Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 18, 2024, 12:18:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[October 14, 2024, 02:38:41 pm]

[October 05, 2024, 07:29:20 am]

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [CW] Emplacement packup problem  (Read 5402 times)
Groundfire Offline
EIRR community manager
EIR Veteran

« on: September 18, 2009, 08:47:03 am »

Problem: So, ive been messing around with 17pnders and Bofors lately, and ive found a really glaring problem in regards to their survivability and utility.

When you click the pack up button to relocate the emplacement, you begin an unstoppable 15-20 second timer (dont remember exact time) where the gun is inoperable, and inactive.

There has been many a time, during this 20 seconds that the emplacements wont fire, that the area opens up into intense fighting, and the guns wont fire back.

I subsequently get all my mobile forces blown off the field because I have 7-14 pop sitting there doing nothing. Then the enemy goes back to finish off the emplacements.

There has also been times when the enemy knows the guns are inoperable, and they refuse to fire on the emplacements untill the crew hops out of the emplacement, and then the crew gets blown away.

I cant, recrew these weapons, and they cant be moved fast, so literally, a push of the button could ruin my doomfort.

Solution: Allow the "Halt" button to Halt the pack up of the emplacement. If one was able to stop this pack up count down, then this problem would be avoided.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 08:55:13 am by Groundfire » Logged

Latest Shoutcast:
EIRR Groundcast 11 "The Super Dev Showdown!!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOGm79rXWhU (full version)

Tymathee Offline
Donator

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 10:19:19 am »

I agree. It would be nice to be able tto stop the timer. Also try moving them in transports, works out pretty well to not get them kills b4 they get where you want them to go.

"I want proof!"
"I have proof!"
"Whatever, I'm still right"

Dafuq man, don't ask for proof if you'll refuse it if it's not in your favor, logic fallacy for the bloody win.
Draken Offline
Chess master
EIR Veteran

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 10:21:27 am »

You know what I would do if there was stop button? I would always have my emplecaments in "unpacking" stage and every time when I would spot enemy I would press stop, it would be to easy to abuse.
Groundfire Offline
EIRR community manager
EIR Veteran

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 10:29:18 am »

You know what I would do if there was stop button? I would always have my emplecaments in "unpacking" stage and every time when I would spot enemy I would press stop, it would be to easy to abuse.

Wait... that was the idea I was going for. Provided it doesnt effect the reload timer and cooldown, (packup, halt, packup, halt, etc.) I would like to hit halt to have them drop what they're doing and fire their stupid gun.

I mean, they're already easy enough to take out as it is, let alone having a huge gap of time where the emplacements are extremely vulnerable.

Tymathee Offline
Donator

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 11:27:44 am »

there's a 30 second timer, so every 30 seconds you'd cycle in and out of halt and unpack? Come on...and then when you mess up and really unpack it then you have to repack it and then there's another 15-20 seconds of it dropping down and in that state you can't halt it because then you lose the emplacement.
Hicks359
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 11:33:20 am »

Why not simply fix it so it can fire while it's re-packing, assuming it's possible?

Wont be anything new to exploit then - Assuming that fixing this issue is a possibility.
Mysthalin Offline
Tired King of Stats

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 11:54:06 am »

it still fires when unpacking - just tell it to attack something. It just doesn't auto-target anymore.

Don't think there is actually any issue, other than campy play sucking in general.

Groundfire Offline
EIRR community manager
EIR Veteran

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 11:59:11 am »

it still fires when unpacking - just tell it to attack something. It just doesn't auto-target anymore.

Don't think there is actually any issue, other than campy play sucking in general.

If that's the case, then I see no problem as well.
VERTIGGO3 Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2009, 07:46:03 pm »

The only problem with emplacements is that they get a free repair every time they pack up.
spinn72 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 08:05:47 pm »

The only problem with emplacements is that they get a free repair every time they pack up.

Hence why they take so long to pack up.  Remember also Packing up loses All vet on the unit

It's best to just set up the emplacement once and be done with it, it works for most medium-large sized maps.

fallensoldier7 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 08:14:28 pm »

If packing up loses all the vet on the unit then how in the world do you get a vetted 17 pounder?

spinn72 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2009, 08:21:32 pm »

Deploy it mid-late game and let it get a couple kills before you push forward and start using it as a defense.

I had a vet2 Bofors for a while myself.

You can also retreat the crew and recrew the gun with another squad and it will gain around 50% HP anyway.

Many ways to get vet, the only way to lose it is to lose the crew while building, lose the weapon with the crew inside or unpack the gun.
Killer344 Offline
The Inquisitor

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2009, 08:23:36 pm »

If packing up loses all the vet on the unit then how in the world do you get a vetted 17 pounder?

Same way as Flakvierlings/Flaks do it  Tongue.

If I get shot and it's a gay medic fixing me up, he's not gonna be fondling my balls while he does it. You can't patch a chest wound and suck a cock at the same time.
fallensoldier7 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2009, 08:24:35 pm »

Wait, so I can use the retreat function on the emplacement to preserve the veterancy?

Same way as Flakvierlings/Flaks do it  Tongue.

Lol I've never used flaks before.  How do you do it?  Keep it alive at the end of the game?
anthony210 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2009, 08:31:17 pm »

I disagree,  emplacements should have a time when they are unable to fire if your packing them.  Otherwise it would be to easy to pick up and move emplacements whenever you wanted.

It would be very easily abused if the gun could fire while packing up.  Im pretty sure the reason they cannot fire is because they are packing up the gun.

Groundfire Offline
EIRR community manager
EIR Veteran

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2009, 08:38:32 pm »

I disagree,  emplacements should have a time when they are unable to fire if your packing them.  Otherwise it would be to easy to pick up and move emplacements whenever you wanted.

It would be very easily abused if the gun could fire while packing up.  Im pretty sure the reason they cannot fire is because they are packing up the gun.

If any other support weapon acted like this, and you could not recrew it after it has been killed, im quite sure you would be asking for a change. In terms of 17pnders, its 380mp and 110muni down the drain with no way to save it.

Players with 88s wouldnt stand for it, if the gun went active for a minute with no way to stop the packup.

edit- also, i believe if you halt the packup, the pack up timer should be reset, and the gun should fire. This is not the case right now. You cant stop the pack up and it leaves gigantic holes in your line.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 08:40:39 pm by Groundfire » Logged
anthony210 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2009, 08:40:49 pm »

Support weapons are not emplacements.  An HMG is carried by a man and can be dropped.

An emplacement includes the gun and the actual emplacement, plus the men inside.  Its totally differant.

An HMG cannot fire while its setting up or getting up...  Would you be ok with letting an MG fire its gun while its setting up?  Im not asking for that change just making a comparison.  It would be absurd to allow a gun to fire while the men are trying to pack it up to relocate.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 08:42:34 pm by anthony210 » Logged
Groundfire Offline
EIRR community manager
EIR Veteran

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2009, 08:52:58 pm »

Support weapons are not emplacements.  An HMG is carried by a man and can be dropped.

An emplacement includes the gun and the actual emplacement, plus the men inside.  Its totally differant.

An HMG cannot fire while its setting up or getting up...  Would you be ok with letting an MG fire its gun while its setting up?  Im not asking for that change just making a comparison.  It would be absurd to allow a gun to fire while the men are trying to pack it up to relocate.

Totally different situation, anthony.

support weapons may not be emplacements, but emplacements are support weapons, and if empalcements had a 3 second setup time like other support weapons, then I would be inclined to agree with you.

HMGs can be dropped, yes, but along the same train of thought, a 17pnder can be dropped and cannot be reused. ATGs should never just "vanish" because their crew got killed, but this is the direction that EIRR has chosen to go in terms of design.

What we have here is a ATG that takes a god damn minute to move.

If a different kind of support weapon is being shelled indirectly, then you would want to move it. Same with emplacements. But once you initiate the pack up, it cant be stopped.

What if (and this does happen), the area erupts into fighting?
I would rather have my emplacement be shelled to death while it takes out a few tanks/inf in the process, just like I would want a normal support weapon to stop, setup and begin firing, if it were in the same situation.

Other support weapons have at worst a 3 second setup time, and ATGs have a short windup time, so this is not an issue as it is with emplacements.
fallensoldier7 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2009, 08:56:29 pm »

You cant stop the pack up and it leaves gigantic holes in your line.

The 17 pounder is 4 pop.  What's the other of your 20+ pop doing?
Groundfire Offline
EIRR community manager
EIR Veteran

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2009, 08:58:06 pm »

You cant stop the pack up and it leaves gigantic holes in your line.

The 17 pounder is 4 pop.  What's the other of your 20+ pop doing?

Dieing to ostwinds, and other shit because that 17pnder is sitting there doing nothing.

I dont think you quite understand how fast a defense can fold if a directional weapon is turned in the wrong direction.... or in this case, not working.

20 pop, thats what, 2 tommies, an LT, mabey a vickers team and a sapper squad?
or a crom, a bren tommy and an LT,

That kind of build could get rolled very very easily if your primary AT on the field goes inactive for a minute.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 09:04:45 pm by Groundfire » Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc