Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:58:30 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[April 25, 2024, 04:28:22 am]

[April 22, 2024, 03:40:53 am]

[April 21, 2024, 12:02:54 pm]

[April 06, 2024, 02:26:25 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:13 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forum Review  (Read 7712 times)
Akranadas Offline
Honoured Member

« on: March 11, 2009, 06:18:24 am »

Its Review time for the forums.

This is where I ask some simple questions, and I want you guys to give me your honest answers (honestly, anything) about the forums as a whole. Things include:

• The forum restructure
  • Our guidelines
  • New staff tactics
  • What works
  • What doesn't work

All input will be taken into account. As your input here will help me shape the new guidelines to come some time later this month.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 06:20:09 am by Akranadas » Logged
GrandRoyale Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 08:28:01 am »

What works:  keep it simple!  And I like the "New Post" icon and functionality in the main forum, as well as the "New" icon on all posts that have new replies since the last visit.  One feature that might be useful is sorting search results by header, i.e. title, date, poster, etc.  Other than that, the forum performs well! 

~Grand

The true soldier fights, not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.  ~G.K. Chesterton
Schultz Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 09:41:47 am »

1) Can we have a higher number of recent threads showing on the left ? It speeds up tracking down discussions when a high amount of posting is taking place.

2) Also a sup-forum for all the skin packs, or other user-made packs or artwork, or whatever the members of this community post from time to time. Cause some of them are of finest quality and yet they can be hard to find and be tracked down.

3) I think there are some topics that are too specific to be on either Eir Related discussion (this whole forum maybe too vague) and Eir balance discussion, like suggestions/new ideas, discussion on Eir features/doctrines, the launcher. You know some important things that tend to get lost because they blend in with whatever trivial we tend to post from time to time.
So yeah, some better organization over the subjects people post in related discussion or balance discussion would be nice.

4) As a new idea, we could have a new forum for player posts things like more personalized, more spammy, more general chit chat. Just to have a door for this to fuse out there rather than the forums that have a more serious role.

5) I'd like for mods to reconsider putting a lock sometimes because they felt like/didnt understand exactly what the author wrote or because in their idea this could/would hypothetically turned into whatever bad they thought in that moment.
What i'd like to see in that, is a pm handed over to clear the matter up with the author "before the lock", or even a reply asking for clarity or a public warning.
Cause its easy to click the lock, its harder to instigate a learning example.
And its even harder when you lock with one-liners.
On the other side of the coin, be stricter to trolls, griefers and flamers.

6) That would also be good and it just hit me, is threads about the devs giving more insight on several game issues, even in a form of discussion between them.
Things like where do themselves thinking of taking the mod to, what do they think on several aspects like spam(in any form), balance or whatever relevant, like what do they consider significant issues/problems now. All that would shape a better understanding of both sides, us and the devs in communicating better, and it would be in the mods best interest. Imo.
Also more openess on the future stuff you have for planning, and your solutions on problems that exist.

I like the forums though.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 09:44:51 am by Schultz » Logged
31stPzGren Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 10:09:38 am »

Vulgarities / Personal Attacks = instant temporary ban and post moderation/deletion.

Vulgarities are just an excuse for a lack of proper vocabulary and education, riling everyone up for no good reason. Personal attacks have no place in discussions.

The rules of "civility" in the EiR disputes forum should actually be applied in all the forums, perhaps less General discussion & off topic.
Schultz Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 10:23:44 am »

Yeah what 31st wrote. Sometimes its better to delete the flame posts and ban users instead of locking the thread.
For example, we used to have intelligent conversations rolling into flame wars between two people who having complete disrespect for the others or these forums dragged everyone down with them.
So ban/delete/warn the ones who are to blame. Next step is for them to change and actually take into account that theres actual repercussions for everyone.

P.S. You'd be surprised the impact a few deletes can do to someone's arbitrary will to offend.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 10:25:57 am by Schultz » Logged
Malevolence Offline
Donator

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 01:34:03 pm »

Schultz pretty much got it. Also we all have to remember "vulgarities" and the like can occasionally crop up - the nature of debate is sometimes we get carried away into attacking the person and not the argument! A quick warning from the mods when this occurs would be in order, with a repeat offense getting a, say, 12 hour ban (starting at like noon GMT or something appropriate for the user). Consistent offense could of course elicit higher levels of response.

Instant ban seems a bit prone to leaving things up to the mod's discretion, I always support a "warning first" policy, personally.

Akranadas' Greatest Hits, Volume 1:

Quote from: Akranadas
Vet has nothing to do with unit preformance.

Quote from: Akranadas
We are serious about enforcing this, and I am sure you all want to be able to have your balance thought considered by the development team with some biased, sensationalist coming into your thread and ruining it.
salan Offline
Synergies TL2 mod!

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 01:35:29 pm »

bans can be limited though.. good suggestions guys

EscforrealityTLS Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 01:42:33 pm »

I swear a lot and generally use it to describe my opinions of things or situations. I could care less if this offends you, It just the way a express myself. I'm not one for attacking of flaming people, so why should I get banned because my method of expressing myself pisses you off?

I disagree with the ban on "Vulgarities".

But this is just my opinion.

Pwanawan baby!
Smokaz Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 01:44:50 pm »

I'd rather have the idiocy and non-funny trolling removed than the flames tbh

Bam! Empty forum

Robin Noob = Fun trolling

SlippedHerTheBigOne: big penis puma
SlippedHerTheBigOne: and i have no repairkits
SlippedHerTheBigOne: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
DiBBs Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 01:46:23 pm »

the only thing i wish this forum supported was when you click down on your mouse wheel the scroll icon doesn't come up for you to hover your mouse above or below it to scroll through the page. I tend to want to use that a lot.
sgMisten Offline
Donator

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 05:12:00 pm »

4) As a new idea, we could have a new forum for player posts things like more personalized, more spammy, more general chit chat. Just to have a door for this to fuse out there rather than the forums that have a more serious role.

5) I'd like for mods to reconsider putting a lock sometimes because they felt like/didnt understand exactly what the author wrote or because in their idea this could/would hypothetically turned into whatever bad they thought in that moment.
What i'd like to see in that, is a pm handed over to clear the matter up with the author "before the lock", or even a reply asking for clarity or a public warning.
Cause its easy to click the lock, its harder to instigate a learning example.
And its even harder when you lock with one-liners.
On the other side of the coin, be stricter to trolls, griefers and flamers.
I like the forums though.

Schultzz got most of my points. Though just checking, doesn't the Off-Topic General Discussion = your point 4 Schultzz?

I agree on 5, particularly since I had at least one recent case happen to me. Purely humour related thread that got locked with a one liner. If all the content we have in the forums related to the game is balance, unit discussion, doctrinal stuff etc it makes the boards a too serious place.

Btw, can we try to get all the forum and sub-forums viewable on one page without the need to scroll? Easier at a glance for everyone to see where everything is.

No major issues though, forums are generally alright to post in.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 05:14:19 pm by sgMisten » Logged
31stPzGren Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 10:40:36 pm »

I swear a lot and generally use it to describe my opinions of things or situations. I could care less if this offends you, It just the way a express myself.

Unfortunately for you, there are people who prefer to be more civilised and are able to express themselves in a decent matter.

Failing that option of "banning" vulgarities, include the option to automatically blank out or ignore posts from certain users or containing vulgarities/words you specify.

so why should I get banned because my method of expressing myself pisses you off?

Because the way civilised people express themselves don't get people upset?

Edit: A very simple rule of thumb is... If you can't say 'it' to the police, or to a court of law without being arrested/sued... you can be sure it wouldn't be generally accepted.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 10:48:03 pm by 31stPzGren » Logged
Akranadas Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 11:00:16 pm »

Swearing won't be banned, I can tell you that right now. However, it will be suggested to keep it somewhat relax (as Escforrealtiy does) rather than going over board with the language.
DasNoob Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2009, 11:08:44 pm »

Good feedback so far guys, keep it coming.

Also, the temporary bans have increased in number recently, especially in regard to personal attacks v. other members which will never be tolerated.  Players make it onto a warning list first, and then the ban if they continue with their behavior. 

This was a direct result from feedback given to us from the general community in the recent past.

Quote from: fldash on Today at 06:22:34 PM
DISASTER AVERTED... IM A MOTHER FUCKING GENIUS!

You have DasNoob who uses the mod as COHTV
MorkaandBorka Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2009, 11:14:18 pm »

Can we have a place somewhere where I can see if I'm about to get banned, So I know ahead of time instead of having it thrust upon me... Cheesy

I'm really bad  - Smokaz
Akranadas Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2009, 11:17:07 pm »

If you get something like "This is your final warning in your PM inbox" then you should know it's time to think about what your doing wrong. I'm not going to release a list, because it's stupid; you should know if your doing something wrong.
31stPzGren Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2009, 11:25:12 pm »

you should know if your doing something wrong.

If they knew its wrong, why do it in the first place? I'm of the opinion that these people actually believe that its alright to do so...

If they know its wrong and they still do it, that deserves an outright ban :p Its like comparing charges of first degree murder with manslaughter.
Akranadas Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2009, 11:31:30 pm »

While I agree with, it is somewhat too harsh of action. It will also be a warning, then a ban from there a ever increasing duration of ban time until you reach the forever point.
#Freek Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2009, 12:14:58 am »

Swearing won't be banned, I can tell you that right now. However, it will be suggested to keep it somewhat relax (as Escforrealtiy does) rather than going over board with the language.
Fuck that shit?
Oh wait...
EIRRMod Offline
Administrator / Lead Developer

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2009, 12:26:58 am »

1) Can we have a higher number of recent threads showing on the left ? It speeds up tracking down discussions when a high amount of posting is

Good point - I feel the same.

10 latest posts now showing Wink

Quote from: brn4meplz
Shit I'm pretty sure you could offer the guy a cup of coffee and he'd try to kill you with the mug if you forgot sugar.
Quote from: tank130
That's like offering Beer to fuck the fat chick. It will work for a while, but it's not gonna last. Not only that, but there is zero motivation for the Fat chick to loose weight.
Quote from: tank130
Why don't you collect up your love beads and potpourri and find something constructive to do.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc