Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 11:25:46 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 26, 2024, 09:37:35 am]

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [BETA] 6p/8p Lengfeld  (Read 9430 times)
octide Offline
EIR Regular

« on: April 29, 2008, 11:33:38 am »

Hey guys,

this is my first shot at CoH mapping and I decided to map my hometown.

It is called Lengfeld and is located in southern hesse, germany and was captured by U.S. forces on easter 1945, without any resistance. Well, this is about to change...

Any C&C welcome! More information on request.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Kolath Offline
Commander, 2nd Infantry Division

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 11:45:03 am »

Octide, this is looking very nice, especially for a first effort!  Which house is yours?  Wink

Comments:
-Good job on the graveyard
-Like many maps based on real places, the layout looks very good and realistic

Criticisms:
-May be too many sectors, I count 38 including spawn zones.  I would consider reducing by 5-8.
-It looks a bit flat to me.  I would do some more height variation, especially out in the fields area.  Though, if that is the actual height of your town, go with it.  Just make sure you do some +/- 5 height variations here and there to make it look more natural
-May be too many buildings, so you might want to damage them. This will require playtesting to resolve.

Kolath's Quote Commandments:
1. Thou shalt not quote the entirety of a post 3 or less posts above you
2. Thou shalt not quote more than 2 nested levels
3. Thou shalt not quote large blocks of text when one sentence would do
4. Thou shalt not quote images!
Niichts Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 11:48:06 am »

Yes, excellent work.  Looks really cool;
though I agree.  The sectors dont look right for EiR
octide Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 11:59:31 am »

Thanks for the comments and compliments.

Octide, this is looking very nice, especially for a first effort!  Which house is yours?  Wink

Comments:
-Good job on the graveyard
-Like many maps based on real places, the layout looks very good and realistic

Criticisms:
-May be too many sectors, I count 38 including spawn zones.  I would consider reducing by 5-8.
-It looks a bit flat to me.  I would do some more height variation, especially out in the fields area.  Though, if that is the actual height of your town, go with it.  Just make sure you do some +/- 5 height variations here and there to make it look more natural
-May be too many buildings, so you might want to damage them. This will require playtesting to resolve.

My house is the one with the green pickup in the driveway (visible in relic00001.jpg) Wink

I hadnt a really good plan for the sectors, especially in the field areas, since the map was not built with sectors in mind but with the real place. With the main street as a divider, its 15 sectors per side as well as 2 sectors with territory on both sides (train station and town center next to the church)

I had big trouble with heightmap editing inside the village, maybe someone can give me some pointers to it so that the houses still line up and stuff...

In real life, there hasn't been any war damages here, and I thought it might be something different to fight somewhere where not everything is already in ruins when you start off, but hopefully afterwards Wink

Yes, excellent work.  Looks really cool;
though I agree.  The sectors dont look right for EiR

Any pointers how to make them look righter?
octide Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 12:38:42 pm »

Some detail shots...

octide Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 12:40:09 pm »

even more Wink

Lesserevil Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 12:46:03 pm »

Looks really good. Will try it when i can.

Lesserevil - Axis
Greater Good - Allies
Greater Evil - Axis
Kolath Offline

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 01:45:23 pm »

Lookin' good.  Couple things:

-In the shot of the power plant (?) with the barbed wire concrete fence, you need to place the fence end-piece object to cap the ends so the wire doesn't stick out into mid-air

-Fences and walls in general should have more openings for gameplay purposes.  You can either make them gaps with open gates or destroy random parts.  It will look a little weird, but it will make it easier for infantry to move around.

-Height mapping; can you describe what sorts of issues you were having?  I recommend turning strength down to near as low as it goes and then adding some gently hills and valleys throughout.
BoDyBaG2224TLS Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 06:13:59 pm »

Looks like a lot of houses, but that can be fun (arty time!) looks pretty, would love to play test.

Nevyen Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008, 04:01:01 am »

map is bad for the game,  game play does not mesh with what the mod does, to many houses and not enough of them are damaged, sorry the map needs a rethink looks nice but thats about it.

DjTerror Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2008, 04:19:00 am »

Really looks fine.

I love that urban area map that adds to diversitiy.
Combat in these conditions will be a lot diferent than in other wide open maps.

Can't wait to play it!

Kolath Offline

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2008, 11:53:44 am »

map is bad for the game,  game play does not mesh with what the mod does, to many houses and not enough of them are damaged, sorry the map needs a rethink looks nice but thats about it.

Nev, can you elaborate?
Wraith547 Offline
15th Panzer Division
EIR Veteran

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2008, 12:10:53 pm »

I think Nev means that the number and strength of buildings makes it difficult to assault ie MG and mortar lock.

From my experience mapping, I think you need to go back and wreck up the place a little. More debris, splats etc. Also you can never have to much light infantry cover.

Basically you need to go back and make it look like a war is being fought there, not only will it make the map fit the mood of the mod better, fewer buildings being occupiable will make the map flow better.
muha Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2008, 12:17:39 pm »

I like it, an urban map. Im tired of fighting in field with chrches overlooking them, too boring.

And im definitally sick of hedgegrow (sp?) spamm  Undecided .

There should be more urban maps, it is a very different playstyle.

Only thing is, add as many pathways and streets as you can. That should eliminate the lockdown issues. Bunker+mortar+pak, whole street is locked down until hit from a fank.
Kolath Offline

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2008, 04:39:17 pm »

-I would say it should be 4v4, it's a bit big for 3v3.

-By the church, there is one section of wall that is like tringular shaped.  I would get rid or that and replace with an opening or with a wall piece that slopes down.  It looks strange.

-Overall a real slugfest.  I enjoyed it!
jackmccrack Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2008, 04:44:59 pm »

The middle of the map seems kinda clustered, but maybe because I was trying to drive my vehicles through it. Maybe I shouldn't have done that. I'll leave the streets to the infantry next time.

Let's talk about PIATs in a car.
salan2
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2008, 05:04:16 pm »

The only thing I am thinkin of is the sectors in this map (it looks perfect for a 3 v 3 meat grinder, LOVE IT!)

check out the sectors for st com du mont... something a long these lines (also seen in st winn and bastion) seem to work absolutely fantastic with EIR attack/defend mcp.

when doing sectors, ignore your geographic tendencies... make it functional for the game, not looks.
jjwa Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2008, 05:07:28 pm »

The map is pretty cluttered and very full in the town, which is a bit different from most EiR maps. I like that tho, it gives a bit of variety in playing style. For example crocodiles can avoid tank shots for a long time in the town by hiding behind buildings, but it's extra vulnerable to schreck squads who are not bothered as much by the buildings as the tanks are. We don't need 20 different maps that play exactly the same in the end. I would be careful not to bottleneck it too much tho.

For example, it's very good you kept the sides open. Also, the raised area around the church could use one or two more entrances. If you play a 4v4 and several players from both sides focus their attack on that area there's so many units, you have to take a number and wait in line to get on there Tongue. The two areas with the whole bunch of trees in it could use a bit of thinning maybe. I understand you want it to be only accessible to infantry, but I believe even they wouldn't mind a bit more space to move around. Having this many buildings undamaged and with many windows is interesting and a change from other maps, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to badly damage a few or have them in rubble. Even as little as one out of every four or five buildings. Makes the 'good buildings' more worth fighting over.

Last thing: it's definitely too big for 3v3. It almost felt too big in the game I played and that was a 4v4.

jjwa
octide Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2008, 12:38:39 pm »

any chance for me to get a replay of the game you played?
octide-ally Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2008, 07:31:30 pm »

I finally had the chance to play a 4v4 on the map, even though it sadly became a 4v3 after some time, might have ended in an allies defeat otherwise. Honestly I didn't notice it until much later that demoner actually had to go.

I think that nevertheless, it shows the nice flanking options around the edges of the town and that, with the exception of 1 or2 sectors, they do work for a 4v4.

If any of the involved players want the replay removed, I'll remove it.

edit: battle#12204

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc