Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 25, 2024, 03:14:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The AI  (Read 15819 times)
Malevolence Offline
Donator

« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2009, 11:10:33 am »

Quote from: Flashpoint Gold
To Malevolence, I don't feel like quoting all of that but there is alot of stuff in your post that has no contribution to this thread. Some small comments about how other games are worse and such. This is about making the game/AI better, not comparing it to other games.

"Better" is relative, therefore I illustrated relative points using other similar games. My post is a response to another post, not to the thread, however, so some of it is bound to go off-topic.

So basically, this is a pointless thread unless the devs for EiR did something about this, but they won't because they don't mess with the core stuff. This would be a discussion for RelicNews Forums.

Admittedly this is true, this thread really has no point here - there's no real way to add the features requested in regards to the core AI because there's no way to really modify that code available to independent developers at this time.

would like to point out this is fucking shit, and anybody who extensively circles Axis tanks knows it. Many ally tanks (such as a Tetrach) will fire at nearby infantry instead of the tank you're circling, and there is NOT A SINGLE FUCKING THING you can do about it. If you give it an attack order, you stop moving (thus the tank's turret catches up with you) and you still have to wait for your goddamn tank to turn it's turret back to the other tank because it was aiming at the infantry. If you keep moving it, you will never accomplish anything against the other tank.

Almost all tanks have a set reload time that is only modified by moving on certain tanks. You can count this time in your head, issue the attack order at the relevant time, fire, and be on your merry way - I do it all the time, admittedly sometimes not very well.

Even if you aren't circling a tank, it's a HUGE fucking pain in the ass. If you don't want to sit still like a fucking duck, then you'd better be prepared to fire at the wrong targets.

It happens occasionally due to you moving the tank to the wrong location such that certain targets are in the wrong spot, and the tank acquires them based on its AI when you would prefer it did not. Also, a lot of "firing at the wrong target" that, for instance, an M10 does is when a halftrack or something zips by some infantry and your tank misses, and it looks like it was firing at infantry.

Maybe you want to kite some riflemen w/ stickies and continue firing at the enemy Sherman, or maybe some artillery? Too fucking bad. That calliope only one shot away from death? Too fuckn bad, here comes the rifles with stickies, you either move or die, and when you move you won't get in the one fucking shot needed to kill the Calliope.

Yes it is too fuckin' bad that your tank automatically fires at the enemy tank before it fires at enemy infantry. Oh wait that's what you wanted it to do.

Quote from: Mysthalin
I'd rather have my MP40s stay at long(their max) range and in heavy cover than charge through negative, personaly, and just target the unit I ordered them to. If I want them to charge, I give them a move order, if I want them to stop and shoot(AKA Focus Fire), I give them an attack order. Simple, intuitive and codeable, wouldn't you agree? Improves gameplay and joy of playing while not making it a movie.

Actually I'm fairly certain I was wrong about that earlier point, it's only tanks that attempt to fight before stopping, infantry will attack from the position you tell them to, but I think it's either that they advance over time (has existed since forever) or that now they suffer from the same problems as the tank (will continue to move to location while the attack order only gives them a target priority, thus they keep running).

MOST of my infantry has behaved fine, but it has been a bit buggier recently.

Not exactly 100 percent, but 85 - absolutely.

Again, I never really noticed this problem with exception of the firefly and I think it happened to a schrek squad once, but that's just bad pathing around a house for the latter and the former you've always had to just sit it at a place and not tell it to attack or it pretends it's an M10.

Too bad on some maps the fir trees are crushable, on some they aren't, on some a part of them are crushable, and the other part not. Having a trank drive around trying to ram down a stone wall just because "it's there" isn't really user fault - you're not going to only use tanks in absolutely open fields(ATGs ftw), are you?

Well, just don't assume obstacles are always crushable. That is part of map knowledge and a decision of the map maker, not that of Relic's pathing code. Relic's path code says "this object is not crushable, in order to not become blocked and in order to go to my destination, I will take X path instead of Y path due to Y path going through a solid, uncrushable object. Frankly that's a lot better than "HUR DEE DUHR I'M GONNA RUN INTO A TREE!" even if it does involve turning around because at least it attempts to reach your destination.

Thankfully that is incorrect, or we'd have snipers charging across the map just because your recon run spotted an HMG, tanks not shooting at an enemy ATG crew because there's a "better target" just outside your max range, and other stupid and pointless crap. Search radius is exactly the same as weapon range radius - fiddle around in making your own mod with custom weapon ranges, and you will notice that you can't even alter the search range - it's automaticaly set to the weapon's "max range".

You're right, I meant equal to weapon range. I thought "not smaller than weapon's range" and typed "bigger than weapon range" rather than "equal to weapon range", early morning = tired.

It's a game, we should expect the units to behave like in a game where you're "god", not like in a real combat situation where the units may make their own decisions(to have a happy tank dance, however much they feel like partying).

Well, some people prefer units to do exactly as they say. The Relic squad mechanic is, by essence of not being precise single units, buggy in what it decides to do. It is taking an order issued to 1 unit and applying it to five or six - it means that not every unit is going to be the one guy who goes exactly where you want him to, it's simply a flaw in the squad based system inherently. In order to not become frustrated with the lack of precise control by design I just pretend that it's my men being uncooperative and yell at them  Cheesy (Case in point: there's no way to get precise control with a squad based system like there is in an individual system - it's either deal with it or don't. With tanks it's a bit less excusable, but with their pathing mechanics there are bound to be bugs as well because there's no way for it to telepathically interpret our intent when we click behind the unit X distance away - it's just doing what it's programmed to do, which suffices under most circumstances).

Albeit written in a ragey manner, this is true. It could all be fixed if we set the targetting priorities for all tank guns against all enemy units to an equal 50, meaning they would not switch targets each time you gave them a move order, but would still continue trying to shoot at the enemy they were ordered to. This has the drawback of taking a shitload of time to put into the code, and would require re-writing each time there's a relic patch(lol, once every 2 years ftw). I've already offered this to be implemented, and I think I could actualy do it myself, if need be.

It would also mean that they would fire at the first unit to come into their radius and then not switch until you tell them to, which would also be problematic because now you can distract tanks like you do with machineguns using infantry and flanking, except you distract for your own tank rather than a squad with a nade or flamer. It might be a bit better, but it would also cause problems of its own...

Akranadas' Greatest Hits, Volume 1:

Quote from: Akranadas
Vet has nothing to do with unit preformance.

Quote from: Akranadas
We are serious about enforcing this, and I am sure you all want to be able to have your balance thought considered by the development team with some biased, sensationalist coming into your thread and ruining it.
Armfelt Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2009, 11:51:11 am »

I hate Tank destroyers, constantly want to hit Bergetigers instead of AT-Halftrack that is a greater threat in short terms. Tongue

"Well opinions are like assholes, everybody has one."
Latios418 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2009, 03:28:03 pm »

Yes it is too fuckin' bad that your tank automatically fires at the enemy tank before it fires at enemy infantry. Oh wait that's what you wanted it to do.

This, to me, proves you know absolutely nothing about Company of Heroes and are just trying to troll by acting like you know everything.

Anonymous 06/19/09(Fri)11:55 No.4931966

Is Akranadas in this thread? Fucker can't stop bragging about his "waifu taldeer" and cosplaying in an eldar farseer costume while shouting "Flithy monkeighs!" interspaced with random eldar gibberish.
brn4meplz Offline
Misinformation Officer

« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2009, 03:39:52 pm »

If you want a tank that auto targets infantry and not tanks take tetrarch's. The auto target infantry and it's damn annoying.

Face it, theres screwed up priorities out there for vehicles and infantry sometimes. not only would it be a bitch to go through and find what should target what, but changing it would be a hassle too. Also, sometimes what you want your unit to auto target isn't what someone else wants their unit to auto target.

He thinks Tactics is a breath mint

Wow I think that was the nicest thing brn ever posted!  Tongue

the pussy of a prostitute is not tight enough for destroy a condom Wink
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2009, 03:42:11 pm »

We could probably fix those priorities easily.  :-)
Bubz Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2009, 03:43:53 pm »

like tanks targetting bergetiger instead of other offensive tanks xD
Latios418 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2009, 03:55:25 pm »

Face it, theres screwed up priorities out there for vehicles and infantry sometimes. not only would it be a bitch to go through and find what should target what, but changing it would be a hassle too. Also, sometimes what you want your unit to auto target isn't what someone else wants their unit to auto target.

Changing the priority against everything to 60 fixes both of these problems, you just have to do the work of changing values with no further decisions to be made, and it targets the last thing you gave an attack order against instead of something else.
EscforrealityTLS Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2009, 04:00:16 pm »

That's a terrible idea dude. So a Sherman has the exact same priority as a single rifleman to a AT unit?

Pwanawan baby!
Latios418 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2009, 04:05:19 pm »

That's a terrible idea dude. So a Sherman has the exact same priority as a single rifleman to a AT unit?

First, it's not my idea, it's Mysthalin's idea.

Second, it's not terrible at all. Yes, it has the same priority, but when you give it an attack order, it will continue attacking that target until you give it another attack order, or move out of range. This eliminates the need for auto-targetting because you can select what's at the top of your priority list. The only time it might be a bad thing is if you uberfail at micro and can't give it an attack order when it reaches enemies =p
EscforrealityTLS Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2009, 04:17:12 pm »

No not really I like the system fine just as it is and I tell you why. When you give a unit an order to attack something it will try to kill that unit and follow that unit regardless of anything else on the field. According to your post the unit does not follow the targeted unit, that is in fact wrong.

By your previous statement:

"Changing the priority against everything to 60 fixes both of these problems, you just have to do the work of changing values with no further decisions to be made, and it targets the last thing you gave an attack order against instead of something else."

You are suggesting it would be better if a MG in a building coming up against a Tank and Infantry squad (But the tank comes into range first). The MG should soot at the tank causing no damage until it die or you retreat it? How would that system be better?

I fail to see your logic.
Latios418 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2009, 04:19:51 pm »

According to your post the unit does not follow the targeted unit, that is in fact wrong.

I never said that. Quote where I did if it's true.

You are suggesting it would be better if a MG in a building coming up against a Tank and Infantry squad (But the tank comes into range first). The MG should soot at the tank causing no damage until it die or you retreat it? How would that system be better?

How long as an MG in building been regarded as a tank again? I certainly don't remember it being that way, so it must be fairly new.

I fail to see your logic.

I fail to see your ability to read.
EscforrealityTLS Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2009, 04:32:14 pm »

Right here dude:

Second, it's not "terrible at all. Yes, it has the same priority, but when you give it an attack order, it will continue attacking that target until you give it another attack order, or move out of range."

Where you say it will continue to shoot at the unit you told it to until it moves out of range, wrong, it will follow to the edge of the map.

Indeed I've no idea what you are talking about in the second part but yeah your right MG in building =/= tank. You can't see where I'm coming from so I'm going to break it down for you.

Mg in building.
Tank comes into range. Target priority 60.
MG shoots at Tank.
Infantry Squad comes into range. Target Priority 60.
MG continues to shoot at tank as priority is that same. Tank takes zero damage.
MG must retreat or die.

Hope this clears things up. I can read perfectly fine thanks.
Latios418 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2009, 04:41:30 pm »

Where you say it will continue to shoot at the unit you told it to until it moves out of range, wrong, it will follow to the edge of the map.

Even if it does follow it, it doesn't mean it's firing at it. It's possible to get out of range if you're faster than it, ie engine damage or it's a King Tiger.

You can't see where I'm coming from so I'm going to break it down for you.

I will do something similar for you.

Machinegun support team, in building or not, is not a tank
Only tank gets priorities equalized

See, how easy was that? Maybe in the future you can learn to read so you won't embarrass yourself.
EscforrealityTLS Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2009, 04:45:08 pm »

"Changing the priority against everything to 60 fixes both of these problems, you just have to do the work of changing values with no further decisions to be made, and it targets the last thing you gave an attack order against instead of something else."

Where in that statement did you say "For tanks"?
Latios418 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2009, 04:48:41 pm »

I was simply restating the idea that Mysthalin's post from a previous page, I did go into full detail. It is not my fault you are unable to read the entire topic.
Killer344 Offline
The Inquisitor

« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2009, 06:07:21 pm »

nope, you are unable to express yourself better to avoid trolling, Latios.

If I get shot and it's a gay medic fixing me up, he's not gonna be fondling my balls while he does it. You can't patch a chest wound and suck a cock at the same time.
Malevolence Offline
Donator

« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2009, 08:22:51 pm »

This, to me, proves you know absolutely nothing about Company of Heroes and are just trying to troll by acting like you know everything.

Alright cool. Where's the proof, dawg? Spit it out, I wanna see it.

Quote from: Brn4meplz

Quote from: Unknown
We could probably fix those priorities easily.  :-)

It's basically impossible to "fix" targeting priorities. They're on the whole fine as they are now, with a few notable exceptions (tetrarch) that may need looking at. Then if you do "fix" them, other people will whine that they aren't right and they should be X, or Y, or Z... better to just leave good enough alone in this instance, I feel, unless you guys want a lot of tedious code copy pasting to suck up time you should be devoting to war map.

like tanks targetting bergetiger instead of other offensive tanks xD

It's because the Berge is on a tiger chassis. It's an easy mistake to make for the tank crew, and makes the berge tactically more useful than a giant pioneer with a wonky movement system (I've seen bergetiger breakthroughs before using heavy crush and the targeting priority to make way for a swarm of lighter vehicles and tanks for instance).

Quote from: Latios
First, it's not my idea, it's Mysthalin's idea.

Second, it's not terrible at all. Yes, it has the same priority, but when you give it an attack order, it will continue attacking that target until you give it another attack order, or move out of range. This eliminates the need for auto-targetting because you can select what's at the top of your priority list. The only time it might be a bad thing is if you uberfail at micro and can't give it an attack order when it reaches enemies =p

So it'll be the same as it is now, then. When you reach enemies you give your units an attack order and they attack the target you want. When they move in the "everything 60" system, however, they will autoacquire the CLOSEST target rather than the highest priority one (given everything has the same priority).

It might sometimes be a bit better, but often times it'll be a LOT worse...

Quote from: Latios
I was simply restating the idea that Mysthalin's post from a previous page, I did go into full detail. It is not my fault you are unable to read the entire topic.

When elaborating on another person's point it is best to explicitly reference their point via a quotation to avoid confusion.
gamesguy2 Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2009, 08:45:14 pm »

Giving everything the same priority is a terrible idea.

What if you have a single shrek squad?  In the current system the dude with the shrek will fire at tanks while the 3 rifles will fire at infantry.  If everything had the same priority the entire squad must fire at a tank or infantry, which is stupid.
overfreeze222 Offline
Content Creator

« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2009, 08:50:34 pm »

is there a way to base a units priorities off os its upgrades, say, a Up-gunned sherman rolls up against a stgu and a lmg squad, can u make it so that a 76 mm sherman will fire a t the stug, where as an un upgunned sherman will auto fire at inf?

Never EVER not cut leave out the blood drippings on a computer case.
I did, and the Power-supply literally EXPLODED.
The most uncomprehensible post on the forums... Ever.
tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2009, 09:05:50 pm »

I wanna know why my croc targets the enemy tank instead of the shrek squad standing beside it. I target the shrek squad, but soon as I move it targets the Armor. Kinda hard to micro that way!!

Geez, while Wind was banned I forgot that he is, in fact, totally insufferable
I'm not going to lie Tig, 9/10 times you open your mouth, I'm overwhelmed with the urge to put my foot in it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc