Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 21, 2024, 08:21:59 am

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spore!  (Read 14854 times)
Wraith547 Offline
15th Panzer Division
EIR Veteran

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2008, 11:21:33 am »

Unknown doesnt need to actually experience something to have a totally informed and well balanced opinion which everyone else should agree with.

Ak should know this by now Wink
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2008, 11:39:01 am »

Actually I played spore and found it an incredible dissapointment, so did almost every self-respecting gamer that likes a little more depth in their games than the average 7 year old.
Wraith547 Offline
15th Panzer Division
EIR Veteran

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2008, 11:45:57 am »

Once again its apparent that your definition of fun and enjoyment is the ONLY definition that anyone should listen to.

God forbid anyone want a game that is casual and accessible.

For the record, it isn't my cup of tea either, but my girlfriend is thoroughly in love with it.

I would argue but its a waste of time.
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2008, 12:01:09 pm »

I never said I regard the average casual gamers to my definition of gamers. Of course there'll be casual gamers who enjoy this (although surely they'll get bored of it in space stage pretty fast just like everyone else, congrats to them if they don't). There's also people who like the sims, there's also many kids who'll like a game like this but if you're someone that usually enjoys plays much more complex and indepth games than surely you can't possibly start claiming this is a brilliant game. It's my opinion that for the latter category of gamers, spore is going to be overhyped and overdone.

You're taking this shit way too personally and too seriously. If people like spore that's fine but that won't stop me from dissing the game because I personally think it sucks. It's my (and everyone's) full right to have and spread my (/their) opinion just like reviewers do. This is a forum, if everyone would have the same opinion about everything life would be pretty boring and we might as well be called sheep instead of humans.

If you think spore is the best game ever created and will wright should be crowned king of england, than by all means go ahead and spread the message, you think I don't know everyone will have their own opinion despite what others sais?

I think you're just a lil pissy because you assume I'm insulting your GF for liking the game when really, I'm not.
There's games that score 50% in reviews and there'll still be people who buy and like the game. It's fine, as long as the games get reviewed accordingly and from latest reviews I've only come to the conclusion that spore was IMO overrated in most of them.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 12:03:58 pm by Unkn0wn » Logged
CommanderNewbie Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2008, 12:01:52 pm »

Unknown has become more arrogant than usual, lately.  This isn't the first thread that I've seen this attitude.

CommanderNewbie - Allied
Prydefalcn - Axis
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2008, 12:06:46 pm »

I've seen quite some arrogance coming from you just as well.
I'm not arrogant, I do come across as arrogant but misinterpretation is to blame in most cases. In addition, english is not my primary language so I don't have the vocabulary required to say things in a less harsh way most of the time. On a forum it's all about how you word things, some people are a lot more harsh but just word it nicely so no one takes offense Wink.
salan
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2008, 12:24:35 pm »

took only a few hours to get to the space age. I found the time spent getting there was dull and boring.  The first stage was the funnest, dodging all the would be killer fish.. oh to be 8.  My daughter will LOVE this game.

For me though, Hmm.. The space stage is interesting enough, the scope of its solar system alone is enough to want to try more at it.  The rest of the game, I am glad to never have to redo and waste my time on.

I am sure once I get the hang of the space game I'll dislike it for its potential of copying a MMO quest system for money.. But for now, I'll be content to take my space faring dragon race on a rampage to kill the bunny foo foo's next door.
AmpmX Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2008, 12:35:09 pm »

Well worth the money, nice and casual for those of us that can't always play for a long time or play vs other people constantly due to children. Also, the kid loves it because of all the colors and claps at it.

Not a hugely difficult game, but not everything is made to cater to my hardcore side.
SkunkerTLS Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2008, 01:35:33 pm »

This game is kind of cool, but I wish it had more depth on each of the levels - it's a fun way to waste time though.

Quote from: Thtb
vulcanacticitc.
For when volcanic without the extra "ticitc" just doesn't get your point across as well.
Mysthalin_Axis Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2008, 01:45:20 pm »

Bout the little gore part.
THere's a solution.
It's called mods.
Kolath Offline
Commander, 2nd Infantry Division

« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2008, 07:30:09 pm »

So far my favorite stages have been cell, creature and space.  I really enjoyed the evolution process of gradually adding parts to my creature to make it better.

I found tribe and civ stages to be too dumbed down from their respective genres (RTS and empire building RTS).  I kept trying to create control groups for my villagers to group them by specialty.  The mechanics in that stage are pretty weak too.

So far I've enjoyed the space game.  I think there is a lot of fun to be had with exploration, world-building, and seeing all the creatures.  But I wish there was a way to turn off the stupid MMO fetch and "kill X of Y" quests.  I mean seriously, you don't have someone else who can kill your 5 damn diseased cows?

Overall I think the game deserves major credit for 1) the scope and 2) the technical innovation.  The technical innovations of the creature creation and animation alone are very impressive and the smooth performance and world generation are amazing.

I think it will probably provide me a decent amount of fun and maybe 2-3 playthroughs of different game styles.  I figure if I get 40-50 hours out of it it has paid for itself.

Hopefully there will be mods or expansions that add greater levels of depth to the gameplay mechanics for those that desire a more hardcore game.

Oh, one final thought, if successful, this game has the potential to introduce a lot of casual gamers to the concepts of more hardcore genres like RTS and space sim.  It could be a great stepping stone to other games.  I know I hope to get my gf hooked.

Kolath's Quote Commandments:
1. Thou shalt not quote the entirety of a post 3 or less posts above you
2. Thou shalt not quote more than 2 nested levels
3. Thou shalt not quote large blocks of text when one sentence would do
4. Thou shalt not quote images!
Smithy17 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2008, 04:29:04 am »

Maybe that's what it was designed as -  a way for gamers to trick their girlfriends into starting to play games  Cheesy
Akranadas Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2008, 07:05:28 am »

Spore Name is Akranadas if you want to add me to your buddies List (I only have it so buddy creatures populate my world)
Kolath Offline

« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2008, 07:29:04 am »

Cool yeah I'll add you.
MasonDonn Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2008, 07:31:49 am »

Been following spore for 3 years. Got it on monday, and I am loving it. Like everyone says, Tribe and Civ phase is lacking a bit, but everything else is great.

What most people do, unfortunately, is they criticize each phase individually, where as you must take it as a whole. As a whole, the game is far more enjoyable.

Also, buddy name is MasonDon

Quote from: Mikehalo
IM GONNA V1 YOUR VAGINA!
"Never fight with an Idiot. He'll drag you down to his level and beat you by experience."
A tank is an angry metal house that moves
Official Stupid Picture poster
Les Marais - Map WIP
Kolath Offline

« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2008, 07:40:24 am »

My buddy name is Kolath
Akranadas Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2008, 08:18:58 am »

Yeah, the tribal stage is a bit over too quickly. Would also have been nice if there was some more options around that area, such as developing agricultural farming or farming other creatures for meat, could have add a bit more management to the stage, which would have effected the later ones as well.

Have you guys noticed that it's far easier to just convert all the other tribes with song than it is to destroy them?
|-|Cozmo|-| Offline
Lieutenant General of all Ninja's.
EIR Veteran

« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2008, 08:36:29 am »

well it depends if you are a warmonger er or not my creatures are pretty hated (due the predation Tongue) so all the other tribes attacked me (save the two I sang too).
Kolath Offline

« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2008, 10:10:12 am »

You're quite right, Akranadas.  I was attacked a few times but each time I would send a gift to the angry tribe to turn them to yellow smiley.  Then I would equip my whole tribe with musical instruments and take over each village.  I beat the stage in under an hour (according to the achievement I got  Grin).  Farming would have been really good as well as things like walls, attacks from big nasty predators, etc.

In the civ stage as well, buying cities is way easier than fighting them.  I bought 3 military cities and then had to conquer one city and the last civ just offered to ally after I gifted them like 10,000 credits.
|-|Cozmo|-| Offline
Lieutenant General of all Ninja's.
EIR Veteran

« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2008, 01:28:58 pm »

i brought one city (near the end my city was military and i had no other trade cities, and they only sent one trade thingy), converted two with religion and killed the rest with my 20 or so fighter jets. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc