and approach a haystack then fall over dead. /exits game

That being said, if this game had a major graphical overhaul I'd be all about playing it. Graphics aren't everything in a game, but severely outdated ones can detract from the experience.

hahaha, yep, thats WWII Online.
i have to admit its NOTHING like any other FPS. you just run into a town that is held by the enemy your dead, sure as hell.
usually a battle would start with setting up flak and some spawns around a town, then bomb it a little, move up infantry a little, move up panzers, move up infantry, move up AT, move up Panzer, move up Inf...and so on.
best bet allways was to just camp in one spot and then wait till the enemy shows, usually the deciding factor was who had more patience. but that really was the beauty of it.
i remember one battle, dunno which town it was...outside of the town, must have been more then 100 axis players and even more allies. wherever you looked you saw infantry moving up, tanks giving supressing fire, 88s shelling the Town, Flak firing at Planes...man...im getting sentimental here but i sure had some great moments in that game  Smiley
puddin Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2008, 09:18:15 am »

the reaserch system is in place....  Its called Cps. 

Our Command Points is equivelent to reaserch, it limits the time that you can get the units and ability, its just that EiR moves much faster and wars last what a month or 2 before being reset maybe more maybe less. 

Puddin' spamtm
i cant really blame smokaz i mean playing against puddin is like trying to fight off breast cancer. You might win and do it and be a bad ass but you'll feel sick and mutilated forever.

Puddin' spamtm is soulcrushing... what's hard to understand about that?
Libertine Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2008, 09:28:19 am »

the reaserch system is in place....  Its called Cps. 

Our Command Points is equivelent to reaserch, it limits the time that you can get the units and ability, its just that EiR moves much faster and wars last what a month or 2 before being reset maybe more maybe less. 

er, no and yes imo. CPs are for individual players not the whole faction. and you can basically rush certain trees of the doctrines, like Tiger for example. WWII system is different in that its faction wide. difference would be that a player that for example cant play that often will seriously lack behind in CPs compared to WWIIs system where everyone gets the same equipment once its researched.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc