Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 21, 2024, 11:21:41 am

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2.0 fails Phils outburst  (Read 22027 times)
|-|Cozmo|-| Offline
Lieutenant General of all Ninja's.
EIR Veteran

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2008, 07:12:20 am »

mods go on hiatus, that's natural, something can't keep you attention for ever. but at least we have a fairly balanced and working model here, if development paused in with EIR in a shit state then that would be terrible, but this one works so its not all bad.
Eleven Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2008, 07:16:35 am »

Well this community has huge fucking standards. Half-Life was played for what, 8 years before the sequel, and it was fucking breath-taking. The problem with mods is that without a prospective of income, little incentive exists to make better product other than fun or enjoyment or whatever. I'm sure if everyone donated even as little as a dollar a month or some semblance of monetary gratitude, we could free market our way to 2.0, or some updates. Do whatever you do devs, everything is understandable.
|-|Cozmo|-| Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2008, 07:23:20 am »

ok, how much does a full time job pay, well in England a good one after tax is 30k+ a year, so that's what 50k in $US yea?

That's just for one person (Fl-).

so each person 1$ a month = 12$ a year.

how many Active members? hum - id say about 40-60? so 40 people would make like $480...

So to make 50k each month 4166.66$ needs to be made that's 104.17$ each month for each person. (40 people).

^BTW is that maths correct?
Eleven Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2008, 07:25:08 am »

Those weren't actual numbers I was providing, I was just speculating that real incentive is created with cash money.

And 50k in US after taxes is very very well off. Our middle income taxes are about 40% of gross.
|-|Cozmo|-| Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2008, 07:28:52 am »

i was just converting £ to $ by doubling then taking a bit off. since after 30k gross you have to pay 40% tax - my dad earns about 70k a year gross but only get about 45k to 50k of that after tax etc
Draygon Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2008, 08:08:58 am »

Its been said over and over, but Ill say it again.  DEVS--all we really need is for you to put in the Brits and the PE, that will hold us over for a good deal of time I think, even if Ucross does some balancing here and there, it will keep things going and I think the community will once again grow.  So please before you go on "vacation" at least put that in, the rest can come later.
Wraith547 Offline
15th Panzer Division
EIR Veteran

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2008, 08:12:15 am »

Its been said over and over, but Ill say it again.  DEVS--all we really need is for you to put in the Brits and the PE, that will hold us over for a good deal of time I think, even if Ucross does some balancing here and there, it will keep things going and I think the community will once again grow.  So please before you go on "vacation" at least put that in, the rest can come later.

QFT

I think if they just went ahead and put in the Brits and PE with the original doctrine ideas, pricing etc. and Ucross was willing to keep balancing to some degree it would hold everyone over for months or possibly forever. Then if fl- ever has the desire to work on it again there would still be a ready made community playing his mod.

I think what sucks the most for me because this is the first gaming community I have ever really been a part of. I have always been far to casual of a gamer to become involved in thinks like a clan, it took a special game like CoH and a special mod like EiR to pull me into this. I just really don't want to lose it.

Edit: I also feel someone should be named "Community Director" whose job is to keep people around, set up tourneys, hopefully keep a flow of more new players.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 08:16:27 am by Wraith547 » Logged
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2008, 08:16:13 am »

We had a 2.0 doctrine list & unit cost list ready back when I was still on the dev team, certain people insisted however that we completely went a different direction Wink. I'm afraid 2.0 has become a victim of its own ambitions, should've just gone with a simple OF update before trying all these crazy new systems like Deployment Time, Single Resource, etc. I reckon fl- had to put a lot of time into just coding all those new systems.
Bonte Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2008, 08:28:01 am »

did akranadas cut up phils post...caus ei dont even see why its called...
Re: 2.0 fails Phils outburst

I'm too candid to hide something like that. Smiley
Candid - frank; outspoken; open and sincere: a candid critic

You must really think im an idoit.
|-|Cozmo|-| Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2008, 08:32:46 am »

the outburst is not in this thread.
Ucross Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2008, 08:42:56 am »

I'm guessing the mod is dead.  Just a guess though.  =P
Akranadas Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2008, 08:44:14 am »

- removed due to negativity - Ucross

- More like Silenced because I don't conform to your viewpoint - Akranadas
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 09:31:58 am by Akranadas » Logged
Ucross Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2008, 08:49:11 am »

TBH, the community has given me a lot less than support a lot of the time. Wink   [That obviously excludes some great members].  So there goes that bout of loyalty.  Still, that has no bearing on my comment.

I said this in the dev forums and I'll say it here.  Get me 1-2 GOOD programmers who can put in hours and I can keep EiR alive.  Otherwise, it's probably dead.

I'm a realist.  I like to be candid. 
Flack Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2008, 08:51:33 am »

This is going to end badly, i can feel it. For some reason it is the same thing which happened to a old clan i was in. The leaders built up bad blood to each other and other members. It always ends up with the clan or community dying.

Is that really what you want dev's? Is it?

If it dies, you need to restart the entire publicity thing whenever you feel like modding again. If you just give us a pause or whatever you want, it might still live.

Ucross Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2008, 09:03:39 am »

The reason I predict death has nothing to do with the community or myself.  It is simply because the programming power (which is necessary to run the mod) is gone.  That used to be phil and fl, but both are burnt out. 

If you want to see the mod run, we need some programming power.  If you want to see 2.0 out, we need more. 

Also, getting 2.0 out as planned is not much harder than getting out what you guys are saying.  I've done a lot of the extra programming, we just need some scar coding and some php/c++ coding done of which I can't do.

So this is how I see it:
No programming = dead mod
some programming = alive mod, but no 2.0
more programming = 2.0

Also, I don't have bad blood for any of the developers.  IMO they were all fantastic.  Akr was a great mod, fl and phil phenomenal programmers, the rest of them I'm not mentioning were great too, all were IMO fantastic.  The staff here was exemplary IMO. Smiley

I hope that if I ever do another project I have them or individuals like them on my team.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 09:05:36 am by Ucross » Logged
Ciwawa Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2008, 09:04:07 am »

restart the war let's keep playing... maybe fldash is just having a bad time
BradAnderson Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2008, 09:05:52 am »

i still love phil.
Draygon Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2008, 09:12:36 am »

Ucross, Im sure we can get things going but there are some things that need to happen.  If FL is really done, then in order for someone to attempt to pick up where he left off we need the source code.  Cozmo has said that he will devote time to getting his SCAR coding up in order to help out as much as he can.  There have been others that had said they would help out too.

Really though, just get the OF units in, and the mod will live as long as you yourself balance it.  I know Ive been hard on you, but I really dont want to see this mod, this community die; it can stay alive and thrive as long as we get PE and Brits in, and it will hold up over time until FL can dedicate more time to it, or we get other programmers to do so.

Ucross Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2008, 09:13:47 am »

The biggest programming hurdle for 2.0 is PE/Brit implementation.  The rest is easy pie. =P   

Like I said, get me a little bit of programming and EiR can continue in it's current state.

Get me someone who can implement PE/Brit and we can release 2.0
Draygon Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2008, 09:16:25 am »

How much of it is already coded?  I thought that was what FL was spending most of his time on?  What about asking the guy that is doing Fortress Europe for some help in getting this out, give him some credit on it even. 

I dont know SCAR and my personal life is in no shape for me to do any sort of help right now, but I know we have members of the community that can help.  Saint for instance can code...he just has kept his mouth shut Smiley  Afterall thats what hes in school for, we need to pull people from the community and do so.

Above that, you yourself can find some programmers...you are pretty persuasive afterall.  Lets not let this die!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc