Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 09:30:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 26, 2024, 09:37:35 am]

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chateux De Mont  (Read 5179 times)
HaroquenA Offline
EIR Regular

« on: August 25, 2008, 08:07:22 pm »

Presenting: The ground work of my map, Chateux De Mont (name pending).

The idea: The Allied army has ambushed the sleepy Chateux De Mont, site of the recent meeting of several Axis high commanders following the death of the local Baron.

Axis inteligence managed to intercept the plans, and the commanders were evacuated and minor defenses were pitched around the Chateux. Now, it is a battle for the hearts and minds of the citizenry of france, as the Chateux can be said to be loved by all.

PREMISE: I wanted a really open map. Lots of manuvering and little worry of having to blow out a predictably placed Pak, MG or such nonsense, with a small number of areas to dig in to. A Flak 88 can get alot of footing on this map but, well hell, that's a small price.

TO DO: Sectors. Fill in the feilds. Make mountain more mountainy.

I'd appreciate comments and feedback. Really, I'd be grateful if a more skilled mapper could apply their skills to my map as I am not that good at mapping, and dont have much time round these days. Contact me if you want a copy to fiddle with.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Bodybag2224-Armor Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 08:25:18 pm »

Some more color, fill out the OOB, splats and splines to change up the ground. COVER COVER COVER. Add in some sort of cover, rocks, sandbags, wall anything just something so that you have some cover!!!1111oneoneone. I like the idea of a very open area but I think this is the hardest map to make. You need just a lil polishing to do right now. Make it look "real" not just brown/greenish.

Profiles: BoDyBaG2224
M26ArmedCav
ThinTag by TripleTags.com" border="0
http://bodybag2224.myminicity.com/
Generic Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 09:18:48 pm »

make sure there are no hills so your strafes dont screw up

EIR Veteran

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 09:19:38 pm »

Atleast add in some valleys or something and small hills won't fuck up the strafes, but large wtf pointy things will.
Kolath Offline
Commander, 2nd Infantry Division

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 01:38:00 pm »

Haroquen, welcome to the exciting world of mapping!  Thank you for posting screenshots right off the bat.

Please post an overhead view so we can get a better sense of the map.

My first impression is that the center area with the water will be a death trap if anyone sets up an 88 and/or vet paks.

Kolath's Quote Commandments:
1. Thou shalt not quote the entirety of a post 3 or less posts above you
2. Thou shalt not quote more than 2 nested levels
3. Thou shalt not quote large blocks of text when one sentence would do
4. Thou shalt not quote images!
Lolto Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 05:11:59 pm »

I would recommend revamping the center in some ways and adding more cover to the surrounding areas to start, you can still have a very open map which isn't a complete slaughter-fest for one side.

If you choose to leave it too open you would make for a very stale and unbalanced map, perhaps a way for either side to advance forward using some form of LOS blockers would be sufficient and still allow for an open ended map.

Life or Lack There Of
Haroquen Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 05:52:35 pm »

Overhead shot. -Not seen: Feild Splats on the feilds, currently trying to get them to mesh well with the ground.-
The reason for the angle, and slight chopping off of one corner, was some truely odd looking spline bending when I zoomed out to far.

Idea: Perhaps I can add more of those holland castle stones into the hedge rows, to create an 'old castle' look for it, while provind shot cover.

In the back, just OOB is the large hill. I know it may foul air strikes, and I've been wanting to test it, but have yet to have a chance.

I purposely cloistered the chateux with hedges. The idea being to create flanking entrances with heavy crush (Crocs, Panthers, Pershings, Heavy tanks) through the gaps in the forest.

The stuff around the chateu itself is what is supposed to be the disrupted remnants of a garden party.

TO DO: Sectors. Add cover to the left side feilds and upper right side area, as well as around the spawns.

[attachment deleted by admin]

I hate. <3
EIR Veteran

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 05:54:41 pm »

The castle walls would be cool.
Kolath Offline
Commander, 2nd Infantry Division

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 10:13:02 am »

Okay based on the overhead shot:

-Center area is way too open, it will be a bloodbath
-There should be at least a few places where you can pass through the forest area
-Don't use the large groves, they only look good in the out of bounds area (OOB).  Use more of the two medium sized groves.  See Ardenne Valley.

Haroquen Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 03:14:43 pm »

Okay based on the overhead shot:

-Center area is way too open, it will be a bloodbath

*Noted. Adding castle ruins to try and improve area.

-There should be at least a few places where you can pass through the forest area

There ARE. However, they are specificly meant to be hard to notice and accesible only with heavy crush. This is intentional to promote the use of either strategic crushing or assault lane choice.

-Don't use the large groves, they only look good in the out of bounds area (OOB).  Use more of the two medium sized groves.  See Ardenne Valley.

Noted. Acting on this.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc