Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 22, 2024, 01:29:30 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Back Capping -- Discussion  (Read 12455 times)
GarnierMcGarvey Offline
Community Mapper

« on: June 25, 2009, 06:27:22 am »

I think it would be good to discuss back-capping, and ways to make it more difficult/less rewarding on maps.  I've had ideas but I they may be too different, I only want to do things people would be ok playing with.

1. Usually, on a map, there are two rows of sectors across the width on each end where the spawns are.  Then there are all the middle sectors, however many are used. 

2. Backcapping doesn't work if the cappers get cut off.

So how can we manipulate this so back capping doesn't work?  I have one question, are the back HQ sectors always cap-able by the side that they belong to?  I think this is so.  If it is, a good way to make far back capping not work would be to leave a strip of null territory between each of the far back sectors such that they do not connect to each other.  This would mean to cap the far rear sectors, the closer sectors also need to be capped and connected.  This would do a lot in my opinion, and pretty much end the occasional ridiculous back-capping scenarios.

Another thought was to have fewer sectors in the rear than usual, so that a larger portion of the important territory was in the middle.  This would help regardless, even if only a little bit.  The imbalancing factor to consider would be making defense too strong since they'd have a larger proportion of the sectors in their control at the beginning.

What are your ideas, and do mine (especially the first one) seem OK to use?

Duckordie Offline
Community Mapper

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 06:29:53 am »

"Back Capping!!!!" Is a common use word for: "I can´t defend my Flanks!!!!!"

this tho, there are some maps that are
50% center and 400% flanks

^<-- Duck ™ and ©

We need more axis players!:
Akranadas Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 06:37:21 am »

For one of the maps I'm (slowly) working on, I'll be having a sector layout like this. (Using Ducks France as example)

Duckordie Offline
Community Mapper

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 06:56:44 am »

I gona do a test sector play for Viking, where one side start att the side,
and the rest at the other edges of the map. like this
x= starting point

Code:
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
I             xxx               I
I                                I
I x                            xI  
I               x                I
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
GarnierMcG2 Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 07:00:46 am »

For one of the maps I'm (slowly) working on, I'll be having a sector layout like this.
You mean you're going to have 44 sectors?   Shocked
Baine Offline
Steven Spielberg

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 07:02:44 am »

For one of the maps I'm (slowly) working on, I'll be having a sector layout like this.
You mean you're going to have 44 sectors?   Shocked

And the right side has more sectors.

Guderian Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 08:05:19 am »

Probably miss calculation due to map.

Eir customer support staff.
Akranadas Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 08:29:17 am »

It's an example
Baine Offline
Steven Spielberg

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 09:01:24 am »

It's an example

A bad one as we all found out already Tongue
Killer344 Offline
The Inquisitor

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 09:04:34 am »

Backcapping is one of the few ways to defeat the campy wher strats.

If I get shot and it's a gay medic fixing me up, he's not gonna be fondling my balls while he does it. You can't patch a chest wound and suck a cock at the same time.
CafeMilani Offline
Aloha

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 09:09:29 am »

backcapping is just avoiding to fight the enemy
there r 2 types of backcappers: the arty spammer who camps himself and only tries to backcap and the 'usual' backcappers

Warlight Offline
Donator

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2009, 09:18:16 am »

It is a valid if annoying stratagy.  What makes it worse is when vehicles can cap and its just one half track going around being annoying. 

If its a squad it will just happen if they are actualy trying to do something.  But then, back capping can happen if you actualy make an attack as well.

You can try to adjust your map, but the only sort of map that will prevent it I think is if you made one that had nothing but long thin sectros all the way accross.  Might be interesting to try once.

GrandRoyale Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2009, 10:07:12 am »

Forgive me for being a noob (I just realized what back capping meant after reading this thread today), I would tend to think back capping is a legitimate tactic; yeah it may be annoying, a back capper may be a coward for refusing to fight head on, etc., what is wrong with cutting off your enemy's supply lines?  Heck, McArthor did it in the Pacific against the Japanese, and that's just one of numerous examples.  What's the controversy all about?

~Grand

The true soldier fights, not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.  ~G.K. Chesterton
GarnierMcGarvey Offline
Community Mapper

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2009, 10:10:44 am »

I agree that it isn't unfair, imbalanced or an exploit -- it's fine to do, it just seems people in general would rather if it was less easy to do, cause it's not as fun, at least in many opinions.  But, if most people like it being possible that's cool.
Bubz Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2009, 10:24:33 am »

Backcapping is one of the few ways to defeat the campy wher strats.
lol
Groundfire Offline
EIRR community manager
EIR Veteran

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2009, 10:41:52 am »

"Back Capping!!!!" Is a common use word for: "I can´t defend my Flanks!!!!!"

Fo Sho my good sir.

Dont see the problem here, it's lazy to take back capping out of the game. Then you get those wierd maps with the single sectors, giving the maps 4-5 hot spots and leaving the rest of the map vacant empty space.

Latest Shoutcast:
EIRR Groundcast 11 "The Super Dev Showdown!!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOGm79rXWhU (full version)

Mysthalin Offline
Tired King of Stats

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2009, 11:25:50 am »

Back-capping, as annoying as it is, is perfectly legitimate.

Not to mention it gives you an excuse as to why you have lost, without demeaning your all-pwn'ing skillz and without discrediting your ever-lating uber-rape of the enemy.

I would like to end this by leaving the impression of "lol" and that I'm going to buy 3 callins of 1 HT just to backcap people by unlocking mobility ^^.

CrazyWR Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2009, 12:07:25 pm »

too bad mobility still isn't in...I've been wanting to do that for a long time  Undecided

1. New tactics? it's like JAWS, first one in the water dies

RCA-land where shells fall like raindrops and the Captain is an invincible god
Kolath Offline
Commander, 2nd Infantry Division

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2009, 02:47:53 pm »

GarnierMcGarvey, good discussion you've got going here.

I think that in general back-capping is a valid strategy and in some cases is the only way to defeat particularly dug-in opponents.  However, on some maps and in some situations it can turn into an annoying game of tag where people run around trying to cap as much as possible.

This problem occurs most often on square maps.  But in general I would say it is a map issue rather than a general gameplay issue.

Kolath's Quote Commandments:
1. Thou shalt not quote the entirety of a post 3 or less posts above you
2. Thou shalt not quote more than 2 nested levels
3. Thou shalt not quote large blocks of text when one sentence would do
4. Thou shalt not quote images!
Tymathee Offline
Donator

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2009, 03:14:24 pm »

Forgive me for being a noob (I just realized what back capping meant after reading this thread today), I would tend to think back capping is a legitimate tactic; yeah it may be annoying, a back capper may be a coward for refusing to fight head on, etc., what is wrong with cutting off your enemy's supply lines?  Heck, McArthor did it in the Pacific against the Japanese, and that's just one of numerous examples.  What's the controversy all about?

~Grand

I have to agree here. I use it every now and then when I'm either...

1. Low on resources and really only h ave infantry and can't fight anyway.
2. There's an area of the map thats hard to break through, but they're leaving a flank open
3. Use it as a valid tactic to distract the enemy away from their main point of attack, opening another flank

thats just how i use it not now its used. Now, there are others who dont know how to play very well and when they get frustrated start back capping because they dont know any other way to go but yea it's a valid tactic and if you leave your flank that wide open, you deserve to be back capped.

I once backcapped the enemies entire spawn sector so they couldn't move forward anymore when we were having issues gaining ground and were being pushed back, thus stopping their advance, so they had to come back, take me out thus leaving that front open and we were able to push back. Just one of many ways to use that to your advantage.

"I want proof!"
"I have proof!"
"Whatever, I'm still right"

Dafuq man, don't ask for proof if you'll refuse it if it's not in your favor, logic fallacy for the bloody win.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc