Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:15:14 am

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[April 16, 2024, 09:46:19 pm]

[April 06, 2024, 02:26:25 am]

[March 22, 2024, 01:44:39 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:13 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]

[December 14, 2022, 12:10:06 am]
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [CW] How to Use PIAT Sappers  (Read 5177 times)
spinn72 Offline
EIR Veteran

« on: May 12, 2009, 07:36:31 pm »

Ok.  For 100 munitions you get the PIAT Upgrade for your sappers.  Yes it sometimes isn't as good as overrepair (especially when youre allies) but PIATs can be used to great advantage.  Firstly, the abilities:

1.  PIATs can shoot over buildings, through buildings, pretty much nothing will stop it in between you and your target.  Use this as a bonus to shoot behind hedgegrows or even impassable terrain, since you can damage them but they cannot touch you.

2.  Giving Sappers PIATs also gives them PIAT ambush.  You will probably look over it in your first few games due to the massive requirements to even get in ambush mode, but this can be proved extremely useful.  It's basically the Cloaked Pak of infantry.

A few downfalls however to PIAT sappers are that they are weak and have relatively low health, and the fact that the riflemen in the squad are completely useless and youll struggle against pretty much everything.  the PIATs are also horribly inaccurate against infantry and also moving targets.

My best advice is when using PIATs to not click to attack the target, but click to attack ground.  PIATs are extremely accurate at attacking ground, and when a puma is trying to run past you you can hit him right where it's going to go.  Attacking ground will also be great for rear armour hits due to the accuracy, especially against Stugs/the Stuh.  PIATs are also best used in groups of 2, like tankbusters, because when facing a heavy tank it takes ages to kill them with only 1 PIAT squad. 

The Ambush Ability is awesome for infantry blobs especially, as well as guarding emplacements or easy targets for armour.  All sappers in the squad need to be in yellow or green cover to get into ambush mode, and the recharge is 60 seconds (from when you first get into ambush mode).  Put your sappers up in front of the battle when the enemy is not watching, camoflague and bring tommies up.  They will most likely counter with some sort of armour.  Sappers get 2 shots of their PIATs until they're revealed, which can be deadly for any tank.

Just a quick guide to 1 unit, if anyone wants to add to this please feel free. I've used about 8 PIAT sapper squads for 60+ EIR games and i wanted to emphasize the point that Attack ground gets rid of what everyone percieves as the PIAT weakness and what makes it only 100 munitions
31stPzGren Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 01:31:22 am »

Using Sappers w/ Piats in groups of 3 are more optimal. In groups of two, they are not as effective against infantry but at groups of 3, they are an extremely effective anti-everything blob.

You will need two lieutenants whom will boost their firepower madly, 1 recon tommie to spot HMGs (best brit counter) and a bren tommie for assistance in anti infantry and lock down.

Brit infantry functions best as a blob. So BLOB.
LeoPhone Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 03:25:18 am »

and now suddenly brit AT IS overpowered? didnt i already meantioned that?
http://forums.europeinruins.com/index.php?topic=9238.0 ofcourse when i say it, im whining........
Scyn Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 03:29:19 am »

I don't think they're insinuating Brit AT is overpowered.. and even if they were.. they'd be wrong.

God is a genetically induced obsession that we interpret in such a way as to maintain our obedience.
Malevolence Offline
Donator

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 06:50:17 am »

My best advice is when using PIATs to not click to attack the target, but click to attack ground.  PIATs are extremely accurate at attacking ground

Attacking ground has the same chance to hit the location as it does to hit the unit, minus dodge modifiers (which frankly for tanks are nonexistant and for armored cars you can't predict their movements sufficiently to hit them due to speed) and the same scatter as a missed shot as well.

Akranadas' Greatest Hits, Volume 1:

Quote from: Akranadas
Vet has nothing to do with unit preformance.

Quote from: Akranadas
We are serious about enforcing this, and I am sure you all want to be able to have your balance thought considered by the development team with some biased, sensationalist coming into your thread and ruining it.
OrdobalticusTLS Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 06:52:31 am »

PIATS are wonderfull and unique form of AT.

Cheap, 90 damage, not bad penetration... a bit random accuracy, but you would be suprissed what they can do with double vet 2 officers nearby.

Their unique ability to fire over obstacles means they are wonderfull in urban or hedgy enviroment. And don't forget their carriers can repair at rather good speed.

LighthorseGER Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 04:26:01 pm »

Thanks for the hints mate working good :-)
TheVolskinator Offline
Administrator / Lead Developer

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 06:15:04 pm »

Necro +1.

Quote from: tank130
I want to ensure we have a 100% decision on the process before we do the wipe.
If not, then I wipe, then someone gets something they shouldn't, then it gets abused, then the shit hits the fan and then I ban shab.

Getting EiR:R Released on Steam

Forum Rules & Guidelines
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc