Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2024, 11:56:15 am

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[September 06, 2024, 11:58:09 am]

[September 05, 2024, 01:54:13 pm]

[July 16, 2024, 11:30:34 pm]

[June 22, 2024, 06:49:40 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:09:37 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kids on the net? Where do you Stand as Gamers of 18+?  (Read 10159 times)
Jection Offline
EIR Regular

« on: October 21, 2009, 08:48:59 pm »

Wink Just curious where you folks stand on this topic hehe, keep it relatively clean just not too harsh. I think that as adult gamers its our at least one responsibility in communities to treat the evolving young gamer with a healthy input mainly verbally or typed. Within vent and in the game. Sometimes when you get exposed to things you cant un-expose em ? right ? Like for example two girls one cup cannot be "unseen"

srry if my description of the topic is foggy Ill try to elaborate via replies Huh
Akranadas Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 09:12:01 pm »

You post/show anything inappropriate on either the ventrilo server, or forum; I'll ban you.

We have rules to protect our users from that kind of thing.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 09:14:17 pm by Akranadas » Logged
Malevolence Offline
Donator

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 09:40:33 pm »

The game is rated Mature for a reason.

Akranadas' Greatest Hits, Volume 1:

Quote from: Akranadas
Vet has nothing to do with unit preformance.

Quote from: Akranadas
We are serious about enforcing this, and I am sure you all want to be able to have your balance thought considered by the development team with some biased, sensationalist coming into your thread and ruining it.
Groundfire Offline
EIRR community manager
EIR Veteran

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 09:50:39 pm »

Well, nobody should ever see 2G1C ever... but good judgment on this issue should be left up to the parents.

Playing a little CoH never hurt anybody, and if you think your kid is getting messed up by games in the first place then more often than not it is a different outside influence and not a game.

Latest Shoutcast:
EIRR Groundcast 11 "The Super Dev Showdown!!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOGm79rXWhU (full version)

tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 10:57:02 pm »

okay, I'll bite...what's 2 girls 1 cup?

Geez, while Wind was banned I forgot that he is, in fact, totally insufferable
I'm not going to lie Tig, 9/10 times you open your mouth, I'm overwhelmed with the urge to put my foot in it.
Jection Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 11:05:14 pm »

I understand your forums guidelines and your measures to keep them enforced I have read the agreement and terms and rules. I will not post anything inappropriate, the "example" may have implied the wrong kind of thread unfortunately. What I was I meant to exemplify for the topic was : "What are some of your opinions on younger gamers and how the more seasoned ones effect them ?" and "Do you think the internet is free ground of course for such a matter"

Srry Ark, I personally have not seen "such" videos, but being a widely spread one I sought it as an example as to the kind of content that can effect young gamers in communities as they could be linked it by acquaintances in  their online community. Once again I will not be posting anything inappropriate and I understand the assumptions admins must make to keep their forums clean . Anyways hoping to see some thoughts on this topic of course  hehe. Pce out.  

-- look it up somewhere else tank >.> Tongue

-- some of my thoughts exactly Groundfire
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 11:07:57 pm by Jection » Logged
fallensoldier7 Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 11:17:11 pm »

Tank is such an angel  Smiley  I haven't seen the actual video yet either, but I know what it is.  Very disturbing.

@TC

Are you talking about what the community thinks about EiR players who are younger than 18 years old?

Jection Offline
EIR Regular

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 11:56:13 pm »

pretty much
Akranadas Offline
Honoured Member

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 12:45:30 am »

Older gamers should guide younger gamers to the appropriate behaviour they themselves wish others would do.
CrazyWR Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 01:09:40 am »

okay, I'll bite...what's 2 girls 1 cup?

well, if you want a general idea...this is a comedy sketch about it(SFW image wise, although you should probably turn the sound down low so only you can hear it)...its still not something I recommend watching...the whole concept is disgusting.

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1796348

« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 01:14:53 am by CrazyWR » Logged

1. New tactics? it's like JAWS, first one in the water dies

RCA-land where shells fall like raindrops and the Captain is an invincible god
Blitzen Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 06:16:45 am »

2 girls 1 cup was totally fake if you ask me.  Still don't watch it while eating.  Its much more amusing to watch ppls response to watching it.

Bullshit, only fags and girls dont like star wars Tongue
Two Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2009, 06:25:17 am »

Ive not seen it, yet know what it is, having not seen it the responses look acted lol, yet i havent seen it so they could be real Tongue

IplayForKeeps: if we were an equation
IplayForKeeps: it would be
IplayForKeeps: two = keeps
IplayForKeeps: i only have 1 friend
GrandRoyale Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2009, 08:19:19 am »

(B)ut good judgment on this issue should be left up to the parents.

Agreed.

Playing a little CoH never hurt anybody, and if you think your kid is getting messed up by games in the first place then more often than not it is a different outside influence and not a game.

I disagree, because, overall, it desensitizes one to violence and gore, and sends a message that violence is an acceptible solution to one's problems.  Now, an adult has an easier time realizing this and controlling/ignoring any emotions it may invoke, but does a youngster or adolescent who has yet to develop fully control over and understanding of his emotions?  That's where parental supervision is important.  Anyhow, I believe videos games have a driect influence over a child or adolescent in addition to outside influences.

~GR

The true soldier fights, not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.  ~G.K. Chesterton
tank130 Offline
Sugar Daddy

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2009, 08:35:10 am »

Fuck me!!!!!
You are worried about older gamers influencing younger gamers. I have never seen anything so fucked up in my life as that video 2girls.....
You young people have damaged me in a way I thought not possible.....LOL

In all seriousness, we are influenced by people around us our entire life. There are those in the world who like to blame games and television for the negative issues of some of our youth. The truth is, it starts with the parents and our judicial systems.
When a person get 4 years for murder, we have a problem with understanding "consequences for our actions."
When a parent is scared to punish their child because of "abuse" claims, we loose the ability to teach "consequences for our actions" at a young age. A time out is the stupidest form of punishment I have ever seen. It's waste of fucking time!!
When I was a kid; my dad would slap me upside the head and kick me in the ass when I did something wrong. It quickly taught me to follow the rules or the punishment would be harsh. To this day I respect my elders and respect the feelings of others; something our world truly lacks.

So in short... Inattentive parents and or parents lacking the ability to punish (by law) are the most negative impact on the minors.

This is the opinion of a 40yr old, very successful business owner.
GrandRoyale Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2009, 09:15:06 am »

Great points, tank130!  It is very upsetting and frustrating when the government interferes in a way such as you mentioned.  There are many things out there that hinder child rearing, the government should not be one of them.  Anyhow, it is the parents that give the child life before he becomes a citizen of the state, therefore, it is the parents' responsibility to raise, educate, and form his character so that he will grow to be an intelligent upright citizen and not a criminal.  And as a young parent, I see video games, especially violent and gorey games like CoH, as a hindrance to my parental responsibilities and the proper development of my children.

~GR
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 09:16:51 am by GrandRoyale » Logged
Baine Offline
Steven Spielberg

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2009, 09:23:55 am »

And this would lead us to the always ongoing discussion about beating your child as punishment or doing something else.

I would say that everyone in here(incl myself) has had a strict education in terms of, "you don't listen you get beaten" Wink
Will you do the same with your kids or not?

Another point is when the state tries to do the parents job in restricting children from viewing harmful media etc.
Everyone in germany loves the censorship that not only restricts children under the age of 18 but also everyone else Wink  *irony inside

In the end i would say that our generation will be the first that will actually care about what our children are doing on the interwebz that has become part of our daily life.

Two Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2009, 09:29:31 am »

Children need to be beaten, its why there are so many scumbags now, cos they can do whatever they want without anything ever happening. Same with school, i wouldnt take the shit my teacher took when i was there (left school 2 year ago).
GrandRoyale Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2009, 09:29:44 am »

There is a difference between beating your child, which most parents do not do, and physically disciplining your child, which a lot of parents do and many of us have experienced as a child.  To infer that a spank on the bottom is beating a child, which government likes to do, is an exaggeration, and one that government likes to exploit to gain control over children.  But this is a digression from the OP.

~GR
Groundfire Offline
EIRR community manager
EIR Veteran

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2009, 09:43:40 am »

When I was a kid; my dad would slap me upside the head and kick me in the ass when I did something wrong. It quickly taught me to follow the rules or the punishment would be harsh. To this day I respect my elders and respect the feelings of others; something our world truly lacks.

So in short... Inattentive parents and or parents lacking the ability to punish (by law) are the most negative impact on the minors.

Sounds like your quoting my relationship with my dad. Which is absolute win btw. Dont fuck up, dont get hit.

My father also pulled me aside and taught me the difference between video game violence, and real life. The only game I wasnt allowed to "OWN" while growing up was Grand Theft Auto, but he trusted my judgment when it came down to things like video games.
Blitzen Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2009, 10:17:11 am »

Haha, see, all the cool people got beat.  Thats how it should be, me and my dad work together in construction and I was raised with the Iron Fist.  Didn't make me turn out bad, we still have a great time together and I have respect for those who deserve it.  To many kids these days have parents that let them get away with everything.  And I have no doubt my children will one day feel the sting of my hand Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc