Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2024, 04:01:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]
Poll
Question: Running over troops.
Yes, I'd like to see troops not able to be run over.
I think it's fine the way it is.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If these "features/exploits" could be fixed, would you want them to?  (Read 12278 times)
[AB]RikiRude Offline
EIR Veteran

« on: May 07, 2008, 03:03:08 pm »

There are some thing in CoH that carry over to EiR that I personally hate. Now I don't know if it's possible to change or fix these things, but if a majority people would prefer to see these things changed, I will personally browse every CoH modding forum out there looking for ways to change these things, then try to convince Fl to put them into EiR.

How do I add more questions???

Dang it, I can't figure out how to add more poll questions. If someone could tell me how to do that, I would like to add the following questions.

-Should vehicles be able to block? ie, should a jeep behind of a king tiger stop it so a sherman can circle around it?
No.
Yes it is fine the way it is.

-Should anything be able to block retreating troops?
No.
Yes it is fine the way it is.

I ask this because I believe running over troops is simply exploiting the AIs bad pathing. Also it's just dumb, would would a soldier die by running into the side of a tank tread? It makes no sense to me why Relic put this in. I mean even though it's just a game, it's so unrealistic that it takes me out of the game, I find it in bad sportsmanship.

Same goes with using say a jeep to block a tank, this makes no sense, any tank would run the jeep over. And this is not how a jeep should be used a jeep should be no where near a tank.

And same with retreating troops, why is a retreating troop going to get stuck on a tank? More bad pathing once again.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 03:13:22 pm by [AB]RikiRude » Logged

My available companies:
Allies:
*AB company going for raid assault
  Infantry going for tank reapers
Axis:
*Defensive going for rocket artillery
  Blitz going for lightning war
  And an experimental Terror company going for subversion consisting of all volks and two King Tigers
muha2 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 03:12:16 pm »

The jeep should die, but a sherman can stop a KT, the kt is slow, and the shrman is pretty heavy.

As for runing over troops...why change it? It's their own damned faults they try to re-unite with their bodies over at the other side of the tank and run into the treads.
Kolath Offline
Commander, 2nd Infantry Division

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 03:12:44 pm »

Afaik, you can only have one question per poll.

As for all of those issues, I especially agree with running over troops, but I can tell you now that there isn't going to be any change on these.

While I'm sure everyone would favor allowing tanks to run over jeeps/bikes, I just don't think there is any easy way to code that.

Kolath's Quote Commandments:
1. Thou shalt not quote the entirety of a post 3 or less posts above you
2. Thou shalt not quote more than 2 nested levels
3. Thou shalt not quote large blocks of text when one sentence would do
4. Thou shalt not quote images!
[AB]RikiRude Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 03:16:07 pm »

The jeep should die, but a sherman can stop a KT, the kt is slow, and the shrman is pretty heavy.

As for runing over troops...why change it? It's their own damned faults they try to re-unite with their bodies over at the other side of the tank and run into the treads.

Though a KT should not come to a halt, it should be able to push the sherman at least.

Hmm, should I even bother making 2 separate threads for each question? Or should I just wait for the replies?

Either way, if a mod could add in the questions if possible, I'm about to leave for the day. So don't get mad if I don't counter argue til much later =P
CommanderNewbie Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 03:25:39 pm »

This has been done to death, over the past year.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 09:20:24 am by CommanderNewbie » Logged

CommanderNewbie - Allied
Prydefalcn - Axis
Kolath Offline
Commander, 2nd Infantry Division

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 03:28:18 pm »

This has been done to death, or the past year.

That is the answer.  For better or for worse, none of these items are going to change.
DerangedFerret Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 03:31:54 pm »

It's a problem with the engine, and relic would have to do it. They won't. They're already working on DOW2.
Dr.Nick2 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 04:01:35 pm »

I love running troops over  Grin
Eleven Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 04:11:48 pm »

I lost a vet 3 gren squad in less than a second to an M10.
GammaCommander Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 04:15:53 pm »

Running over troops and blocking vehicles are perfectly valid strategies. Blocking tanks to prevent their escape is an excellent way to deny your enemy a chance to bring that vehicle back into action. However, blocking troops is simply poor sportsmanship. That is exploiting the unit AI. Running over troops and blocking tanks are micro intensive maneuvers. It's actually harder than it looks. Often people would plan ahead of time on how to use their vehicles to block escaping tanks, occasionally, there will be opportunities for some on the spot action of vehicle blocking.

A Nebelwerfer rocket lands on a building and wipes out an entire Vet 3 Riflemen squad and a Howitzer shell kills off an entire Vet 3 Grenadier squad. It sucks, but it's also a war. Risk vs reward. If you want to keep your troops around while that M10 or Stug is roaming around without any AT, then don't be surprised when you start seeing entire squads getting squashed.

AirborneCommander - Blank
DeltaCommander - Blank
ThetaCommander - Axis Defensive
GammaCommander - Allied Armor

http://snarkersville.myminicity.com/tra

http://snarkersville.myminicity.comhttp://snarkersville.myminicity.com/ind
LionelAxis
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2008, 04:20:58 pm »

It's one thing to run over troops but something entirely different when your troops go haywire and all run into a motionless tank.
GammaCommander Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2008, 04:24:38 pm »

It's one thing to run over troops but something entirely different when your troops go haywire and all run into a motionless tank.

I believe with the removal of the unit AI, they will no longer attempt to "reach cover" underneath a tank. This means troops no longer involuntarily run into the tracks of a tank.

With Fire-Up or some other movement alternation abilities, the troops will ignore the tank and in which case, they will run straight into it.
Migi2 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2008, 04:33:42 pm »

I lost a vet 3 gren squad in less than a second to an M10.

Sweet!
UnLimiTeD4 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2008, 05:13:05 pm »

This was a question of balance for relic.
If tank machine guns were as powerful as they actually were in RL, yeah, then running over troops would be stupid.
Aside from pinned.
But it is as it is, and it's never going to change.
And no, a Kingtiger wont push a sherman, it has the same engine as a Tiger and was so undermotorized that it couldn't turn it's turret while moving.
It would stop even to an M8, if it's standing sideways.
And no, nothing should be able to block retreating troops, aside from real blockers.
A tank on a street isn't such a thing. Smiley
[AB]RikiRude Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2008, 08:03:47 pm »

If your own troops dont get run over by your own tank then there has to be some coding you can change that makes it so enemy tanks don't run over your troops. So it's gotta be possible, or I'm just stubborn enough to think it is  Grin

The thing it running over troops completely destroys countering. You can bring out an m-10 to counter volks if you run over stuff good enough, and that's not how things should work. also a croc is already a hard enough thing to deal with, but when you have people in crocs also running your troops over, what the heck can you do?

I can't help it, I just feel damned dirty when I run troops over by accident, though I do laugh at times when troops get fired-up into a tank. I guess it's what separates the people who play for fun and the people who have to win at all costs. I'm not going to go out of my way to run troops over, block retreating units, and blocking vehicles to get my way, it makes it too personal in my opinion.

Sach Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2008, 06:23:10 am »

blocking KTs adn Tigers with a jeep is possibly my favourite thing to do in EIR. Ever.

Sach Wins! Cheesy

Would people please stop killing my AVREs. Not cool.
anthony210 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2008, 06:31:46 am »

I think jeeps should be crushable by heavy tanks personally.  Everytime I see a jeep blocking a tiger or a king tiger it just looks silly.  Same applies to bikes blocking allied tanks.

Jazlizard Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2008, 06:34:36 am »

AFAIK there is a way that is relatively simple to turn on and off the infantry crush on tanks.

I'd love to see it go away, it's one of those quirky things that just doesn't work the way it's supposed to I think. I know how to get it to happen more often then not and it's just silly the way it currently works.

Anyways bottom line is I wish infantry crush would go away (aside from the abilities that some of the british? tanks I think have), but I know the official stance in the past has been, if it wasn't intended relic would have removed it, not really sure how much of an impact this thread is going to have on that method of thinking.

As for jeeps and stuff, I believe that would be an engine change or at the very least some serious additional coding, where as the infantry crush is more of a toggle switch.

Quote from: Phil
The MOD is over. The war is over. We're too lazy to restart it. You can all go fuck pickles mom, I hear she's easy.
todlich Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2008, 06:36:27 am »

well me and my little m10 like it jsut the way it is.
Sach Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2008, 07:16:32 am »

not really sure how much of an impact this thread is going to have on that method of thinking.

I'm guessing since over 80% of respondents like the current system then any effect this thread will have is to reinforce how it is at the moment.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc