Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 21, 2024, 03:39:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2v2 Road to Carentan (We're noobs, but we felt this one was epic)  (Read 4084 times)
ImmanioEiR Offline
Donator

« on: December 04, 2008, 03:19:49 pm »

So, some friends and I picked up Europe in Ruins these past few days. We played some 1v1s for practice, then today we got some others friends as well and tried out some 2v2s.

As you can understand from this being our second proper game ever, our skills at EiR aren't anything to brag about. Still, in this game, we did our best to make up for it with pure tenacity. It runs for over an hour, and it involves a stubborn refusal to give up at less than 20 popcap and dropping. I won't reveal the ending if anyone is actually interested in seeing it, but let's just say there's not a lot of units left in the end.

Any comments and critique is of course welcome, I think it's safe to say we have a lot to learn.

Battle ID 5100.

Version is obviously the newest, not quite sure what number that is.

Players:
Allies
 ImmanioEiR (me, armour company)
 vilhelmsk (infantry company)

Axis
 Canehdian (defensive)
 RotWein (terror)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 03:36:45 pm by ImmanioEiR » Logged
Apex Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 03:29:25 pm »

Always post the battle number. You to download the battle files to be able to watch the replay.
Lai Offline
Propaganda Minister

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 03:33:34 pm »

Always post the names of the players.

ImmanioEiR Offline
Donator

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 03:36:09 pm »

Ah, my bad, sorry about that. I was just in a hurry to get it posted. I've edited my post to include the info.

CommanderNewbie Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 03:38:19 pm »

Ooo, I'll have to watch when I get home.

CommanderNewbie - Allied
Prydefalcn - Axis
Apex Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 04:25:35 pm »

Fun game to watch. I agree, the end was epic. Here's some observations:

- Small starting platoons. try to fill the up to 25 pop.
- Axis setup too far behind, but you realized that. 2/3 up the map is the norm, or half if the map is more suited.
- Too little AT in the beginning. Sooner or Later you will face a croc rush. Have enough AT ready to counter it.
- Build defenses. Wire are Tank traps at open flanks to create chope points. Sandbads to defend those. Mines.

- Use more cover. Dont stand on the road.
- Allies: If the axis are so holed up on one point of the map, like at the flak in the beginning, flank or ignore them.
- Axis: Don't bring so many tanks in the beginning. You will not have the population to support them with infantry. Engage infantry at longer range. Sooner or later some of those rifles will have stickies.

- Good follow up platoons. Small and specialized. But don't specialize them too much. For example 2 paks in one platoon will often end up overrun by infantry.
- Firing Calliope at long range. Get closer for better effect.
- Don't use snipers as lone wolves. Support them properly.
- Support tanks, don't solo them. Poor Panther.
- Nebelwerfer: Good targeting. But don't pull 3 on the field at the same time. You will not be able to protect them. And if you happen to have multiples on the field, fire them after each other, not at the same time. Pin the blob first, then finish them off. Positioning behind buildings was good, but disperse them more.

- Don't grab the mortar.

Good game, good start into eir.
stumpster Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 04:27:10 pm »

Axis:

- Make sure that both players bring in some anti-tank in the starting call.  An early Sherman would wreck a 2 KCH 1 Sniper start.  (And in this case, almost did.)
- You guys had four minutes to build, feel free to put the FlaK88 somewhere closer to the front line.  It's a very powerful unit on RtC, but it needs to be placed somewhere where it will engage the enemy.  Basically, you had pretty good placement on the second 88, but the first one was wasted.
- Make sure you put the Goliath in cover so it cloaks and use it defensively, it shouldn't have to drive too far to be effective.
- Careful with your tanks, especially expensive ones like the Panther.  Don't get close to Riflemen for fear of Sticky Bombs.
- If the Howitzer is as far back as theirs was, don't bother decrewing it.  Instead, just blow it up with Paks or Shreks.
- Don't pick up BARs with KCH.  This is actually a downgrade from their MP44, because they should usually be attacking while moving, and the BAR is awful on the move.

Allies:

- Vihl, I like your first call-in.  Smiley
- Good job Mortaring the 88, but make sure that you Mortar from behind a building or hedgerow, somewhere the 88 cannot fire back.
- Make sure you guys are always trying to fill up your population.
- Remember the Calliope is the only artillery unit that fires horizontally enough to hit buildings, you had a barrage or two that pretty much hit an empty house when trying to nail the enemy on the lee side of the building.
- If you guys would've coordinated an attack, you could've taken the 88 much earlier.  On one occasion, the Calliope decrewed the 88 and the Pak nearby, but had nothing to really push with.
- EPIC ENDING IS EPIC.

Overall though, it's a really good game.  Interesting very-small unit tactics at the end.

Step out of the way. He'll keep going until he hits a wall, that being Akranadas. Let him go unmolested, his journey will take less time.
DasNoob Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 04:55:10 pm »

This game is the closest i've seen ever?  It's a little slow, but very fun finish.

Quote from: fldash on Today at 06:22:34 PM
DISASTER AVERTED... IM A MOTHER FUCKING GENIUS!

You have DasNoob who uses the mod as COHTV
Prydain Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008, 04:59:56 pm »

There is a Calliope involved? Meh, can't be that good.

The Germans in Greek
Are sadly to seek;
Not five in five score,
But ninety-five more;
All, save only Hermann,
And Hermann's a German.
Lai Offline
Propaganda Minister

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2008, 05:03:58 pm »

- Good job Mortaring the 88, but make sure that you Mortar from behind a building or hedgerow, somewhere the 88 cannot fire back.

Cheesy Add it to Thtb's [How to] Trips and Tics
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2008, 05:38:49 pm »

Excellent replay post up and excellent replay reviews, thumbs up to everyone.
I'll check it out my self!
Thatcakeisaspy Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2008, 04:40:49 am »

Well worth the watch just for the ending Smiley

that was great
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc