Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 21, 2024, 11:01:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lack of new QUALITY maps!  (Read 6431 times)
anthony210 Offline
EIR Veteran

« on: September 22, 2009, 02:16:39 am »

Before I get started I would like to say I definatly appreciate the time spent by the mappers that have actually been producing new maps.

Having said that...

Once again I browsed over on the dark sides forum and noticed something.  They have a bunch of new maps.  And not just new maps but QUALITY new maps.

Ive noticed that a bunch of the new maps that are getting added to the launcher are not quality maps.  By quality I mean balanced and nearly finalized versions of maps.  In fact some maps are getting called final before they are even played or have a loading screen.  Some maps have obvious bugs and pathing issues.  Some are pure copies of vCoH maps edited for EIR.

I challenge our expert mappers, INCLUDING our map team lead who hasnt created a new map since Nuenen...  Unkown your the map team lead, come on and create some new maps to earn your title.

I would make maps myself but I am horrible at it.

Smokaz Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 02:25:59 am »

Hear hear. It's too bad "whom-shall-not-be-named" has hogged so many good new maps, it's really a shame.

What one man needs to do is sit down with the mighty gods Thor and Zeus, and draw the ultimate undeniably best map ever for one of the mapheads to make, a map that will be so good to play people will be asking for a copy of the .rgd file to be put in their coffin when they die so they can hug it forever.

But who could we ever trust with this sinful desire, this need to draw a sketch of a map so full of kickass that Chuck Norris falls unconcious off of his chair when he loads the map?

SlippedHerTheBigOne: big penis puma
SlippedHerTheBigOne: and i have no repairkits
SlippedHerTheBigOne: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
anthony210 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 02:29:04 am »

I have an idea in the works that "might" motivate some of our mappers to take the time and effort it takes to produce a great map.

More will be posted about this later tonight or tomorrow once the details are worked out.
Killer344 Offline
The Inquisitor

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 03:22:41 pm »

Find a way to motivate mappers is on my schedule.

If I get shot and it's a gay medic fixing me up, he's not gonna be fondling my balls while he does it. You can't patch a chest wound and suck a cock at the same time.
Draken Offline
Chess master
EIR Veteran

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 03:29:07 pm »

I assure you that this is not good way to motivate them.

Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 05:07:37 pm »

I don't know why all the mappers run to OMG even though EIR has a bigger active community to enjoy the maps.
I guess free development positions work like a charm :s

Anyway we've been over this a million times, I'm still of the opinion the community is too small to be doing the whole 'exclusive crap' but GamerAndy has already stated that the 'exclusive maps' are too much of a promotional weapon for the OMG mod to let go of.

I guess the mod thing is now serious, corporate, business.

Shame, I wish we could all get along.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 05:10:04 pm by Unkn0wn » Logged
Warlight Offline
Donator

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 05:15:19 pm »

Well, I tell you what, I know we don't want to flood peoples computers with crappy untested maps, but, its kinda a pain to test a map with people.

I've got Woodland ridge ready, the sectors work and cap, its pretty polished.  But the only way to know if its good is to have people play it.   

The easiest thing to get them play would be to through it in the launcher for a day or two since their are not any patches that need to be downloaded.  That would get it out to peoples computers and and take 60% of the difficulty for map testing.  The difficulty being getting people to dowload said maps and put them in their archive folders manualy.

But I do understand theres needs to be some quality control, to make sure your not wasting bandwidth on broken maps.
Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 05:17:16 pm »

Hopefully we will have a way to download 'unofficial' test maps in the launcher some day.
Right now though it just seems like a lot of *new* maps I end up throwing in for everyone to download have absolutely no people playing them because apparantely they're not good enough:(.
Skaevola Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2009, 05:25:27 pm »

I don't know why all the mappers run to OMG even though EIR has a bigger active community to enjoy the maps.
I guess free development positions work like a charm :s

Anyway we've been over this a million times, I'm still of the opinion the community is too small to be doing the whole 'exclusive crap' but GamerAndy has already stated that the 'exclusive maps' are too much of a promotional weapon for the OMG mod to let go of.

I guess the mod thing is now serious, corporate, business.

Shame, I wish we could all get along.

Easy to say when one side has everything to gain.
salan Offline
Synergies TL2 mod!

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 05:29:11 pm »

I'll add all maps into FOF and test them there, its a great test bed for filtering out things needing to be fixed before dumping it on EIR.

and as far as the competition with OMG is, who cares.  Its basically an irrelevant discussion, its no different then saying Eastern front has all these maps, it sucks they never released them.  Or battle of the bulge. 

People either need to stand up and do something themselves, or not complain, its the only way things get done.

Warlight Offline
Donator

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 06:42:34 pm »

Hopefully we will have a way to download 'unofficial' test maps in the launcher some day.
Right now though it just seems like a lot of *new* maps I end up throwing in for everyone to download have absolutely no people playing them because apparantely they're not good enough:(.

Well the new warmap will be a start.  Forest maps like mine will fit in nicely for forested sectors.  Perhaps when and if we have an idea what the war maps going to look like, we can start making maps to represent al the sectors.
puddin Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2009, 07:11:37 pm »

I would make maps myself but I am horrible at it.

Get better and sauddenly we can see if your maps are worth calling shitty and not quality enoguh to put on.  Then your ranting will be self loathing. 

You can;t criticse mappers whn if you took a couple weeks, you could probly do it...  So either learn and help some of the mappers or i would say find some customs to put in....

Puddin' spamtm
i cant really blame smokaz i mean playing against puddin is like trying to fight off breast cancer. You might win and do it and be a bad ass but you'll feel sick and mutilated forever.

Puddin' spamtm is soulcrushing... what's hard to understand about that?
anthony210 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2009, 07:24:45 pm »

No I cant.  I have tried.  Ive been around EiR for a long time and those that know me have may have played one or two of my maps.  I am not a very artistic person nor do I have the time to create a good map right now.  I spent weeks creating the two that I made and they just never came out right.  It takes someone with some artistic skill to create a good looking map.

This is not a rant, its a fact.  We havent seen a good quality map for quite some time.  Our mappers have tried but none of the maps created in awhile have become popular.
Killer344 Offline
The Inquisitor

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2009, 07:49:37 pm »

Yes, I fully agree with you, after finalizing the new manual/bring back to life the mentor program this is the next task to do on my schedule.
EIRRMod Offline
Administrator / Lead Developer

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2009, 09:32:55 pm »

At anthony210s reminder, we will be holding a competition shortly open to all, with rewards for all.

So, if you have a half finished map, want to get it play tested for a while - polish it off and in a wee while, enter!

Quote from: brn4meplz
Shit I'm pretty sure you could offer the guy a cup of coffee and he'd try to kill you with the mug if you forgot sugar.
Quote from: tank130
That's like offering Beer to fuck the fat chick. It will work for a while, but it's not gonna last. Not only that, but there is zero motivation for the Fat chick to loose weight.
Quote from: tank130
Why don't you collect up your love beads and potpourri and find something constructive to do.
AmPM Offline
Community Mapper

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2009, 04:19:37 am »

Meh, maybe I will try and get some of my half finished maps done.

I just haven't been all that interested in the mod lately.

Falcon333 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2009, 04:37:41 am »

I'm currently fiddling around with the map making tools, seeing what I can do with it.

"Chance favors the prepared mind"
iggi Offline
Community Mapper

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2009, 07:04:06 am »

Sounds interesting.

Now that i'm back after a fresh format and reinstall, I'll be working on finishing up my two primary EiR Maps
(St Laurent/ Hoffensturgh ) .

...(Actually, i've spent all morning, well, last night into this morning, overhauling hoff.  i'm curious to see how it plays now)
Lost all my tools to convert the map into sga so seeing how lazy i can be, its really the trick of getting of my arse and doing it.

Cheers

-ig

-iG-E
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc