Account

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:33:41 am

Login with username, password and session length

Resources

Recent posts

[April 25, 2024, 04:28:22 am]

[April 22, 2024, 03:40:53 am]

[April 21, 2024, 12:02:54 pm]

[April 06, 2024, 02:26:25 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:38 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:13:13 am]

[March 08, 2024, 12:12:54 am]

[December 30, 2023, 08:00:58 pm]

[February 04, 2023, 11:46:41 am]

[December 25, 2022, 11:36:26 am]
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Avatar  (Read 24133 times)
Illegal_Carrot Offline
Global Moderator

« on: December 18, 2009, 05:43:40 am »

Hey guys, I've been gone for a while, for a lot of reasons, but now that midterms/finals are done, I'll be back for a bit.

First things first: See Avatar.
I could go on and on about the film's great plot, the awesome atmosphere, stunning visuals, great attention to detail, unique ideas, the wonderful use of 3D, etc etc, but I won't (becasue I just got back from the midnight showing, and it's almost 4AM).

What I will say is this: Saving Private Ryan used to be my favorite movie, for numerous reasons. Ten years later, District 9 came along and stole my love: truly the best, most engrossing piece of story telling I had seen in a long time.
And here, only six months later, D9 has been topped. Just do yourself a favor and see Avatar as soon as you can, you won't regret it (see D9, too, if you haven't already).

What sucks, though, is that the there's no way the rest of my Winter break will be anywhere near as awesome as tonight was.

Rifle87654: Give me reward points.
Brn4meplz: I'm drunk.
deadbolt Offline
Probably Banned
EIR Veteran

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 06:06:16 am »

they look like a bunch of smurfs, and i actually mean smurfs. not a bunch of new accounts mkay.

DERDBERT
Like Jesus, Keeps died for us

He made a funny thread for bear, and got banned.

Now bear makes his own funny thread. It's unsurprisingly not funny.

Keeps died for our funny threads.
Killer344 Offline
The Inquisitor

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 06:09:42 am »

lol..

If I get shot and it's a gay medic fixing me up, he's not gonna be fondling my balls while he does it. You can't patch a chest wound and suck a cock at the same time.
Blitzen Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 06:28:14 am »

lol, You sound like me, I just watched Disctrict 9 again last night... and seeing Avatar this weekend... been waiting foreverrr

Bullshit, only fags and girls dont like star wars Tongue
Two Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 08:17:16 am »

D9 sucked ass, it was ok first time to watch, but shit everytime after. Not like gladiator which is the best movie ever.

Is this movie worth watching in a average cinema with mates or is it worth watching alone/with family in a mega cinema which is like literally 20x as better as the local cinema?

IplayForKeeps: if we were an equation
IplayForKeeps: it would be
IplayForKeeps: two = keeps
IplayForKeeps: i only have 1 friend
3rdCondor Offline
Donator

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 10:04:12 am »

they look like a bunch of smurfs, and i actually mean smurfs. not a bunch of new accounts mkay.

lol very true

No tits, but i will bake a cake then eat it in honour of Sir Condor The 3rd
fuck the pgren rifle, fucking dogshit weapon
My beautiful black pussy won
BeRzErKeR Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 10:57:41 am »

Is Avatar much like District 9? In my opinion District 9 was bad. I hated to plot, and the characters.
TheWindCriesMary Offline
The Ethics Police
EIR Veteran

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 01:26:55 pm »

Is Avatar much like District 9? In my opinion District 9 was bad. I hated to plot, and the characters.

From all accounts and purposes avatar is like the star wars of our time - its going to be that revolutionary.

-Wind

Vermillion Hawk: Do you ever make a post that doesnt make you come across as an extreme douchebag?

Just sayin'
Two Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 03:02:20 pm »

Bullshit, only fags and girls dont like star wars Tongue
Illegal_Carrot Offline
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 04:26:42 pm »

Damn, a lot of hate from a lot of scrubs.

The movie's gotten a ton of positive reviews from Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic, so if good reviews are all you're looking for, there you go.

All I can say is don't be afraid of giving it shot, and don't carry with you any pre-conceived notions about the movie. I, too, went in pretty skeptical, thinking that it might be some lame movie about smurfs in space or some stupid crap, but it was not. It really is unlike anything you've seen before, or anything that has been done in movies before.

D9 was bad? What's wrong with you??
But no, Avatar isn't too similar to D9; yes, there are some connections that can be drawn between the two, but it's nothing major, and disliking D9 won't play any role in how well you like Avatar.

Is this movie worth watching in a average cinema with mates or is it worth watching alone/with family in a mega cinema which is like literally 20x as better as the local cinema?
It depends, what exactly makes it 20x better? Though honestly, I felt that the movie was so engrossing that I wouldn't care who I saw it with. It wasn't a 'see it only with friends' movie or anything, you could see it with friends, a date, family, whatever (so long as you see it in Real 3D).

And that's another thing, you need to see it in a Real 3D theater. The 3D was used so well to enhance the movie, but not in the 'shit flies out of the screen at you and it looks like you can touch it' way. The extra ~$4 charge for the 3D glasses and every is definitely worth it, it was just integrated so well.
Groundfire Offline
EIRR community manager
EIR Veteran

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 04:28:44 pm »

Im going to go see it tonight in the Chicago Imax! fuck yeah it sounds awesome!

Latest Shoutcast:
EIRR Groundcast 11 "The Super Dev Showdown!!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOGm79rXWhU (full version)

Unkn0wn Offline
No longer retired

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2009, 06:18:14 pm »

To be honest, Avatar sounds vastly overrated.
AmPM Offline
Community Mapper

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2009, 06:27:00 pm »

And its just as made up as Belgium, the French and German puppet state =)

deadbolt Offline
Probably Banned
EIR Veteran

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2009, 01:35:58 pm »

stfu you prawns, rofl d9. what a fuckin fail film. as if you call aliens prawns u fuckin mong directors
AmPM Offline
Community Mapper

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2009, 01:41:08 pm »

Why wouldn't you call them Prawns? They kinda look like em. Cause yea, people have never ever made up a derogatory comment about another race at all right?
crimsonrabbit Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2009, 01:55:30 pm »

watch Avatar on IMAX 3D. Trust me, it is worth the experience. You feel like you are in the movie.
Also, it's so...different then anything I have ever watched, which is why it is so good.

Don't rip on a movie w/o seeing it first or at least reading the reviews.

I defy all laws of scienceee.

This is Bunny.
Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination
(\__/)
(+'.'+)
(")_(")
Groundfire Offline
EIRR community manager
EIR Veteran

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2009, 06:19:19 pm »

I just got back. It is that good. Not kidding.

Illegal_Carrot Offline
Global Moderator

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2009, 08:28:38 pm »

I saw it a second time last night with some friends (technically I saw it twice in one day, as I went to a 12:01AM showing, then a 10:55PM showing). It was just as amazing the second time as it was the first.
The first time I saw it, I went in a skeptic, but got swept away, and was totally engrossed by the movie the entire time. This time, however, I was more or less in 'critic' mode, and figured I'd find a bunch of things I didn't like about the movie. Nope.
The plot was a bit of a rehash of other stories (though, honestly, what story isn't a retelling of others?), but it was covered up and presented so well that I didn't realize it the first time, and didn't care the the second. I can't really find anything wrong with the movie, and certainly nothing major. I'd honestly be willing to see it a third or even fourth time, it's just so damn good.
3rdCondor Offline
Donator

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2009, 09:54:41 pm »

I work at a theater and it was TERRIBLY CROWDED! Avatar has been selling out insanely. To be honest with you guys, I wasn't expecting it to be quite as busy simply because it's just the way it is. Movies like Batman and sherlock holmes are easily sellouts, but avatar is a little bit more narrow in it's audience. The real moment when it hit me that I was completely wrong (lol) was when I looked at the directors name, James Cameron. Cameron did Titanic.....the end. Titanic is the most successful box office hit in the history of cinema (over 2 billion dollars in box office sales). He also did terminators 1 and 2, which are the best ever! Cameron is just amazing so of course avatar would be amazing. MUST SEE!!
Skaevola Offline
EIR Veteran

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2009, 11:10:55 pm »

Just saw this, and was very entertained.

The plot is pretty basic and the characterization was pretty stock, but the movie is very entertaining. The special effects are amazing, and the story is very emotionally engrossing. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

TinyPortal v1.0 beta 4 © Bloc