Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:02:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[April 25, 2024, 04:28:22 am]

[April 22, 2024, 03:40:53 am]

[April 21, 2024, 12:02:54 pm]

[April 06, 2024, 02:26:25 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:13 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Auto-Territory Video  (Read 7140 times)
fldash Offline
Founder

« on: February 05, 2007, 07:18:50 pm »

This is a short video of the auto-territory functions I've coded into Company of Heroes for use in Europe in Ruins.  There were some basic auto-territory functions included in the designerlib.scar file included with the game however what I've written is both faster and works with unlimited number of players.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmiUme_HGvc

If a territory is controlled by the enemy, you can't take control until all their units are eliminated from the sector, either by moving out of it or death; then you must wait the capture time which is configurable (currently set for 5 seconds for testing).
Apex Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 10:09:02 am »

Looks good, very smooth. But why has the axis base american mg emplacements?
fldash Offline
Founder

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 10:11:18 am »

lol, you noticed eh?  Because I was assigning the units based on player number with random starting positions selected.  Wink
Soulis6 Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 10:24:35 pm »

Thats a great feature. Really helps to show players where the enemy has advanced to.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 05:03:11 am by Soulis6 » Logged
Jaden Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 04:36:23 pm »

Its really cool because now you have to leave troops at each sector like in real life to keep it  Grin

Of course this means I will be purchasing a nice defence squad as well as my assault squads...

Keep up the good work!
Lai Offline
Propaganda Minister

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 10:19:40 am »

Jaden: it seems to me that there's no inherent strategical value in controlling a sector. I believe the win conditions are to either eliminate the enemy or control all sectors, and the latter seems impossible as long as the enemy has an assault force left.

fldash Offline
Founder

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2007, 10:26:36 am »

Jaden, you don't have to necessarily keep troops in the territory, just make sure the enemy isn't there.  Wink

It's a little more complex than that Laivindur.
Apex Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2007, 11:31:48 am »

How is this going to work with registered artillery? Because as far as i saw, there are no more flags.
fldash Offline
Founder

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2007, 11:38:08 am »

Obviously registered artillery is gone which is why the defensive doctrine is the only doctrine to get the officer which has the same ability.
trafalgar Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2007, 06:01:40 pm »

I might not be the only one to notice this, but the panthers in the video don't jam. Is the vehicle pathfinding problem fixed or is the same. I can't wait for the mod however, and the alpha.
Rez Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2007, 11:43:34 am »

I've been pining for a mod like this ever since I tried the COH beta!

What I wanted was the ability to buy my forces before the game began, making the actual gameplay about how you use the forces you have, instead of who can build the fastest.  Is it possible to just have a friendly game with a friend where you each get equal resources, buy your company forces, then play a skirmish, with no strategic map or persistence? 

This would be good for casual players who just want a good tactical fight (like me), or for the more hardcore players that want to playtest their forces or practice for upcoming games.

Also, to people that are alarmed at the changes to unit prices, keep in mind that in vanilla COH, costs are not only balanced according to the ability of the unit, but also to when the unit can be built.  What I mean is, consider a Tiger in vanilla COH, which costs 1000MP.  Three to four riflemam squads also cost about 1000MP, but clearly the Tiger is better overall than 4 rifle squads.  The difference is that you can build the rifles at the beginning of the game, but to build the Tiger you must have accumulated a lot of CP.  In effect, the CP you require to build the Tiger can be considered a 4th resource type, and we all know that the time it takes to get enough CP for a Tiger is much longer than that needed to get 1000MP.  This also applies to built units.  So you must consider that a Panther can only be built after you've spent lots of resources on the Axis Tier upgrades and the Panzer Command building.  Therefore in a mod where all of your units are given to you at the start of battle, the Tiger must cost a heck of a lot more than it does in vanilla COH.  Same goes for all units: the later you can build them in vanilla COH, the bigger the difference their cost will be in EiR when compared to vanilla.  Obviously this isn't the deciding factor the EiR devs will be taking into consideration when coming up with unit costs, but it is a somewhat hidden factor that may not be advertised.

Disclaimer: I haven't actually seen the proposed unit costs for EiR, but I assume they're going to be quite different than vanilla COH.  If they're not, then I'm talking out my ass and I apologize in advance!

Edit: I just realized I posted this reply to the wrong topic!  I meant to post it to the "First Thoughts" topic.  Sorry. >_<
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 11:45:19 am by Rez » Logged
fldash Offline
Founder

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2007, 08:11:22 am »

Hi Rez.  It's possible we could provide something for players to buy/purchase their units and upgrades before skirmishes with friends.  We'll have to look into this.

We are extremely busy trying to get this thing ready to go...  Stay tuned.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc